Brighton College entrance exams

Watch
rubyrockcake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello!
So, I'm applying for sixth form at several schools, one of them being Brighton College, and the entrance exams are in a couple of weeks.
I know what the different papers will be on (a combined English and Maths paper, a General paper (looking at scientific reasoning, writing and logic), and a Verbal Reasoning paper), but other than that, the information I have is very vague.
I was wondering if anyone has done these entrance exams or anything similar in the past few years. Also, if anyone is doing the exams this year, I'd be curious as to what sort of/how much prep you're doing? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
domswaine
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Has anybody get received notification as to whether they have got through to the interview stage?
apple20822
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rubyrockcake)
Hello!
So, I'm applying for sixth form at several schools, one of them being Brighton College, and the entrance exams are in a couple of weeks.
I know what the different papers will be on (a combined English and Maths paper, a General paper (looking at scientific reasoning, writing and logic), and a Verbal Reasoning paper), but other than that, the information I have is very vague.
I was wondering if anyone has done these entrance exams or anything similar in the past few years. Also, if anyone is doing the exams this year, I'd be curious as to what sort of/how much prep you're doing? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Hi!! I'm taking the entrance exam for Brighton this year, was the exam hard??
rubyrockcake
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by apple20822)
Hi!! I'm taking the entrance exam for Brighton this year, was the exam hard??
I didn't find the exams too hard From memory, the science paper was the trickiest (at least for me). The interviews were fairly tough, though!
apple20822
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rubyrockcake)
I didn't find the exams too hard From memory, the science paper was the trickiest (at least for me). The interviews were fairly tough, though!
Are the questions asked within the IGCSE syllabus?
rubyrockcake
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by apple20822)
Are the questions asked within the IGCSE syllabus?
I'm not sure about that seeing as I haven't done IGCSEs (or GCSEs), but I think the exams are aimed more at trying to test your general abilities and problem solving skills, so you can't really study for them.
user123455
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What were the papers like?
mxxafe
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How were the interviews tough? What questions did they ask?
dorian81
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Brighton definitely prefers a well-rounded person, if you're only good at academics, and you aren't very good it will be harder to get in than someone who plays sport and music as well. This is because there is no limit of students who have high academic accolades applying, so there needs to be something else needed to differentiate. If I remember correctly, the interviews aren't exactly orthodox, with questions such as 'If you could travel anywhere in time, where would you and why?' asked, to explore how you think outside the box, and see if you have further interest in your subjects.
Ljy1224
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I will take the entrance exam for GCSE in 2 weeks, what should i revise???help
hjf,bj
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey so what type of exams were they and was it hard
hjf,bj
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hey how was the exams was it hard and what did you have to do
aw0403
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hjf,bj)
hey how was the exams was it hard and what did you have to do
Hiiii, I’m applying for Brighton this year, are you as well?
unknown1118
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
where the exams hard? what topics did the contain??
anjaninanda
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
i am
S_Mo3470
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I just did the test for scientific reasoning, I am not sure if it is because I do double science and it is a triple science thing or if my school just doesn't teach me stuff but half the stuff on it was not anything like I have ever studied. I think the whole point of the test was to see if you are good at using your current knowledge to try and work out questions you shouldn't know yet. I would appreciate if someone could assure me that they felt the same and that I am definitely not an idiot lol.
anjaninanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by S_Mo3470)
I just did the test for scientific reasoning, I am not sure if it is because I do double science and it is a triple science thing or if my school just doesn't teach me stuff but half the stuff on it was not anything like I have ever studied. I think the whole point of the test was to see if you are good at using your current knowledge to try and work out questions you shouldn't know yet. I would appreciate if someone could assure me that they felt the same and that I am definitely not an idiot lol.
sameeee omg and i legit couldnt choose which sciences to do because I doedexcel igcse and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!!
anjaninanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
same omg and I legit couldn't choose which sciences to do because I do Edexcel IGCSE and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!!
anjaninanda
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
same omg and I legit couldn't choose which sciences to do because I do Edexcel IGCSE and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!

S_Mo3470
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by anjaninanda)
sameeee omg and i legit couldnt choose which sciences to do because I doedexcel igcse and we haven't done half of those things, so don't worry!!
Phewwww, well I mean I passed and got to the interview stage so maybe it was this hard for everyone lol.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (578)
34.45%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (690)
41.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (334)
19.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (76)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise