mpdtc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys! So, I'm having doubts about my chosen A levels at the moment. I kind of took the more artsy route and I feel like shouldn't have because almost all of my friends and the people in my class took subjects that lean towards the 'academic' side.

The A levels I chose are: Fine art, Textiles, English Literature and Films studies. My GCSE grades were all good (the only Bs I got were for English language and maths, the rest at As and A*s) so I could've chosen a non-art related subject but then I thought "hey, this is harder than GCSEs so I should do something that I'll most likely like till the end of the year". I chose film because I thought it will be fun and since I'll be dropping one next year, I figure I'd drop that.

At the moment I'm thinking of going for a fashion communication and promotion degree in Uni so I thought Textiles, Art and English will go really will with that. Now I just feel worried about what if I change my mind in the future? or how my a levels might limit me to what I want to study in Uni (if I ever change my mind). Should I have chosen media instead of film? Did I make the wrong decision by doing art and textiles at the same time? HELP! :confused:
suirrel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you enjoy what you're studying, you will be fine. If you decide in a couple of years time that you want to study a science, you can always do A levels at a 16+ college or do an Access course.

Look at uni requirements - for most communication/media/etc type courses, they don't require Media or Film Studies, so you won't be limited by that.

The only "bad" A level is the A level that you don't put effort into because you don't enjoy it.
paradoxicalme
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think your subjects are good, particularly for your choice of degree; lit and fine art are more respected than film, which will stand you in good stead. The only thing I would question would be, as you say, taking Textiles and Art together. You might have the problem of universities considering them as essentially indistinguishable from each other, and if you do want to do them both at AS you should probably drop one of them at A2.
mpdtc
Rep:
?
(Original post by suirrel)
If you enjoy what you're studying, you will be fine. If you decide in a couple of years time that you want to study a science, you can always do A levels at a 16+ college or do an Access course.

Look at uni requirements - for most communication/media/etc type courses, they don't require Media or Film Studies, so you won't be limited by that.

The only "bad" A level is the A level that you don't put effort into because you don't enjoy it.
Thanks, and you're right about the "bad a level" thing being the one where you don't put effort in it . And also, I think that I am enjoying the subjects I choose so that's a good sign .
mpdtc
Rep:
?
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
I think your subjects are good, particularly for your choice of degree; lit and fine art are more respected than film, which will stand you in good stead. The only thing I would question would be, as you say, taking Textiles and Art together. You might have the problem of universities considering them as essentially indistinguishable from each other, and if you do want to do them both at AS you should probably drop one of them at A2.
I was actually considering of dropping either one rather than film because of the workload as well. If I do choose to drop either one I think it'll be textiles...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads