Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Well, I dont really know if she took it or not. I let her borrow my camera for most of the boat ride, but I took a bunch of shots myself. I think, in the end, we both agreed that she took it, but who knows. Basically, Im just a nice guy and let her have a little bit of glory

(This will probably make her a bit mad, so I hope she overlooks it-hehe)
    You, a nice guy? Laughable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikdboy)
    Alright. . .

1. I tend to dislike a huge portion of America (cough cough the South)
    2. I hate George Bush with a passion
    Why do you hate the south?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Library)
    We Love You America!
    :ditto:

Without you America, the world would be incomplete.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    omg, you definitely did NOT say that!

You yourself are from a southern state.
    Just because I'm living here doesn't mean I'm from here. I've spent 1/10 of my relatively short life here.

(Original post by Moncal)
    Why do you hate the south?
    I can't say that I hate all of the south.

But the parts that I've been to (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama), I haven't been very impressed by. I dislike their attitudes. I find the majority of them uninteresting and dull.

Maybe I'm just spoiled, growing up in the Silicon Valley, one of the "smartest" and most unique places in the world. I just don't mesh well with southerners on the whole. The only people I really like in America are West-Coasters and the New English (not sure either one of those are real phrases).

ReputationRep:

Maybe I'm just spoiled, growing up in the Silicon Valley, one of the "smartest" and most unique places in the world. I just don't mesh well with southerners on the whole. The only people I really like in America are West-Coasters and the New English (not sure either one of those are real phrases).

REPRESENT SILICON VALLEY! (I was born there....)

I was in Texas and it was really different...as in much slower; it's hard meshing with those who talk at speeds of 5 words per minute.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been all over the US- there are just as many idiots in the north, west, and east as there are in the south. Ever been to upstate New York??

ReputationRep:
    Ive been all over the US- there are just as many idiots in the north, west, and east as there are in the south. Ever been to upstate New York??
    Beg to differ. I've been across half of America--including the Midwest and the South, but not the East Coast (where I want to live ironically) and I live in the West. I've also been abroad to Europe and Asia, and there are usually concentrated idiots in certain areas that shall remain nameless.

However it's not so much "idiocy" as much as the culture of that region is characterized as "dumb" by the ones we are used to, if that makes any sense at all. Thus it's subjective idiocy that does concentrate itself within certain regions.

ReputationRep:
    Which regions would those be?

ReputationRep:
    Which regions would those be?

Pretty much the Midwest and the South if u want me to be blunt, moreso the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Pretty much the Midwest and the South if u want me to be blunt, moreso the latter.
    Totally agree with everything you just said .

(Original post by kondar)
    I was only there briefly, but they appeared quite a bit brighter than the average Southerner. I was privelaged enough to stay in/near downtown Manhattan during my 3 week visit to New York. I want to go to college there now .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Pretty much the Midwest and the South if u want me to be blunt.
    I think you are stereoptyping these areas and your exposure must be rather limited. The smaller the town, the less educated the people generally are. As someone who as lived in the south his entire life I can tell you that intelligence and education are pretty much evenly spread out over the US. Podunk, Alabama is not going to be much different than hicksville, New York.

I'd put the people from my small town of Chapel Hill, NC against any comprable sized city in America. The same goes for the island where I spend my summers and its a town of 2000 people.

You disagree?

ReputationRep:
    I think you are stereoptyping these areas and your exposure must be rather limited. The smaller the town, the less educated the people generally are. As someone who as lived in the south his entire life I can tell you that intelligence and education are pretty much evenly spread out over the US. Podunk, Alabama is not going to be much different than hicksville, New York.

I'd put the people from my small town of Chapel Hill, NC against any comprable sized city in America. The same goes for the island where I spend my summers and its a town of 2000 people.

You disagree?
    I disagree.

I live in West Plano, Texas, one of wealthiest areas in the nation. It's a large city (200 some thousand people) and just a bit off of Dallas and Fort Worth, two of the largest cities in the US.

That's where I get the majority of my perceptions from.

ReputationRep:

You disagree?
    I was not referring to education, but to normal culture. It's truly a lot slower and the people aren't pushed as much to do more as they are in other regions. (My friend from hs ended up studying at Texas Christian university and told me she was pissed because she had to repeat everything she said to get the point across.)

I was actually in Dallas, not Podunk or anything, and then drove around the Midwest on a separate occasion. Oh, another thing, Dallas is very, very segregated...

ReputationRep:
    I disagree.

I live in West Plano, Texas, one of wealthiest areas in the nation. It's a large city (200 some thousand people) and just a bit off of Dallas and Fort Worth, two of the largest cities in the US.

That's where I get the majority of my perceptions from.
    Do you honestly have a basis for comparrison?

Ive lived in six different states, travelled and spent extensive time in another half dozen. I've partied at every school in the ACC- 12 schools as far south as Tallahasee and as far north as Hartford, Conn. Spent my summers in Conn and my youth in Texas/OK.

I have family in upstate New York and visiting them is like a trip on the Jerry Springer show- you should see the people that live in this town.

Not to play the age card, but maybe when you get a little older you will understand.

Again, I think its all about the size of the town you live in.

ReputationRep:
    So basically, you're hypothesizing that the size of the town in which you reside, affects your intellgence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricki)
    So basically, you're hypothesizing that the size of the town in which you reside, affects your intellgence?
    The discussion at hand is how location relates to intelligence/education. There was a suggestion that living below a certain line of latitude somehow resulted in a decreased education/awareness or whatever you want to call it. I disagreed with this claim and stated that I believed that it had more to do with the size of the city in which one lives. For example, those who live in a town of 500 with no major universities, no museums, art galleries ect.. are at a disadvantage in not having access to these outlets of higher learning.

Basically if you live in a small town where the girls get wet going up the highway and watching the 18 wheelers go by, then I doubt the percentage of people with advanced degrees is going to be even remotely existent. Educated people follow jobs/money/opportunities. The size of a city is almost directly proportional to the oppurtunities they provide. I think you see my point.

ReputationRep:
    The discussion at hand is how location relates to intelligence/education. There was a suggestion that living below a certain line of latitude somehow resulted in a decreased education/awareness or whatever you want to call it. I disagreed with this claim and stated that I believed that it had more to do with the size of the city in which one lives. For example, those who live in a town of 500 with no major universities, no museums, art galleries ect.. are at a disadvantage in not having access to these outlets of higher learning.

Basically if you live in a small town where the girls get wet going up the highway and watching the 18 wheelers go by, then I doubt the percentage of people with advanced degrees is going to be even remotely existent. Educated people follow jobs/money/opportunities. The size of a city is almost directly proportional to the oppurtunities they provide. I think you see my point.
    Okay, I would tend to agree there...

But saying 'location relates to intelligence/education' is different to the point you're trying to make. Having access to the various facilities may not yet affect the people in anyway.

Also, having an education does not mean having intellectual capabilities. Some people are just lucky to get the jobs they get.

I agree with 'The size of a city is almost directly proportional to the oppurtunities they provide.'

ReputationRep:
    Do you honestly have a basis for comparrison?

Ive lived in six different states, travelled and spent extensive time in another half dozen. I've partied at every school in the ACC- 12 schools as far south as Tallahasee and as far north as Hartford, Conn. Spent my summers in Conn and my youth in Texas/OK.

I have family in upstate New York and visiting them is like a trip on the Jerry Springer show- you should see the people that live in this town.

Not to play the age card, but maybe when you get a little older you will understand.

Maybe I will, but for now, I feel like Southerners are mostly on a lower intellect level than Californians and New Yorkers.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~gcharter/iq.txt

New England States' IQs:
    Connecticut - 113
    Massachusetts - 111
    New Jersey - 111
    New York - 109

West Coast States' IQs:
    Washington - 102
    California - 101
    Oregon - 99

Southern States' IQs:
    Louisiana - 90
    Texas - 92
    Mississippi - 85
    Alabama - 90

I'd be willing to bet anything that the average IQ of residents in the Silicon Valley and Manhattan exceed any of these tremendously.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I will, but for now, I feel like Southerners are mostly on a lower intellect level than Californians and New Yorkers.

I'd be willing to bet anything that the average IQ of residents in the Silicon Valley and Manhattan exceed any of these tremendously.
    That link is hilarious....and ravages statistics.

Damn right the Silicon Valley is...well it's full of engineers while Manhattan is full of MBAs and JDs.

ReputationRep:

New England States' IQs:
    Connecticut - 113
    Massachusetts - 111
    New Jersey - 111
    New York - 109

West Coast States' IQs:
    Washington - 102
    California - 101
    Oregon - 99

Southern States' IQs:
    Louisiana - 90
    Texas - 92
    Mississippi - 85
    Alabama - 90
    haha, you know I used these same statistics to point out that the Red States were dumber than the Blue states. If you did your homework and read a bit about this research you would know that it got blown to pieces as being inconstitant and basically BS. The numbers come from various SAT scores from various high schools, NOT IQ tests. They were not taken from entire states but from sample populations. They are almost universally refuted.
    Yes, I agree, both Manhattan and SV offer very high paying jobs. Ever heard of Research Triangle Park in North Carolina? Highest percentage of PHD's in the Nation.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.