The Student Room Group

New AS System

Hi everyone,

I have been wondering recently about how the new A-Level system is going to play out with the AS being 'phased out' as I was told by my school. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what is happening: will I still take AS but it won't be part of my final grade, what subjects are making the changes first etc. I am starting 6th Form September 2015 if this is of any help.

Any help is much appreciated.

:smile:
Original post by AOT
Hi everyone,

I have been wondering recently about how the new A-Level system is going to play out with the AS being 'phased out' as I was told by my school. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about what is happening: will I still take AS but it won't be part of my final grade, what subjects are making the changes first etc. I am starting 6th Form September 2015 if this is of any help.

Removal of January assessment

From September 2013 students in England will no longer be able to sit A-level exams in January. Students who start their courses from September 2013 will only be able to sit AS and A-level exams in the summer.
What this means for you and your students

For students who started a two year A-level course in September 2011, AS and A2 examinations will be available in January 2013 and June 2013. There will be no AS or A2 examinations in January 2014 so any students who wish to resit will need to do so in June 2014 instead.
Reply 2
Original post by Mathemagical

From September 2013 students in England will no longer be able to sit A-level exams in January. Students who start their courses from September 2013 will only be able to sit AS and A-level exams in the summer.

For students who started a two year A-level course in September 2011, AS and A2 examinations will be available in January 2013 and June 2013. There will be no AS or A2 examinations in January 2014 so any students who wish to resit will need to do so in June 2014 instead.

But my school said I won't have to do AS when I start 6th form. Is this true and how will the new system work? Thanks for your time.

You're talking about something completely different to what OP is talking about...
Original post by anonwinner
You're talking about something completely different to what OP is talking about...

So what is he talking about because I haven't heard of AS being wiped out at all?
Original post by AOT
But my school said I won't have to do AS when I start 6th form. Is this true and how will the new system work? Thanks for your time.

Sorry buddy I'll keep looking. I posted those because that's what is affecting me this year. :smile:

Haven't heard about AS being wiped out at all.
So what is he talking about because I haven't heard of AS being wiped out at all?

I don't know the exact details but I think they're planning to get rid of AS levels and just have A levels that will be based on exams at the end of year 13. Students will still do exams at the end of year 12 but they won't be official and will be used for teachers to decide on their predicted grades.
Original post by anonwinner
I don't know the exact details but I think they're planning to get rid of AS levels and just have A levels that will be based on exams at the end of year 13. Students will still do exams at the end of year 12 but they won't be official and will be used for teachers to decide on their predicted grades.

That won't be affecting me this year/summer 2015 though right?
Original post by AOT
Hi everyone,

AS and A2 are being decoupled. What this means is, is that from September 2015 onwards, they will be separate exams. This means that you will sit your A level exams at the end of Year 13, and any AS exams you do will not count towards your A Level grade; they will be a different qualification in their own right. If you do a few Google searches you will find subject-specific information.

I don't know what your schools policy will be, but I imagine that they'd get you to sit an AS exam in the subject that you wish to drop, so you'd still have a qualification in it, although this is complete speculation; only your school can tell you their policy.
That won't be affecting me this year/summer 2015 though right?

No, they won't.
Reply 10
Original post by ThatPerson
AS and A2 are being decoupled. What this means is, is that from September 2015 onwards, they will be separate exams. This means that you will sit your A level exams at the end of Year 13, and any AS exams you do will not count towards your A Level grade; they will be a different qualification in their own right. If you do a few Google searches you will find subject-specific information.

I don't know what your schools policy will be, but I imagine that they'd get you to sit an AS exam in the subject that you wish to drop, so you'd still have a qualification in it, although this is complete speculation; only your school can tell you their policy.

Thank you this makes a lot of sense. Will ask my school.
Essentially anyone who starts A Levels in Sep 2015 won't sit AS exams, apart from Maths
Anyone who starts in SEp 2016 onwards won't sit any at all

All exams, both AS & A2 will be sat at the end of Year 13
Original post by AOT
Hi everyone,

For new Year 12s next year, the system is changing and it's still a little uncertain. If you take a full A level then you will have to take all the exams in the same exam season - if you took the subject at AS the previous year then those marks won't contribute to it at all. It seems likely that most schools will still make everyone take AS levels and then proceed to A levels but the AS grades for subjects you carry on will be worthless.

Which subjects is this affecting? Everything, but only Sciences, History, types of English, Economics, Business Studies, Psychology, Sociology, Art and Computer Science in September 2015. The rest will follow a year later.

OCR's note about it here, but it applies to all domestic exam boards.http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/gcse-and-a-level-reform/
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest