Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bodhisattva)
    Fair enough. You mean people who actually go around permanently imitating a different accent and vernacular for whatever reason? e.g. to impress?
    I mean...oh *******s, i'm tired of this I mean pretentious sounding use of foreign vernacular from a person with no link to that country/region...i don't wan't to talk about it any more
    Sometimes i get the impression it's regarded as anti-american to believe that the entire world's culture shouldn't be americanised. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    That would measure results, not opportunity. Social mobility is the possibility of advancement if other conditions are met, not everyone advancing whether they meet those conditions or not.
    What kind of conditions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    Pretty much yes
    Can't say I know anybody like that. I'd find it strange to say the least, if the reason were purely to attempt to impress others, I'd find that a little sad. Ok as psychic_satori mentioned - we've all done it at some time or other in fun - but to integrate it as part of one's life?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of conditions?
    Talent and hard work, though the latter by itself should provide some measurable benefits.

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate America. I dislike their politics though.

ReputationRep:
    Talent and hard work.
    Well they can never be accurately measured, so its impossible to statistically prove America is more 'the land of oppurtunity' than anywhere else.

ReputationRep:
    Well they can never be accurately measured, so its impossible to statistically prove America is more 'the land of oppurtunity' than anywhere else.
    In this instance perception becomes reality.

And it is possible to measure it, but it would be a very subjective and complex project.

(Original post by marmitebagel)
    I dont hate America. I dislike their politics though.
    Isn't that the same thing? What if I said that I don't hate you, but I do hate everything that makes you you.

ReputationRep:
    And it is possible to measure it, but it would be a very subjective and complex project.
    If the way to measure social mobility is how many people with the talent and hard work make it regardless of their economic background, there would be NO serious, rigourous way to measure that. As you say 'talent' and 'hard work' are complex concepts, and any judgement would be highly subjective. Maybe the former could be specualatively measured by some 'innate intelligence' test, and/or specific qualifications, but the latter could surely only be measured in terms of hours of work put in, and you couldn't measure other factors which comprise 'hard work', such as focus. All in all there'd be way too many variables to take into account and accurately measure. To my mind, using your definition of social mobility, it is impossible to prove one country has more of it than another...

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm sure both the UK and the US beat Zimbabwe in social mobility....so it could be measured, but the results would never be totally conclusive....

Oh, and lets just say that all slang, be it imitated or not, can be annoying under certain conditions ( IE if you speak it all the damn time) :cool:

ReputationRep:
    someone said that preserving culture is important, then went on to say that focusing on language is petty.sorry, but isn't slang/language a pretty large part of cultural identity??I think it's a shame if old english phrases die out in favour of new American ones myself.I like a nod to the past.everyone would find it odd if Americans said English phrases like 'mate' so why not the other way round.i think American infuence is too pervasive myself.oh...and to that person who keeps banging on about how it shouldn't be about 'form over substance' lets be honest here,those people who say 'loser' or '24/7' alot may not have all that much 'substance' anyway.i think people like that watch way too much tv...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I never thought of 24/7 as a slang term. Seemed more like a general universal business term....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Honestly I never thought of 24/7 as a slang term. Seemed more like a general universal business term....

it might not be slang in America..i don't really know.all i know is that i find it a bit disconcerting when people use it.mind you, i am english....easily startled and all that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spig)
    it might not be slang in America..i don't really know.all i know is that i find it a bit disconcerting when people use it.mind you, i am english....easily startled and all that
    Well, I agree that preserving culture is important, but I just don't see how some kids using american slang terms can be so ..threatening..to local culture. I am somewhat at a loss to understand why Naivesincerity and other take it like it's a bigger threat then North Korea getting nuclear power....

It goes both ways, and americans don't start freaking out when they play coldplay on the radio...... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It goes both ways, and americans don't start freaking out when they play coldplay on the radio...... :confused:
    Speak for yourself! "It's just too sensitive...my cynicism...can't...take...*gasps for air*...dying..." :goodnight

ReputationRep:

I do, they bore me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Speak for yourself! "It's just too sensitive...my cynicism...can't...take...*gasps for air*...dying..." :goodnight
    I get it now, i thought it was a lyric.....

ReputationRep:
    Well, I agree that preserving culture is important, but I just don't see how some kids using american slang terms can be so ..threatening..to local culture. I am somewhat at a loss to understand why Naivesincerity and other take it like it's a bigger threat then North Korea getting nuclear power....
    It doesn't worry me quite as much possible mass destruction of the world through nuclear warfare, but it's annoying

ReputationRep:

i don't really feel threatened by it .it was an off the cuff comment about how i find some people oddly easily influenced.I'm not particularly fussed about North Korea though either-i have little perspective.it may '[go] both ways but there's no doubt it goes more one way more than the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spig)
    someone said that preserving culture is important, then went on to say that focusing on language is petty.sorry, but isn't slang/language a pretty large part of cultural identity??I think it's a shame if old english phrases die out in favour of new American ones myself.I like a nod to the past.everyone would find it odd if Americans said English phrases like 'mate' so why not the other way round.i think American infuence is too pervasive myself.oh...and to that person who keeps banging on about how it shouldn't be about 'form over substance' lets be honest here,those people who say 'loser' or '24/7' alot may not have all that much 'substance' anyway.i think people like that watch way too much tv...
    I find it very sad that out of all the things that Britain stands for and accomplished in its long history, you think it should be defined by the use or nonuse of a handful of words.

ReputationRep:
    yeah why not

you've gotta hate someone

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.