Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am 19 years old and working full time in marketing, before this I did a year at Cardiff uni but absolutely hated it hence why I left. I didn't like the course or the uni life OR being poor. It just wasn't for me. However, I would really like to get a degree and am quite academic. I like the idea of working/earning money and studying part time. Recently I've looked into part time or distance learning, namely from the OU, but it seems it has a reputation for mainly older people.

Does anyone similar to my age have any experience of the OU? I would probably be doing a course based in marketing/design or something creative.
Will the OU fund the course for me if I am on a low income? I read somewhere that they did this for someone, however can't find any evidence on their website.
Davalla
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by natalieoneill)
I am 19 years old and working full time in marketing, before this I did a year at Cardiff uni but absolutely hated it hence why I left. I didn't like the course or the uni life OR being poor. It just wasn't for me. However, I would really like to get a degree and am quite academic. I like the idea of working/earning money and studying part time. Recently I've looked into part time or distance learning, namely from the OU, but it seems it has a reputation for mainly older people.

Does anyone similar to my age have any experience of the OU? I would probably be doing a course based in marketing/design or something creative.
Will the OU fund the course for me if I am on a low income? I read somewhere that they did this for someone, however can't find any evidence on their website.
The OU may feature "older" people more because they are much more likely to be wanting to study part time, but they do have statistics to show age groups somewhere.

As for funding:
Student Loans/tuition fee loans/grants can be used in a similar way as other universities, while you can study Access modules for free if you AHI is less than £25,000.

I recommend downloading or ordering their free undergraduate prospectus from the website.
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by natalieoneill)
You can get a student loan to cover your fees like any other university. You won’t be entitled to any maintenance loans however.

There are a lot of young people studying with OU. It is a respectable university and a good alternative if you want to work whilst you study. You do need to be motivated, studying at home on your own is hard work. I wouldn't bother with the Access modules, they are designed for people who have been out of education for decades. There isn't much information about degrees/modules on the website - download the various subject prospectuses to get a better idea of what the OU offers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (645)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (817)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.62%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.51%

Watched Threads