Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Nice way of missing the point. Did you ever read about the Alien and Sedition Act, the revocation of habbeus corpus, the arrest of anyone who opposed the war effort, or the internment of the Japanese? Do you think what Bush is doing is worse than those acts?
    No, of course not, but America today (or any other civilized country) wouldn't allow that!

ReputationRep:
    Nice way of missing the point. Did you ever read about the Alien and Sedition Act, the revocation of habbeus corpus, the arrest of anyone who opposed the war effort, or the internment of the Japanese? Do you think what Bush is doing is worse than those acts?
    Can't forget Korematsu Vs the US...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    Does anyone else here think that the Color-Coded Terror Alerts are complete ********?

BTW, I know that this probably is just a coincidence, but I wanted to mention it: during the elections, I noticed a corellation between the Terror-Alert and the new against Bush. For example, I found that on the days that something was unveiled about Bush, the Terror Levels were severely high; when something was unveiled about Kerry, the Terror Levels were non-existant.
    Guess what.. the elections were over 6 months ago.. get over it!
    Bush won, Kerry lost, you're stuck with bush for 4 more years.. get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Guess what.. the elections were over 6 months ago.. get over it!
    Bush won, Kerry lost, you're stuck with bush for 4 more years.. get used to it.
    Could your reply be any more useless?

ReputationRep:
    No, of course not, but America today (or any other civilized country) wouldn't allow that!
    And funnily enough, most Western countries adopted a terror law similar to ours.

ReputationRep:
    Could your reply be any more useless?
    "Could your reply be any more useless?"

Could've said that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    And what national laws would that be.
    The freedom of information act for starters. Just because Bush doesn’t like the news, doesn’t mean he can censor it.
    Kondar, you've just committed a logical fallacy, an ad hominum attack. You've been doing that quite a lot lately. I can blow your argument away by citing numerous cases where the info is kept secret. Let's start with Kerry's military records.
    Douglas, Im afraid you lost me dear boy. What on gods earth are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    I had the best holiday ever in America. Everyone seemed genuinely polite, not really an intimidation on the streets, alot of pride, even people working in subway seemed proud of their position, which is nice. I thinks its ridiculous to **** off "americans" based on the decisions of george bush, and also most americans that we see on the news, in films etc are only a weeny percentage of what is a massive nation so no1 can really judge, not even me since i only went to Florida, where as people in Texas might be complete ass holes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Kondar, you've just committed a logical fallacy, an ad hominum attack. You've been doing that quite a lot lately. I can blow your argument away by citing numerous cases where the info is kept secret. Let's start with Kerry's military records.
    Are you referring to Kerry's refusal to sign form 180? This would have released a lot of information to the public such as his military records, journals, and medical records.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    I had the best holiday ever in America. Everyone seemed genuinely polite, not really an intimidation on the streets, alot of pride, even people working in subway seemed proud of their position, which is nice. I thinks its ridiculous to **** off "americans" based on the decisions of george bush, and also most americans that we see on the news, in films etc are only a weeny percentage of what is a massive nation so no1 can really judge, not even me since i only went to Florida, where as people in Texas might be complete ass holes.
    Yeah.. texans are *******s . Floridans aren't as bad.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah.. texans are *******s . Floridans aren't as bad.
    i put texas randomly, forgetting that george bush is texan what a coincidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahsum)
    Florida is as good place as any to get a feel for America. Florida's political culture and racial profile almost exactly mirrors the nation's.

Oh, and you would love Texas. Texans are very friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Florida is as good place as any to get a feel for America. Florida's political culture and racial profile almost exactly mirrors the nation's.

cool, I'm def going back to america, hopefully for a while to do some travelling or perhaps I'll take a year placement if possible with my uni course!

ReputationRep:

Texans are friendly. But they are usually boring. They usually don't have a sense of humor. Texans are about the least likable people (probably especially to Brits).

ReputationRep:
    Arizona is better than Texas.

ReputationRep:
    I would never HATE Americans, but their ignorance can be really frustrating sometimes.

I find that many Americans are extremely defensive if you try to debate anything about their actions around the world. Even well-educated people who are normally very friendly and open-minded can become angry if you try to question what they're doing in other countries, the way their lifestyle affects the world, etc.

I guess it's mostly because of the education system that indoctrinates patriotism, but who knows.

You've gotta hand it to Bush though, who else could pull off turning anyone who speaks out against the war into a "traitor"? As if speaking against the President is somehow no longer allowed in the country that says it values personal freedom and expression more than anywhere else in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evilcitizen)
    I would never HATE Americans, but their ignorance can be really frustrating sometimes.

I find that many Americans are extremely defensive if you try to debate anything about their actions around the world. Even well-educated people who are normally very friendly and open-minded can become angry if you try to question what they're doing in other countries, the way their lifestyle affects the world, etc.

I guess it's mostly because of the education system that indoctrinates patriotism, but who knows.
    You have to look at it from the American perspective. It's nearly impossible for an American to speak to a foreigner without said foreigner bringing the topic up. As a general rule, Americans don't even like foreign policy, so imagine being continually forced to discuss something that you dislike. If an American encounters a foreigner, it is rare for the American to bring up the foreigner's homeland's current foreign skirmishes, because it is considered impolite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    You have to look at it from the American perspective. It's nearly impossible for an American to speak to a foreigner without said foreigner bringing the topic up. As a general rule, Americans don't even like foreign policy, so imagine being continually forced to discuss something that you dislike. If an American encounters a foreigner, it is rare for the American to bring up the foreigner's homeland's current foreign skirmishes, because it is considered impolite.
    I was making fun of the Ecuadorian political system while talking to an Ecuadorian sailor the day after his president got overthrown. He didn't seem to mind.

(Original post by evilcitizen)
    You've gotta hand it to Bush though, who else could pull off turning anyone who speaks out against the war into a "traitor"? As if speaking against the President is somehow no longer allowed in the country that says it values personal freedom and expression more than anywhere else in the world.
    Not again. Who did Bush call a traitor? A third of Americans oppose the war you know. I don't recall Bush calling a single one of them a traitor. If foreigners were not so ignorant about the US political system, perhaps Americans wouldn't get so mad when hearing these foreigners spout nonsense?

Are you referring to Kerry's refusal to sign form 180? This would have released a lot of information to the public such as his military records, journals, and medical records.
    Yes, specifically his military medical records. We need to pin down the type of bandaids used.

ReputationRep:
    I was making fun of the Ecuadorian political system while talking to an Ecuadorian sailor the day after his president got overthrown. He didn't seem to mind.
    But were you speaking in Spanish or English?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.