Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sefkhet)
    Yeah, and I've got issues with Republicans coming out of my ears, too. I'll hang out with the other 48%.
    So you admit to hating 52% of the American people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Well, roughly 1% voted for other candidates, so probably only 51%...

ReputationRep:
    Well 51% of the US didnt vote for the republicans... 51% of those who VOTED, did ... which leaves a huge number who didnt ...

Not to mention the fact that of those who dont vote - the majority are likely to prefer a democratic president

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Well 51% of the US didnt vote for the republicans... 51% of those who VOTED, did ... which leaves a huge number who didnt ...

Not to mention the fact that of those who dont vote - the majority are likely to prefer a democratic president
    True - 51% of the electorate would be more appropriate. Also, it's important to recall that in the US, votes are for individual candidate, not the party. So, it's not necessarily fair to pin republicans with a blanket opinion.

[nice signature - The Big Lebowski ]

Yeah, and I've got issues with Republicans coming out of my ears, too. I'll hang out with the other 48%.
    I too, have issues with the current administration, like the porous mexican border problem. The "wetbacks" are costing California 10 billion per year, but now that the "terminator" has swung into action, perhaps it'll wake up Georgie.

ReputationRep:
    No. I disagree with their politics, hence the having issues with them, and I disagree with many of the policies instituted by the government they elected, hence having issues with that. Never said I hated them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    True - 51% of the electorate would be more appropriate. Also, it's important to recall that in the US, votes are for individual candidate, not the party. So, it's not necessarily fair to pin republicans with a blanket opinion.

[nice signature - The Big Lebowski ]
    Ahhhh satori - you have such an eye on you ... Lebowski is perhaps the finest cinematic experience ever... that and some of the Wes Anderson movies.

Good point on the republican thing ... I think if you polled the country and asked those who voted - are you a republican - youd probably find that about 35% or so said yes, about 20-35 democrat and the rest independent.

So really you are looking at about 35% of 50% of those eligible to vote ... so about 10% of the country... at a wild guess.

ReputationRep:
    No. I disagree with their politics, hence the having issues with them, and I disagree with many of the policies instituted by the government they elected, hence having issues with that. Never said I hated them.
    You don't know the politics of all republicans, though. You're making an assumption that all republicans operate on a party-line mentality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    I too, have issues with the current administration, like the porous mexican border problem. The "wetbacks" are costing California 10 billion per year, but now that the "terminator" has swung into action, perhaps it'll wake up Georgie.
    You plan on relying on HIM to solve the situation? LOL ... Dont get your hopes up too much! Plus - hell be VERY wary of the hispanic vote.

(Original post by Lawz-)
    You plan on relying on HIM to solve the situation? LOL ... Dont get your hopes up too much! Plus - hell be VERY wary of the hispanic vote.
    Schwarzenegger has got the roller coaster moving. I expect (hope) that all the border states will climb on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)

You can't say "if people had voted so and so would've won." That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard! If the other 49% of americans HAD voted.. MAYBE we would've had a different president, but you can't guess.. not to mention.. of that 49% who didn't vote were to complain about our current president.. then maybe they should've thought about that BEFORE they chose not to vote.

I'm glad our presidential elections are determined by house votes, not popular votes.. because if we left the choosing of our leader up to todays american citizen.. then we would be leaving our very lives in the hands of mostly uneducated hick-ish americans who don't know who or what would be better for their country and their families. At least with house votes we have a somewhat educated majority voting on the right candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    You can't say "if people had voted so and so would've won." That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard! If the other 49% of americans HAD voted.. MAYBE we would've had a different president, but you can't guess.. not to mention.. of that 49% who didn't vote were to complain about our current president.. then maybe they should've thought about that BEFORE they chose not to vote.
    Only problem is that I didnt say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Schwarzenegger has got the roller coaster moving. I expect (hope) that all the border states will climb on.
    Schwarzenegger has what is called the "immigrants zeal"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Schwarzenegger has what is called the "immigrants zeal"
    I thought it was just the boundless enthusiasm of the slow-witted...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    I thought it was just the boundless enthusiasm of the slow-witted...
    Like a ret4rd in a room full of bouncy balls.

ReputationRep:
    Read something in the paper today - dunno whether to be scared or lmao:

J'lo admitted to the German magazine bravo that she would like to become the first US femal president. The first thing she would do in power?? Redecorate the white house...

Still, I'm sure she would be better than Bush lol. Blair would probs be over there a lot more too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geordie_in_HK)
    Read something in the paper today - dunno whether to be scared or lmao:

J'lo admitted to the German magazine bravo that she would like to become the first US femal president. The first thing she would do in power?? Redecorate the white house...

Still, I'm sure she would be better than Bush lol. Blair would probs be over there a lot more too.
    if it could get her to stop releasing new music, we may be on to something...

ReputationRep:
    I can't help but wonder how many of you folks really understand the republican party and what it stands for. The party does not have any European counterpart that I know of. The modern republican party stands for the following:

- Lowest possible taxes while still financing the necessary functions of government.

- A belief that individual liberty can be limited only if it jeopardizes public safety.

- A free market healthcare system and the acceptance that some people with more money can sometimes get better quality healthcare than others. There are free market options and government options available.

- The belief that America has the right to, when necessary, take any action to preserve our own interests. That means none of that "global test" nonsense Hanoi John Kerry spoke of in the debates.

- A strict interpretation of the constitution

- Fiscal responsibility and strict enforcement of immigration laws (This is one area where they have REALLY blown it, but democrats are even worse on immigration and generally want to spend even more)

- A strong defense

- Electing & appointing judges at all levels that respect traditional family values.

- Limiting the number of assisted suicides, euthanasia, and abortions.

- Preserving the right to keep and bear arms.

There are many other policies, but, of what I've listed, I'm sure there are at least a few policies that many people on this forum would agree with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    - A strict interpretation of the constitution
    I do not agree that this is foremost in the minds of the Republican party. Isn't the Arny Bill a Republican campaign? Isn't the campaign to make it illegal to burn the US flag a Republican campaign? Isn't the plan to ammend the constitution to ban gay marriage a Republican plan?

ReputationRep:
    I do not agree that this is foremost in the minds of the Republican party. Isn't the Arny Bill a Republican campaign?
    You mean the movement to allow him to run for president? I don't think this has widespread support in the party. Most republicans I know are very uncomfortable with the idea of him becoming president because he is so liberal on social issues.

Isn't the campaign to make it illegal to burn the US flag a Republican campaign?
    What campaign? I'd be surprised if you could name one republican in congress or the senate that is in favor of making it illegal to burn the US flag.

Isn't the plan to ammend the constitution to ban gay marriage a Republican plan?
    No. GWB is in favor of ammending the constitution to ban gay marriage, but it's far from being a republican plan. There is no way this will ever happen. It would be political suicide.

I don't think any of this represents the modern republican party. Both parties disagree on their interpretation of the constitution, but republicans still favor a more strict interpretation of it. Democrats gave us busing, affirmative action, and partial birth abortion. Nothing in the constitution supports any of this.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.