The Student Room Group

not enjoying uni, i want to change to another next year

Im currently unhappy at my university, i decided to stay in my home town but im hating it, i don't like my course and don't want to continue it for the next 3 years (games design) the course wasn't what i expected, its more programming based whereas i wanted to do more 3d modelling and animation and working with game engines.

I found a university that does the course i want and was thinking of changing to go to that one next year if i can get a place, they were my insurance when i applied for this year so would they give me another chance do you think? also when do i apply for this new course and would student finance, finance me for an extra year? or is that only special circumstances. thank you for any reply's. :smile:
Original post by heyoka
Im currently unhappy at my university, i decided to stay in my home town but im hating it, i don't like my course and don't want to continue it for the next 3 years (games design) the course wasn't what i expected, its more programming based whereas i wanted to do more 3d modelling and animation and working with game engines.

I found a university that does the course i want and was thinking of changing to go to that one next year if i can get a place, they were my insurance when i applied for this year so would they give me another chance do you think? also when do i apply for this new course and would student finance, finance me for an extra year? or is that only special circumstances. thank you for any reply's. :smile:

bump :hat2:
Reply 2
Original post by heyoka

Hey if you aren't happy then it is a god idea to change courses, I did and I have never looked back since. It was the best decision I ever made!

You need to apply the same as everyone else through UCAS, you shouldn't have a problem changing but I would speak to your current university as you will probably need a reference from them and they may also be able to give you advice on changing etc. I would also recommend speaking to the university you want to apply to and see if it would be okay, it will probably be fine but best to be certain.

In terms of student finance they will still finance you so you don't need to worry about that (I would maybe call them up to double check though). They are financing me and I left in between my course but it may vary depending on circumstances so I would check before deciding.
Reply 3
Original post by krazy11
Hey if you aren't happy then it is a god idea to change courses, I did and I have never looked back since. It was the best decision I ever made!

You need to apply the same as everyone else through UCAS, you shouldn't have a problem changing but I would speak to your current university as you will probably need a reference from them and they may also be able to give you advice on changing etc. I would also recommend speaking to the university you want to apply to and see if it would be okay, it will probably be fine but best to be certain.

In terms of student finance they will still finance you so you don't need to worry about that (I would maybe call them up to double check though). They are financing me and I left in between my course but it may vary depending on circumstances so I would check before deciding.

Thankyou so much for the reply :smile: i didnt know weather i needed to apply through UCAS again or not, ill start on that right away, i got in touch with the university i want to change to and im just waiting on a reply to see if they will go off my Alevel grades or my grades for this year. i will also talk to my university about it. You've really helped me out thank you. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by heyoka
Thankyou so much for the reply :smile: i didnt know weather i needed to apply through UCAS again or not, ill start on that right away, i got in touch with the university i want to change to and im just waiting on a reply to see if they will go off my Alevel grades or my grades for this year. i will also talk to my university about it. You've really helped me out thank you. :biggrin:

If you are trying to transfer into 1st year now then you may have to apply directly to the university now but it you are applying for entry in September 2015 then you need to apply through UCAS just like all applicants. Glad I could help :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by krazy11
If you are trying to transfer into 1st year now then you may have to apply directly to the university now but it you are applying for entry in September 2015 then you need to apply through UCAS just like all applicants. Glad I could help :smile:

yeah they said if i want to go into first year then i should consider dropping out of my current university and reapplying off my Alevel results, but if i want to continue the year at my current university then i have to send them my grades and units for this year to see if they can consider me for going straight into a second year but even then do i still apply through ucas and just let them know that ive done a year in uni? i dont know im pretty confused and dont know if ill even pass this year :frown: you really were a big help thank you again! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by heyoka
yeah they said if i want to go into first year then i should consider dropping out of my current university and reapplying off my Alevel results, but if i want to continue the year at my current university then i have to send them my grades and units for this year to see if they can consider me for going straight into a second year but even then do i still apply through ucas and just let them know that ive done a year in uni? i dont know im pretty confused and dont know if ill even pass this year :frown: you really were a big help thank you again! :smile:

I think you still apply through UCAS for entry in September 2015 but also contact the university you want to go to and let them know that you want to go into second year. If you remember when you filled out your UCAS form and put in your university option, it asked you for point of entry where you would put 2 if you want to join to the second year of the course.

I don't know if all universities allow you to do this though because the courses can vary quite a bit, you really should contact the university you want to go to and ask them if they would consider it. They may say that you have to start from year one in which case you could possibly think of dropping out and taking a gap year (just one option).
Reply 7
Original post by krazy11
I think you still apply through UCAS for entry in September 2015 but also contact the university you want to go to and let them know that you want to go into second year. If you remember when you filled out your UCAS form and put in your university option, it asked you for point of entry where you would put 2 if you want to join to the second year of the course.

I don't know if all universities allow you to do this though because the courses can vary quite a bit, you really should contact the university you want to go to and ask them if they would consider it. They may say that you have to start from year one in which case you could possibly think of dropping out and taking a gap year (just one option).

yup i remember the point of entry thing, the university said once they see my results that they would tell me weather i could go into 2nd year or not, ill think about my options and make my mind up, then have a chat with my personal tutor. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending