Mutleybm1996
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just to check, if a balance can measure with a graduation of 0.1g is it's tolerance therefore 0.05grams?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1445490
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes any reading have a tolerance of + or - 0.05g
Shadoo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Mutleybm1996)
Just to check, if a balance can measure with a graduation of 0.1g is it's tolerance therefore 0.05grams?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes if the unit is to 1 decimal place then then their is an uncertainty margin of +/- 0.05 e.g. 0.05 would be shown as 0.1 and 0.149 would be shown as 0.1 therefore the actual value could lie anywhere within 0.05<x<0.15
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shadoo)
Yes if the unit is to 1 decimal place then then their is an uncertainty margin of +/- 0.05 e.g. 0.05 would be shown as 0.1 and 0.149 would be shown as 0.1 therefore the actual value could lie anywhere within 0.05<x<0.15
Thank you for your quick response.
I should post this in the Physics forum but I never seem to get a reply so I was wondering if you could help me with this too:

i have a ruler that can measure +-0.5mm, i use this to take a measurement for the length of a piece of card, this gives me 194+-0.5mm, i then use this in a light gate to measure speed, what can the lightgate therefore measure to?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you for your quick response.
I should post this in the Physics forum but I never seem to get a reply so I was wondering if you could help me with this too:

i have a ruler that can measure +-0.5mm, i use this to take a measurement for the length of a piece of card, this gives me 194+-0.5mm, i then use this in a light gate to measure speed, what can the lightgate therefore measure to?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that the exact question?
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
Is that the exact question?
Yes, my teacher isn't very good at phrasing questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Shadoo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, my teacher isn't very good at phrasing questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
well the lightgate would be measuring speed so the light gate can measure to (194 ± 0.50)mm/time which depends on how accurate it times it.
Mutleybm1996
Rep:
?
well the lightgate would be measuring speed so the light gate can measure to (194 ± 0.50)mm/time which depends on how accurate it times it.
Thank you, could you possibly reiterate the difference between Tolerance and Uncertainty?
Also, I used an old version of a light gate for my experiment, if it gave me a reading of 0.102s to travel 10cm, the accuracy would be 0.102+-0.0005 seconds, correct? Unfortunately we're on holiday, this is due in next tuesday and my teacher hasn't responded to my email asking if he knew the uncertainty/tolerance. Also, if a balance had a 'graduation' of 0.1g, this is the accuracy, correct?

Thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed