The Student Room Group
My friend describes supervisions as intellectual rape.
Which sounds about right.

In general, that's about right, nyxx. In History, for example, the lecture series tend to be general background series to fill in the chronology and biography of the time period, plus any major historiographical trends. It's teh supervisions and supervision essays that are the most detailed.

I'd imagine the same thing is true for most other subjects too.
Reply 3
Notsomuch for the sciences, I'd venture -- you'll learn the details in the lectures and by doing the examples papers, and the supervisions are there to clarify the bits you can't understand on your own.
I think that's pretty much exactly right. Hence history lectures arent compulsory but science ones pretty much are. I must admit to being very lazy about going to lectures in my first term but it doesnt really matter. Probs not the advice i should be giving to freshers...
Think of it like this - lectures are like reading books without the effort, and supervisions are like mashing up loads of books and reconstructing arguments in realtime.

MB
Reply 6
...or, Supervisions are where you apply and practically consolidate the learning that you do partially in lectures, and mainly in private reading.

Also known as "intellectual rape", yes! :wink:
Depends on the subject.
I think it may be true for many Arts subjects, but lectures are absolutely essential in the Sciences.
You'll just look like an idiot in the supervisions if you haven't been attending the lectures, or at least following the notes. Not least because you won't be able to do the work you've been set and will be expected to discuss at the supervision.
Reply 8
For arts students lectures are what get you out of bed and warm up your mind in preperation for maybe doing some proper work later.
Not for this particular arts student... I have to sit in a very small space and scream my lungs out at eight recalcitrant people to make them give me their all before I'm even properly awake. And then the adrenaline rush keeps me awake for the morning.

Some people row to get fit, others for fun. I just do it because it gets me up int eh mornings...
Reply 10
Engineering is like sciences. Lectures are pretty important to be able to have a go at the example papers (although (depending on the lecturer) lecture notes pretty much tell you the essential- sometimes with blanks to fill in); supervisions are about going through questions or theory you don't understand.

Latest

Trending

Trending