Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i have personally never been to america in my life but the americans i have known seem ok, my dad on the other hand absolutely despises of them, mainly due to working for a number of american companies in the past therefore only seeing them in the business world.. (gung ho type of people) i think i will have to visit america soon as i have heard many good things about the country..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccardo)
    I said nothing about the Chinese. The question was about America. I will be consistent when you stop relying on non-sequiturs.
    It isn't a non-sequitur, it's an example of the logic you used to despise America....and a good example of how that logic is falwed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    It isn't a non-sequitur, it's an example of the logic you used to despise America....and a good example of how that logic is falwed.
    Of course it's a non-sequitur. The question was about America, not China. I said nothing about my attitude towards China as my opinion on China was not asked for. My logic is not flawed, nor does your irrelevant question highlight a flaw in my logic. The fact that China is equally en prise of the argument I used against America has absolutely no bearing on the validity of my argument against America. Go tell the Dutch that their spelling is illogical and they will say 'the English is worse'. Does this matter? No, Dutch spelling is still illogical. To refer to the state of English spelling is to use a non-sequitur. I think this is an analogue of American/Chinese fossil fuel consumption.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riccardo)
    Of course it's a non-sequitur. The question was about America, not China. I think this is an analogue of American/Chinese fossil fuel consumption.
    The reasons that you despise america are flawed, bottom line.

ReputationRep:
    if somebody made a thread asking if you hated arabs there would be outrage. this shows that none of you really give a **** about political correctness and have just been indoctronated, and are incapable of thinking for yourselves. morons.

ReputationRep:
    No. Now why would you feel the need to discriminate against Americans?

ReputationRep:
    The reasons that you despise america are flawed, bottom line.
    The point is that I may despise China too and I would talk about that in another thread entitled "Do you hate the Chinese?" I understand the points about political correctness though, it would be very unpopular to start such a thread about China.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it suck to have to live with Americans?

ReputationRep:
    I hate certain Americans like that dumb mofo G. Bush and others but some of them are OK.

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of hard for anyone to claim they hate a WHOLE nation. America's a pretty big place. so, no, i dont hate americans. sometimes i hate certain americans, and sometimes i hate what some americans represent.

ReputationRep:
    i dont mind Americans but i must admit G.Bush is dumb... of all the people to pick from why him...!??!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SideView)
    i dont mind Americans but i must admit G.Bush is dumb... of all the people to pick from why him...!??!
    I don't like Bush by any standards, but I think that energy is wasted by complaining about him. We should be focusing more on what to change, rather than who to change.

ReputationRep:
    How can you focus on what to change when dumbass doesnt even back Kyoto-style deal on climate changes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    That's because Canada was where all of the loyalists moved to... :rolleyes:

And all of our *crazy* ideas, like the Rights of Man and the idea that citizens should be able to participate in their own government... What a bunch of flakes! :rolleyes:
    Tom Paine was an Englishman, the American Independence owes alot to British free thinkers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OppressedMass)
    Tom Paine was an Englishman, the American Independence owes alot to British free thinkers.
    No man chooses his birthplace.

I was more incensed at the accusations made by the poster to whom I was originally replying. Whilst I abhor those small-minded individuals who would belittle the American Independence movement, I maintain a great deal of gratitude for the ideas behind it having been created by some very outstanding individuals of British descent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    I maintain a great deal of gratitude for the ideas behind it having been created by some very outstanding individuals of British descent.
    And French, but Americans don't like to be reminded of that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Well, we were discussing independence initially, so the comments were only really meant to be demonstrative of America's ties to Britain. If we're going to start listing off every group that America is indebted to, the seeming immortality of this thread is assured.

And, considering that the French used America has a testing grounds for democracy before they had the intestinal fortitude to go for it themselves, I'd call us even, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Actually, we don't mind at all, as Lafeyette and co were the "good ol days".

Especially when compared to these current Du Vellepin days..... :eek:

Hopefully someone rational like Sarkozy will be the next Prime Minister....

I really think you have the wrong idea when it comes to US treatment of the french. The worst we end up doing is silly jokes, things that have no trade relevance or otherwise. (freedom fries in no other place but the white house cafeteria)

The french media is the one that generally persists in hype against the "hyperpower"....why? Probably becuase it sells more papers....

ReputationRep:
    Actually, we don't mind at all, as Lafeyette and co were the "good ol days".

Especially when compared to these current Du Vellepin days..... :eek:

Hopefully someone rational like Sarkozy will be the next Prime Minister....

I really think you have the wrong idea when it comes to US treatment of the french. The worst we end up doing is silly jokes, things that have no trade relevance or otherwise. (freedom fries in no other place but the white house cafeteria)

The french media is the one that generally persists in hype against the "hyperpower"....why? Probably becuase it sells more papers....
    No i know, it was just the recent business, about cheese eating surrender monkeys

The French media is still hung up on the bufoon....Dopey De Gaulle,

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.