Do you hate Americans?

Watch
Kondar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Ive been all over the US- there are just as many idiots in the north, west, and east as there are in the south. Ever been to upstate New York??
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Kondar)
Ive been all over the US- there are just as many idiots in the north, west, and east as there are in the south. Ever been to upstate New York??
Beg to differ. I've been across half of America--including the Midwest and the South, but not the East Coast (where I want to live ironically) and I live in the West. I've also been abroad to Europe and Asia, and there are usually concentrated idiots in certain areas that shall remain nameless.

However it's not so much "idiocy" as much as the culture of that region is characterized as "dumb" by the ones we are used to, if that makes any sense at all. Thus it's subjective idiocy that does concentrate itself within certain regions.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which regions would those be?
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which regions would those be?

Pretty much the Midwest and the South if u want me to be blunt, moreso the latter.
spikdboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
Pretty much the Midwest and the South if u want me to be blunt, moreso the latter.
Totally agree with everything you just said .

(Original post by kondar)
I was only there briefly, but they appeared quite a bit brighter than the average Southerner. I was privelaged enough to stay in/near downtown Manhattan during my 3 week visit to New York. I want to go to college there now .
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
Pretty much the Midwest and the South if u want me to be blunt.
I think you are stereoptyping these areas and your exposure must be rather limited. The smaller the town, the less educated the people generally are. As someone who as lived in the south his entire life I can tell you that intelligence and education are pretty much evenly spread out over the US. Podunk, Alabama is not going to be much different than hicksville, New York.

I'd put the people from my small town of Chapel Hill, NC against any comprable sized city in America. The same goes for the island where I spend my summers and its a town of 2000 people.

You disagree?
spikdboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think you are stereoptyping these areas and your exposure must be rather limited. The smaller the town, the less educated the people generally are. As someone who as lived in the south his entire life I can tell you that intelligence and education are pretty much evenly spread out over the US. Podunk, Alabama is not going to be much different than hicksville, New York.

I'd put the people from my small town of Chapel Hill, NC against any comprable sized city in America. The same goes for the island where I spend my summers and its a town of 2000 people.

You disagree?
I disagree.

I live in West Plano, Texas, one of wealthiest areas in the nation. It's a large city (200 some thousand people) and just a bit off of Dallas and Fort Worth, two of the largest cities in the US.

That's where I get the majority of my perceptions from.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

You disagree?
I was not referring to education, but to normal culture. It's truly a lot slower and the people aren't pushed as much to do more as they are in other regions. (My friend from hs ended up studying at Texas Christian university and told me she was pissed because she had to repeat everything she said to get the point across.)

I was actually in Dallas, not Podunk or anything, and then drove around the Midwest on a separate occasion. Oh, another thing, Dallas is very, very segregated...
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by spikdboy)
I disagree.

I live in West Plano, Texas, one of wealthiest areas in the nation. It's a large city (200 some thousand people) and just a bit off of Dallas and Fort Worth, two of the largest cities in the US.

That's where I get the majority of my perceptions from.
Do you honestly have a basis for comparrison?

Ive lived in six different states, travelled and spent extensive time in another half dozen. I've partied at every school in the ACC- 12 schools as far south as Tallahasee and as far north as Hartford, Conn. Spent my summers in Conn and my youth in Texas/OK.

I have family in upstate New York and visiting them is like a trip on the Jerry Springer show- you should see the people that live in this town.

Not to play the age card, but maybe when you get a little older you will understand.

Again, I think its all about the size of the town you live in.
Dekota
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
So basically, you're hypothesizing that the size of the town in which you reside, affects your intellgence?
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ricki)
So basically, you're hypothesizing that the size of the town in which you reside, affects your intellgence?
The discussion at hand is how location relates to intelligence/education. There was a suggestion that living below a certain line of latitude somehow resulted in a decreased education/awareness or whatever you want to call it. I disagreed with this claim and stated that I believed that it had more to do with the size of the city in which one lives. For example, those who live in a town of 500 with no major universities, no museums, art galleries ect.. are at a disadvantage in not having access to these outlets of higher learning.

Basically if you live in a small town where the girls get wet going up the highway and watching the 18 wheelers go by, then I doubt the percentage of people with advanced degrees is going to be even remotely existent. Educated people follow jobs/money/opportunities. The size of a city is almost directly proportional to the oppurtunities they provide. I think you see my point.
Dekota
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The discussion at hand is how location relates to intelligence/education. There was a suggestion that living below a certain line of latitude somehow resulted in a decreased education/awareness or whatever you want to call it. I disagreed with this claim and stated that I believed that it had more to do with the size of the city in which one lives. For example, those who live in a town of 500 with no major universities, no museums, art galleries ect.. are at a disadvantage in not having access to these outlets of higher learning.

Basically if you live in a small town where the girls get wet going up the highway and watching the 18 wheelers go by, then I doubt the percentage of people with advanced degrees is going to be even remotely existent. Educated people follow jobs/money/opportunities. The size of a city is almost directly proportional to the oppurtunities they provide. I think you see my point.
Okay, I would tend to agree there...

But saying 'location relates to intelligence/education' is different to the point you're trying to make. Having access to the various facilities may not yet affect the people in anyway.

Also, having an education does not mean having intellectual capabilities. Some people are just lucky to get the jobs they get.

I agree with 'The size of a city is almost directly proportional to the oppurtunities they provide.'
spikdboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do you honestly have a basis for comparrison?

Ive lived in six different states, travelled and spent extensive time in another half dozen. I've partied at every school in the ACC- 12 schools as far south as Tallahasee and as far north as Hartford, Conn. Spent my summers in Conn and my youth in Texas/OK.

I have family in upstate New York and visiting them is like a trip on the Jerry Springer show- you should see the people that live in this town.

Not to play the age card, but maybe when you get a little older you will understand.

Maybe I will, but for now, I feel like Southerners are mostly on a lower intellect level than Californians and New Yorkers.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gcharter/iq.txt

New England States' IQs:
Connecticut - 113
Massachusetts - 111
New Jersey - 111
New York - 109

West Coast States' IQs:
Washington - 102
California - 101
Oregon - 99

Southern States' IQs:
Louisiana - 90
Texas - 92
Mississippi - 85
Alabama - 90

I'd be willing to bet anything that the average IQ of residents in the Silicon Valley and Manhattan exceed any of these tremendously.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Maybe I will, but for now, I feel like Southerners are mostly on a lower intellect level than Californians and New Yorkers.

I'd be willing to bet anything that the average IQ of residents in the Silicon Valley and Manhattan exceed any of these tremendously.
That link is hilarious....and ravages statistics.

Damn right the Silicon Valley is...well it's full of engineers while Manhattan is full of MBAs and JDs.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

New England States' IQs:
Connecticut - 113
Massachusetts - 111
New Jersey - 111
New York - 109

West Coast States' IQs:
Washington - 102
California - 101
Oregon - 99

Southern States' IQs:
Louisiana - 90
Texas - 92
Mississippi - 85
Alabama - 90
haha, you know I used these same statistics to point out that the Red States were dumber than the Blue states. If you did your homework and read a bit about this research you would know that it got blown to pieces as being inconstitant and basically BS. The numbers come from various SAT scores from various high schools, NOT IQ tests. They were not taken from entire states but from sample populations. They are almost universally refuted.
Yes, I agree, both Manhattan and SV offer very high paying jobs. Ever heard of Research Triangle Park in North Carolina? Highest percentage of PHD's in the Nation.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

New England States' IQs:
Connecticut - 113
Massachusetts - 111
New Jersey - 111
New York - 109

West Coast States' IQs:
Washington - 102
California - 101
Oregon - 99

Southern States' IQs:
Louisiana - 90
Texas - 92
Mississippi - 85
Alabama - 90

Does IQ = intelligence? Most scientists say no.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dyn.../comments/960/

So, is this false information indicative of all Texans?
spikdboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well, they're not perfect, but they are quite good indicators.
spikdboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/dyn.../comments/960/

So, is this false information indicative of all Texans?
Haha! I knew Texas' average IQ could be 92! It's gotta be lower.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Haha! I knew Texas' average IQ could be 92! It's gotta be lower.
Any lower, it'd be "******ed." Literally.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (73)
18.53%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (79)
20.05%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (75)
19.04%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (85)
21.57%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (41)
10.41%
I haven't started researching yet (41)
10.41%

Watched Threads