The Student Room Group

Driving test today. Why am I so nervous?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BarBar-John
Google: Earlier Driving Test

Pay £20 for it to find you an earlier test fee and i GUARANTEE it will find you one within 10 working days of you failing your last test i.e. 2 weeks!!!

i used it to find a time for my 2nd test, and i got 2 weeks, otherwise i would have waited for 6 weeks, and i did it again and it worked again for just 2 weeks time

I don't really want to spend any more money on driving, all these tests are already draining me :frown: My next test is booked for December but I'm hoping I'll find cancellations but its hard to schedule it around my uni timetable :/
http://www.earlierdrivingtest.co.uk/

- paying an extra £20 to get your test weeks earlier is worth it if you can do it, maybe try this rescue remedy thing people mention for nerves?

i got my third attempt in 2 weeks :smile:, but i seem to do well when im nervous (just failed for really stupid things, 1 my fault - going 40 in a 30 even after i saw the sign, and 1 should of been a minor on my 2nd attempt but the examiner was harsh imo) but not everyone is the same

and its worth missing a couple of lectures for something that both your career (and to an extent, your social life) will depend on for the rest of your life
(edited 9 years ago)
For a graduate job, you will definitely need a driving license at some point. Even for attending conferences, which can be out of the way sometimes.

Keep checking the website every hour, cancellations pop up ALL the time, but you need to be quick. I had mine on a Saturday morning at 11.30 - so the traffic at some points was chaotic. Passed with 1 minor.

Make sure you go out with your instructor the hour before the test to get you into the zone. You're going to be nervous before the test. It wouldn't be right if you weren't. But as soon as the examiner sits in the car, you NEED to 100% focus on your driving. If you keep focusing on how nervous you are or what you've done wrong then you will fail. My minor was actually because I thought I had made a mistake and I was thinking about how bad it could be and whilst thinking about that, I actually got my only minor.

I could just sit and say the usual 'Oh relax, you'll be fine etc" but really, I promise you, you're going to be nervous no matter what. But as I said, once that clock starts on the driving test, FOCUS on the driving. Nothing else. You're obviously capable of passing otherwise your instructor wouldn't let you even book your test. So remember that.

Although you can get minors for speed, for say, doing 15 in a 30 - stay around 5mph below the speed limits. This will give you valuable seconds on the day to assess danger/junctions/roundabouts etc in more detail rather than getting to them and panicking. It doesn't sound like much time, but those extra 3 seconds can mean the difference between X amount of minors and Y amount of minors.

A lot of people also thinking "Oh I need to show this instructor that I can drive like somebody who's had a license for 25 years." No. The examiner wants to see that you can drive SAFELY. A junction that might take a seasoned driver 5 seconds to assess will not give you a mark for undue hesitation if you take 10 seconds. Undue hesitation would be if you sat there for 30 seconds when the roads were totally clear.

Take your time. Focus on the driving. Ignore the examiner. Just do what you've been doing in your lessons and you will pass.
Thanks guys, gonna give it one last shot, have a test booked for the end of November but will hopefully get a cancellation. If I fail that one I will consider either using a different test centre or learning in an automatic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending