Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Going back to BBC bias, here's a nice instance of bias by omission. The story about Iraqis torturing fellow Iraqis (found here), is nowhere in sight on the BBC website. Americans strip Iraqis = front page news. Iraqis mutilate fellow Iraqis = doesn't make the news.
    Your technique of attacking somebody, accusing them (or "their" ethics) of millions of deaths, and then dodging the argument by abruptly changing the subject makes me wonder whether you yourself really believe in your own case. Generally, the conservatives of TSR make use of time-wasting, obscurantism and the specious "anti-capitalism = Soviet communism" argument to such an extent that, as far as I'm concerned, it calls their sincerity into question.

Federal spending was $1.8 trillion in 2000. $1.8 trillion in 2000 is worth $2 trillion right now according to this handy calculator. Federal spending in 2005 is $2.5 trillion. Do the math. Go to Section 1 for the stats.
    If the 2.5 tril is true, then we'll have to see what it means as a % of GDP.

(Original post by foolfarian)
    What are you talking about?
    Hey Farian, Bismarck is simply pointing out that the BBC Is anti American whether it's on page 1 or page 22.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    If the 2.5 tril is true, then we'll have to see what it means as a % of GDP.
    GDP is going up about 3% per year (as it has for the last decade and a half), spending is going up 4.5% per year and revenues are on pace to go back to their 2000 level this year.

ReputationRep:
    GDP is going up about 3% per year (as it has for the last decade and a half), spending is going up 4.5% per year and revenues are on pace to go back to their 2000 level this year.
    Oh, hush! No one likes an economist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    :cheeky:

ReputationRep:
    being economist is actually a good thing. have tyou thought about your countries progress? or do ujst give a load of s**t for wether the nation is doing well or not as long as you're rich.

ReputationRep:
    ZOMG IM A GHEY HIPPIE balallalalalalla GEOGRE BUSH IS AN OIL ***** balalaalallaalalalaal I SUCK

=\

ReputationRep:
    noicce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~MOi~)
    being economist is actually a good thing. have tyou thought about your countries progress? or do ujst give a load of s**t for wether the nation is doing well or not as long as you're rich.
    A) It was a joke, hence the " ".
    B) Actually, my brother has degree in economics, so I'm not an anti-economite, or something equally sinister.
    C) I don't think you know how much money I have, do you? If you did, I would find it reason to become concerned, as I have not shared such information with random forum patrons.

ReputationRep:
    B) Actually, my brother has degree in economics, so I'm not an anti-economite, or something equally sinister.
    Tsk, a predictable response from a racist...I mean econophobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Isn't the campaign to make it illegal to burn the US flag a Republican campaign?
    The house has just given the green light to a constitutional amendment that would make burning an American flag a crime. It was on the news today. It passed to 286 to 130. That is 8 more votes than it needed to send it on to the senate. Over 75 of those votes in favor of this amendment came from the democrats. If 2/3 of the senate approve, then it will go to the states for ratification

ReputationRep:
    I'm American, and i'm not exactly president of GWB's fan club. you might be surprised by how many americans dont like GWB. also, i don't think the US joined the war "2 years too late".... it must not have been too late considering we won. and yes, some parts of america ARE ghetto, but with a country this large, how could we not have slummy areas?? i'm sure there are slums in britain,too. and to any of you who DO hate americans, seriously: im sure i dont like ALL british people, but i judge them on a whole because itsnot fair to those who might be good people with some sense.

OH. and i checked my dictionary, and "shut up" is in the American language, if not in the english language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xlaura_loo)
    i don't think the US joined the war "2 years too late".... it must not have been too late considering we won.
    And please do tell us dear friend...what exactly did you win?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdel)
    And please do tell us dear friend...what exactly did you win?
    The status of a superpower.

ReputationRep:
    The status of a superpower.
    Point 1. well done on invading a poor country hit by different embargos.

Point 2. That status won last for long either.

Point 3. LEts just hope no WMD's are connected to China..however highly unlikely considering how your pride would be wounded..

ReputationRep:
    Point 1. well done on invading a poor country hit by different embargos.

Point 2. That status won last for long either.

Point 3. LEts just hope no WMD's are connected to China..however highly unlikely considering how your pride would be wounded..
    China has nuclear weapons. American propaganda, right?

ReputationRep:
    China has nuclear weapons. American propaganda, right?
    So why didnt you invade them then?

ReputationRep:
    So why didnt you invade them then?
    Same reason we didn't invade the Soviet Union.

ReputationRep:
    Same reason we didn't invade the Soviet Union.
    So what you need to invade small countries once in a while to encourage the so called 'americanism' and give people the impression that you are the centre of the world?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.