The Student Room Group

How does a level chemistry progress?

I'm just wondering how chemistry is as you get further into the course, as I am thinking of dropping one of my subjects I don't want to drop one then find out later i can't drop chemistry if I find i am really struggeling by the end of AS
Reply 1
Which subjects are you doing and which subjects do you have the most amplitude for?
What exam board are you on?

I was on OCR and can't say I found it easy, but I didn't really struggle too much either. A lot of A Level Chemistry is your ability to memorise and to learn equations and how to solve calculations, so as long as you do a lot of work, you shouldn't have any trouble.

I found chemistry to be surprisingly simple at AS, although I did get a C in one of the exams because I underestimated it and didn't really work enough. This was unit 2, and this year I resat it and got an A, without really doing much more work because a lot of the content overlapped with unit 4 (this is for OCR though).

A2 is hard and you may find it stressful but there was never anything that I didn't master once I'd revised it and done past paper questions, apart from NMR Spectroscopy, I literally never understood a single bit of it and nobody at my college seemed to understand any of it either. But that didn't stop me getting an A overall. :smile:

If you're worried about being stuck in A2 Chemistry because you have no other choice, and hating it, I wouldn't worry too much. Chemistry isn't really a subject you need to love to succeed in, although it helps, but as long as you're willing to put the work in and you're pretty good at revising (or learn how to be), you'll be able to get through it fine.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest