The Student Room Group

I want to contact an old ex

We broke up 2 years ago and I haven't spoken to him since. He broke up with me because of having to relocate abroad for his career. It wasn't a bad break up or anything but I couldn't deal with it at the time and opted for no contact to move on.

I don't want him back or anything, I'd just love to talk to him again. I'm very paranoid about getting ignored or something if I do though as I don't know what he thinks of me.

Is it a bad idea ?
If you want to talk to him, go for it. Just understand that you might develop feelings again and someone may end up getting hurt, but IMO it's better to go for something and risk getting hurt than it is to sit around and wonder 'what if...'
More than dealing with ignorance, I think it's harder to deal with the feelings you start developing for your ex all over again after moving on. From my own experience, I can tell you that it was really difficult for me to focus on my career when my ex got in touch with me two years ago. It brings back all the memories and makes you want to get back together and all that stuff. They're in your past for a reason and so, I guess, that's where they should always remain.
But then again, you can go ahead and speak to him if you think you can deal with all of this easily!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by shweta.bh
More than dealing with ignorance, I think it's harder to deal with the feelings you start developing for your ex all over again after moving on. From my own experience, I can tell you that it was really difficult for me to focus on my career when my ex got in touch with me two years ago. It brings back all the memories and makes you want to get back together and all that stuff. They're in your past for a reason and so, I guess, that's where they should always remain.
But then again, you can go ahead and speak to him if you think you can deal with all of this easily!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying. Was your ex the one who broke up with you or did you leave him ?
I broke up with him because our relationship wasn't working out towards the end. It was pretty difficult to deal with the breakup, so I chose not to contact him for a while until he texted me a year later. It wasn't easy for me to ignore him since I wasn't completely over him and I wanted him back. But trust me, it made it worse by me responding to his calls and texts.
I still think about him sometimes, but I don't think I want to get in touch with him ever again, no matter how much of a great guy he is/was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I broke up with him because our relationship wasn't working out towards the end. It was pretty difficult to deal with the breakup, so I chose not to contact him for a while until he texted me a year later. It wasn't easy for me to ignore him since I wasn't completely over him and I wanted him back. But trust me, it made it worse by me responding to his calls and texts.
I still think about him sometimes, but I don't think I want to get in touch with him ever again, no matter how much of a great guy he is/was.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity, I know it wasn't working out towards the end, but how come a year later you weren't interested in giving it another go even when you clearly missed him and still thought of him as a great guy ? Let alone never wanting to speak to him again ?

I've decided that I'm not going to reach out. I ended up looking him up on facebook for the first time last night and I see that he actually moved back closer to home months ago. That may sound like a good thing but given that I've always been under the impression that distance broke us up, it raises the question of why hasn't he contacted me ?

I guess he's just not interested any more.
Original post by Anonymous
Out of curiosity, I know it wasn't working out towards the end, but how come a year later you weren't interested in giving it another go even when you clearly missed him and still thought of him as a great guy ? Let alone never wanting to speak to him again ?

I've decided that I'm not going to reach out. I ended up looking him up on facebook for the first time last night and I see that he actually moved back closer to home months ago. That may sound like a good thing but given that I've always been under the impression that distance broke us up, it raises the question of why hasn't he contacted me ?

I guess he's just not interested any more.

The reason why I didn't want to give it another shot was because he was already in a relationship with this girl, and I think they're still together. I heard this from a mutual friend who even told me once that he was happy with her, which is what I wanted for him at that point of time. Seeing him happy made me feel good. So I didn't want to screw up with him or his relationship. But eventually that's what happened when he got in touch with me...sigh.

It's true that distance does tear you apart, but that doesn't mean it should stop you from contacting him. If you feel it's easier for you to move on with life along with being in touch with him as a friend, I'd say that's amazing! I personally wasn't able to do so, and it made me feel like sh*t when he ignored my calls or texts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
The reason why I didn't want to give it another shot was because he was already in a relationship with this girl, and I think they're still together. I heard this from a mutual friend who even told me once that he was happy with her, which is what I wanted for him at that point of time. Seeing him happy made me feel good. So I didn't want to screw up with him or his relationship. But eventually that's what happened when he got in touch with me...sigh.

It's true that distance does tear you apart, but that doesn't mean it should stop you from contacting him. If you feel it's easier for you to move on with life along with being in touch with him as a friend, I'd say that's amazing! I personally wasn't able to do so, and it made me feel like sh*t when he ignored my calls or texts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it's just the new girlfriend which stands in the way ? You still couldn't be friends with him now because you wouldn't be comfortable with him being with someone else at the same time ?

Say he turned up in the future and had been single for a year or so and reached out would you be interested in talking to him/ rekindling something then ? Do you regret breaking up with him overall ?

I'm still not sure whether to contact though. I don't want to be selfish. Your initial comment has shaped my decision because it may be that he's single and just wants to focus on his career and me contacting him may make things difficult for him (which I don't want to do). The other side is that if he's moved closer to home, but hasn't reached out, I he may have generally just forgotten about me.

The more I think about it, I think i'm kidding myself with wanting to be friends. Deep down if I'm honest, I probably want him back.
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
Ask yourself why do you really need to reach out to this guy, then ask yourself is this sensible?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm finding it really hard to work out. Initially I thought it was because I just wanted to be friends or at least on speaking terms. A part of me thinks contacting him may just be to see how he reacts to contact from me.

Everything points to him not being interested. But he was quite a stubborn person by nature so I can see him not reaching out even he if wanted to. My logic at the moment is that even if the likelihood of him ignoring me was 80%, we haven't spoken in years anyway so I wouldn't really be missing out.

What do you think ?
I don't see what you've got to lose. You broke up over the distance. You still have feelings, maybe he does too. Or maybe you could be great friends. I say go for it, you regret the risks you don't take way more than those you did.
Reply 10
Don't do it unless you want to get back with him
Original post by joker12345
I don't see what you've got to lose. You broke up over the distance. You still have feelings, maybe he does too. Or maybe you could be great friends. I say go for it, you regret the risks you don't take way more than those you did.

Thanks for the input.

The thing that's putting me off however is that if the distance isn't much of an issue anymore, I don't get why he hasn't contacted me ? He moved closer to home almost a year ago and has never reached out.

One part me has the same logic as you but the other part is saying that it's pretty clear he's not interested. If I reached out and he ignored me or it was clear he just wasn't interested it would overwrite the whole distance thing. Atleast if i don't get in contact it's never confirmed if you get me ?
Original post by Rimmiie
Don't do it unless you want to get back with him

Why do you say that ?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the input.

The thing that's putting me off however is that if the distance isn't much of an issue anymore, I don't get why he hasn't contacted me ? He moved closer to home almost a year ago and has never reached out.

One part me has the same logic as you but the other part is saying that it's pretty clear he's not interested. If I reached out and he ignored me or it was clear he just wasn't interested it would overwrite the whole distance thing. Atleast if i don't get in contact it's never confirmed if you get me ?

Yes, but perhaps he just thought you wouldn't be interested and had moved on. Maybe he was scared. Who knows?
Yes, it's possible he won't reply - but then what do you lose? Literally nothing. You didn't have him, you still wouldn't.
If he does however, you have a lot to gain.
Reply 14
He's your ex not your boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending