The Student Room Group

Liberals against Islam, UNITE!

Scroll to see replies

:rofl2:

/thread.
Original post by KingBradly
You mean the freedom of speech that includes the freedom to criticize?

Of course.
It's clear that Islam is not wanted in the UK. It's time for Britain to admit it's become a largely atheist society and enshrine it into national law.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
I am not bothered if someone disagrees with me that Islam is worse than Christianity. Undoubtedly, the gospels do not excuse the homophobic content. I dislike both religions very much, so I certainly don't want to expend energy arguing about one being perhaps slightly less abhorrent than the other.

The numbers killed in the name of Islam and Christianity is probably fairly equal. Maybe more have been killed in the name of Christianity.

But I am not concerned with this. Currently, there aren't a huge amount of people being killed in the name of Christianity. I mean, there certainly are people being killed, but the crimes committed in the name of Christianity are of the same level as the ones committed in the name of Islam which are often not great enough to make the news (although still appalling).

However, there are massive atrocities being committed by Muslims at the moment. More atrocities than by any other religious group currently. And yet I feel there is a disdain among the right-on media towards anyone who criticizes the religion. This is what I think should change.

The issue now, becomes one of distinction. I do not think there is a disdain for those who criticise the religion, but a disdain resulting from the failure to distinguish between Muslim communities. You cannot say 'there are massive atrocities being committed by Muslims' This is not the case for Muslims residing in countries in which they are a majority, for example: Indonesia. Of course, there are atrocities being committed by ISIS in Syria, but how can you argue that this is representative of the belief's of an entire religion? here: https://www.facebook.com/666jw/posts/10152449829516009
This perfectly portrays what I am trying to say.
Reply 24
Original post by Bissy
The issue now, becomes one of distinction. I do not think there is a disdain for those who criticise the religion, but a disdain resulting from the failure to distinguish between Muslim communities. You cannot say 'there are massive atrocities being committed by Muslims' This is not the case for Muslims residing in countries in which they are a majority, for example: Indonesia. Of course, there are atrocities being committed by ISIS in Syria, but how can you argue that this is representative of the belief's of an entire religion? here: https://www.facebook.com/666jw/posts/10152449829516009
This perfectly portrays what I am trying to say.

While I agree with many of the sentiments of the man in the video, it isn't without criticism. The crimes committed by Buddhists in Sri Lanka are more of a political thing, and Muslims are doing stuff like that all the time. There still isn't Buddhists flying planes into skyscrapers.

The fact is that I can say 'there are massive atrocities being committed by Muslims', because there are. Of course, this does not include all Muslims. Adherents in the likes of Kyrgyzstan and Indonesia are pretty peaceful. But then again, most of the Muslims in Kyrgyzstan are non-denominational, and Muslims in Indonesia are generally more relaxed in their beliefs than others, with the population rejecting the idea that the country should be an Islamic state. There is no doubt that the more fundamentalist the general belief in Islam of the populace is, the more abrasive, conservative, and violent the society. And this really is the proof of the pudding that Islam is problematic, in that the more closely you follow it, the more conservative and intolerant you become.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 25
While I agree with many of the sentiments of the man in the video, it isn't without criticism. The crimes committed by Buddhists in Sri Lanka are more of a political thing, and Muslims are doing stuff like that all the time. There still isn't Buddhists flying planes into skyscrapers.

The fact is that I can say 'there are massive atrocities being committed by Muslims', because there are. Of course, this does not include all Muslims. Adherents in the likes of Kyrgyzstan and Indonesia are pretty peaceful. But then again, most of the Muslims in Kyrgyzstan are non-denominational, and Muslims in Indonesia are generally more relaxed in their beliefs than others, with the population rejecting the idea that the country should be an Islamic state. There is no doubt that the more fundamentalist the general belief in Islam of the populace is, the more abrasive, conservative, and violent the society. And this really is the proof of the pudding that Islam is problematic, in that the more closely you follow it, the more conservative and intolerant you become.

Would this not be the case for someone who had decided to follow the Cristian faith? I do not understand your argument at all. You are clearly trying to portray the Islamic faith as violent and repressive but the points you are making easily apply to the Christian faith or anything similar. I am not even trying to defend Islam, but the way you are constructing and presenting your arguments to support your point of view is just poor. Your whole reason for disliking Islam does not hold, IMO.

'the more closely you follow it, the more conservative and intolerant you become.' - This is just incorrect, the conservatism and intolerance stems from how one chooses to interpret the beliefs of the Islamic faith. Some choose to interpret it in such a manner that encourages them to be conservative and intolerant. However, some also choose to interpret the beliefs differently, thus, causing them to BE tolerant and liberal. That generic closing statement you made demonstrates to me why debates such as these never move forward. You cannot generalise a whole religion like that.
Reply 26
Original post by Bissy
Would this not be the case for someone who had decided to follow the Cristian faith? I do not understand your argument at all. You are clearly trying to portray the Islamic faith as violent and repressive but the points you are making easily apply to the Christian faith or anything similar. I am not even trying to defend Islam, but the way you are constructing and presenting your arguments to support your point of view is just poor. Your whole reason for disliking Islam does not hold, IMO.

Of course the same points could be made about Christian faith, no doubt about that. But currently, fundamental Christianity is very much going out of fashion, and most Christians follow the Bible much more loosely. Also, liberal media is perfectly comfortable with criticizing Christianity already, so I need not speak up to defend those who do.

Additionally, I'm quite confused as to why you think that because the same points that I have made about Islam can also be said about Christianity, that warrants them untrue. Could you perhaps explain the logic behind this?

Original post by Bissy

'the more closely you follow it, the more conservative and intolerant you become.' - This is just incorrect, the conservatism and intolerance stems from how one chooses to interpret the beliefs of the Islamic faith. Some choose to interpret it in such a manner that encourages them to be conservative and intolerant. However, some also choose to interpret the beliefs differently, thus, causing them to BE tolerant and liberal. That generic closing statement you made demonstrates to me why debates such as these never move forward. You cannot generalise a whole religion like that.

If you have read the Qu'ran and a few of the Hadiths in the Bukhari collection, you will know that if one follows the verses of them literally then you will be conservative and intolerant. Sharia Law is a literal interpretation of verses from the Bukhari and the Qu'ran, for instance. If someone interprets the Qu'ran to be tolerant and liberal, then they must be turning a blind eye to the verses in the text, which number over a hundred, that call Muslims to commit violence in the name of the religion. Thus, someone interpreting the beliefs differently is not following the religion fundamentally. I hope I have explained my point to you now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 27
Lol unite and do what exactly?

The whole world can unite against Islam and Islam will still continue to prosper.

:wink:
Reply 28
Of course the same points could be made about Christian faith, no doubt about that. But currently, fundamental Christianity is very much going out of fashion, and most Christians follow the Bible much more loosely. Also, liberal media is perfectly comfortable with criticizing Christianity already, so I need not speak up to defend those who do.

If you have read the Qu'ran and a few of the Hadiths in the Bukhari collection, you will know that if one follows the verses of them literally then you will be conservative and intolerant. Sharia Law is a literal interpretation of verses from the Bukhari and the Qu'ran, for instance. If someone interprets the Qu'ran to be tolerant and liberal, then they must be turning a blind eye to the verses in the text, which number over a hundred, that call Muslims to commit violence in the name of the religion. Thus, someone interpreting the beliefs differently is not following the religion fundamentally. I hope I have explained my point to you now.

You're saying that to be a Muslim, you must be intolerant and conservative and if you aren't these things, then you are not a true Muslim. A verse from the Qu'ran : 17:53, 54 And tell my servants that they should speak in a most kindly manner (unto those who do not share their beliefs). Verily, Satan is always ready to stir up discord between men; for verily; Satan is mans foe .... Hence, We have not sent you (Unto men O Prophet) with power to determine their Faith.

In this instance a believer in the Islamic face has two options, they can interpret the other verses concerning lack of tolerance for other faiths, or they can be tolerant towards them, as the aforementioned verse advocates. To me, this person is still a Muslim and it would be very hard for you to argue against this. Even if a person chooses to interpret the Qu'ran in an extreme or less extreme way, they are still Muslim. the separation merely comes from interpretation.
Reply 29
Original post by Bissy
You're saying that to be a Muslim, you must be intolerant and conservative and if you aren't these things, then you are not a true Muslim. A verse from the Qu'ran : 17:53, 54 And tell my servants that they should speak in a most kindly manner (unto those who do not share their beliefs). Verily, Satan is always ready to stir up discord between men; for verily; Satan is mans foe .... Hence, We have not sent you (Unto men O Prophet) with power to determine their Faith.

In this instance a believer in the Islamic face has two options, they can interpret the other verses concerning lack of tolerance for other faiths, or they can be tolerant towards them, as the aforementioned verse advocates. To me, this person is still a Muslim and it would be very hard for you to argue against this. Even if a person chooses to interpret the Qu'ran in an extreme or less extreme way, they are still Muslim. the separation merely comes from interpretation.

You seem to have invented this idea that I said that people who don't follow the Qu'ran aren't Muslims. This is not something I believe.

The quote you provide is certainly quite a nice one, I suppose, although I dislike the idea that people should do things out of fear (of satan), rather than out of their own will and compassion. This a problem that plagues even the nicest asks of the Qu'ran and the Bible. Every good deed is either asked to be done out of fear, or in the name of God, rather than out of pure compassion. A reason why I dislike the faiths so much, and why those who speak against Islam do not deserve to be so heavily chastised. Surely you don't disagree with that?

Additionally, this quote does not excuse the truly abhorrent quotes in the Qu'ran which are very rarely ambiguous enough to have any room for interpretation, just in the same way as the Gospels don't excuse the hateful verses of the Old Testament. They still very much exist, and in great enough numbers for this quote to be forgotten among them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Reform

The whole world can unite against Islam and Islam will still continue to prosper.

Where, on Mars?
Reply 31
You seem to have invented this idea that I said that people who don't follow the Qu'ran aren't Muslims. This is not something I believe.

The quote you provide is certainly quite a nice one, I suppose, although I dislike the idea that people should do things out of fear (of satan), rather than out of their own will and compassion. This a problem that plagues even the nicest asks of the Qu'ran and the Bible. Everything good is always asked to be done out of fear, or in the name of God, rather than out of pure compassion. A reason why I dislike the faiths so much, and why those who speak against Islam do not deserve to be so heavily chastised. Surely you don't disagree with that?

Additionally, this quote does not excuse the truly abhorrent quotes in the Qu'ran which are very rarely ambiguous enough to have any room for interpretation, just in the same way as the Gospels don't excuse the hateful verses of the Old Testament. They still very much exist, and in great enough numbers for this quote to be forgotten among them.

I never invented the supposed idea you have stated. You misunderstood what I wrote.

You stated: 'someone interpreting the beliefs differently is not following the religion fundamentally' - you're implying that to interpret the Qu'ran in any way but a conservative and intolerant one is not a way that a true follower of the Islamic faith would is incorrect.(IMO) (I explained why in my previous post)

Those voicing their opinion must be prepared to face those who might be opposed to it. Also, the chastising is beneficial to an extent, it provokes debate which encourages discussion about controversial issues.

You are correct, that particular quote does not excuse the other abhorrent ones. But along side abhorrent quotes such as these, are quotes advocating for peace and and love. Some Muslims choose to go down the peace and love route whilst some choose the more hard-line approach.
Reply 32
Original post by donteven
So you basically want Muslims to either leave their religion or leave this country. You really are lost, don't you know its a basic human right for people to be able to practice their religion without fear of govt oppressing them. If you remove that basic human right then Britain really isn't about freedom. And for your information Liberalism is primarily about tolerance, i.e: people of different race religion sex etc tolerating each other and living together peacefully. What your saying isn't liberalism but rather a far right ideology similar to Nazism and the Jewish people. Except now your looking to the Muslims
BTW really hope this page doesnt make it to popular because its really stupid

Liberalism isn't about tolerating people lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mate,I'm not being a conspiracy theorist here but I just wanna share my observations.I live in Turkey which is a pretty Islamic place with an anti-secularist goverment and I see major differences between the Muslim population in Europe and in Turkey.Yes,there are strict Muslims and extremists but generally speaking you can see Muslim women wearing jeans and heavy makeup pretty much everywhere,nobody's praying 5 times a day,nobody's chanting like"Sharia4Turkey" on the streets.The percentage of Muslims support sharia is about 20-30% in Turkey while this percentage is 40% in the UK as far as i know(I'm not sure it might be another European country)I feel like the Islamization of Europe is far beyond political parties.
Reply 34
Original post by geneticist
Mate,I'm not being a conspiracy theorist here but I just wanna share my observations.I live in Turkey which is a pretty Islamic place with an anti-secularist goverment and I see major differences between the Muslim population in Europe and in Turkey.Yes,there are strict Muslims and extremists but generally speaking you can see Muslim women wearing jeans and heavy makeup pretty much everywhere,nobody's praying 5 times a day,nobody's chanting like"Sharia4Turkey" on the streets.The percentage of Muslims support sharia is about 20-30% in Turkey while this percentage is 40% in the UK as far as i know(I'm not sure it might be another European country)I feel like the Islamization of Europe is far beyond political parties.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. I think it has more to do with the fact that no Muslims are moving from Turkey because it's already got a fairly decent living standard. They tend to come from countries with worse living standards such as Pakistan, where Muslims are far more conservative.
Original post by Reform
Lol unite and do what exactly?

Would you like to expand upon the word 'proper' and what you mean by it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending