Should I quit my Engineering Apprenticeship to join the Army to do engineering?

Watch
nSkittles
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Basically I have wanted to join the Army and do engineering for a while, I want be something like an Armoured Engineer of a Comms System Engineer. However I am currently doing an apprenticeship which is 4 years long and I wont finish it until JULY 2017! I really don't think I can wait it out that long, I don't hate my apprenticeship but I am not really enjoying it, the pay is quite good (£200 a week at 17) but I can't see myself waiting another 2 and a half years for it to be over. I will have done my BTEC Level 3 in engineering by June 2015 and then it is a HNC which will take up until the end of the apprenticeship. Another factor to consider is the HNC, the HNC will not affect any of the roles I want to go for in the Army because most of them roles have a qualification requirement of GCSE Maths, English and Science at grade C which I already have. Also if I do wait out my apprenticeship I will have to pay off the HNC unless I stay at the company for another 5 YEARS!

What should I do?!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nSkittles)
Have you spoken to the AFCO and found out if the trade is recruiting, looked at the medical and PT requirements to see if you fit etc?

You need to be sure that the Army is a valid alternative, which will probably mean making an application and pursuing it until you have a start date. Only at that point do you really have a decision to make.
Clip
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It depends if you are serious about a long term Army career.

An armoured engineer is essentially someone who drives a cross between a tank and a snowplough.

Some army trades are much less sophisticated than others, and some don't have great prospects after the Army outside of the defence industry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (65)
21.96%
Excited but a bit nervous (134)
45.27%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.16%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.61%

Watched Threads