The Student Room Group

I think the word "slut" should be removed from the English language.

I think this because:

1. Who are we to place judgement over someone sexual behaviour/desire;
After all we are sexual beings.

2. It's a derogatory word used to shame women, as if men are so innocent.

3. It's sexist and should be removed along with similarly offensive words.

Scroll to see replies

Why should offensive words be removed? Who gets to decide what's offensive?
My friend's mum calls her a slut all the time.

Because the words also means someone who is untidy (or something along those lines - don't know the exact definition).
Lol **** no way...

Its a valid word and it exist for a reason
(edited 9 years ago)
Whilst I agree it isn't a nice word, you can't just simply remove words from a language because you find them offensive. That's like censoring. And if we removed the word slut it'd only be fair that we removed any remotely offensive word, and that would just make life boring.
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
Why should offensive words be removed? Who gets to decide what's offensive?

It's more than just a word. there are negative feeling attached to words like this. Anything that makes a group of people feel that way, should be removed.
Reply 6
Original post by bittr n swt
Lol **** no way...

Its a valid word and it exist for a reason

:smile:

What reason is that exactly?
WHY DO GIRLS HATE BOYS USING THE WORD WHEN GIRLS CALL EACH OTHER THE SAME THING MORE THAN I BREATHE AIR.

HYPOCRITES.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by crozibear96
My friend's mum calls her a slut all the time.

Because the words also means someone who is untidy (or something along those lines - don't know the exact definition).

slut=untidy. ok?
Original post by NHM713
It's more than just a word. there are negative feeling attached to words like this. Anything that makes a group of people feel that way, should be removed.

Okay then. The word "Spider" should therefore also be banned because it makes arachnophobic people feel negative too. We should also remove the word "Murder" from the English language, along with "Rape", "Abuse", "Death", "Torture"...
Positively Orwellian.
I think we should take the dictionary and slap you across the face with it.

Who are you to start banning words just because you find them offensive?

Tell you what, why don't we ban the word 'offensive', that way all of you bleeding heart liberals will have nothing to cry about.
Reply 13
Original post by Carpe Vinum
Whilst I agree it isn't a nice word, you can't just simply remove words from a language because you find them offensive. That's like censoring. And if we removed the word slut it'd only be fair that we removed any remotely offensive word, and that would just make life boring.

So your telling me you get your kicks in life out of insulting people?
Original post by NHM713
I think this because:

1. Who are we to place judgement over someone sexual behaviour/desire;
After all we are sexual beings.

2. It's a derogatory word used to shame women, as if men are so innocent.

3. It's sexist and should be removed along with similarly offensive words.

It shouldn't be removed, it should just be seen as an equivalent of ****** or faggot. I certainly immediate think anyone who uses it is a worthless misogynistic piece of ****.
Reply 15
So basically there should be regulations on how sexually active a woman can be? what about men? what's the equivalent for a guy? If you want to keep the word in there should be.
Reply 16
Okay then. The word "Spider" should therefore also be banned because it makes arachnophobic people feel negative too. We should also remove the word "Murder" from the English language, along with "Rape", "Abuse", "Death", "Torture"...

Spot on :yes:
Reply 17
Original post by heavyhandscott
WHY DO GIRLS HATE BOYS USING THE WORD WHEN GIRLS CALL EACH OTHER THE SAME THING MORE THAN I BREATHE AIR.

HYPOCRITES.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sweeping statement of your is so not cool. I certainly don't.
Reply 18
this is just silly
Reply 19

calling someone a slut is derogatory and met to belittle someone. Saying there has been or using the word murder is a statement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending