The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you hate Americans?

Scroll to see replies

Douglas
Yes Jonathan, of course, you're right, and you might add to the list.......Christians, who've taken a terrible beating over the past few years. As you said (in many cases), replace the word Christian with Muslim, you'd be tarred, feathered and thrown on the 1st boxcar outta town.

"Y’all don’t know what it’s like
Being male, middle class and white"
- Ben Folds Five, Rocking the Suburbs

Anyway, I'd like to tell a little story.
I got an email yesterday, sent round to all the First Year Law Students here at Nottingham Uni from the Careers Department guy.

The subject was: [Law-firstyear] Female students and students from Black and Ethnic Minority communities

The content then followed: You may wish to look at the following site for placement opportunities with major legal and non legal firms.

Now, I think being Jewish with foreign-born and foreign-nationality parents qualifies me as some sort of "ethnic minority", but I damn well don't want to be given an advantage purely on factors I have no control over, such as ethnicity.

Look at the casual, acceptable discrimination. Females and minorities are given a service to help them with placements. What about white males? They need placements too, and are going to have just as much problem as anyone else finding them, why aren't they given a service? Especially as many firms are already on drives for "diversity" which mean that white males are rather undesirable compared to ethnic minorities and females.
Now, I am entirely in favour of ethnic minorities and females having equal rights and not being discriminated against, but those things should not be a deployable advantage on their own. Placements etc. should be given out to the best students, not just in academic terms, but in overall terms. It's not like University entry, where allowance has to be made for different quality secondary-schools, we're ALL having the same standard of Law education! It's ridiculous that some people should be able to use pure factors of appearance, rather than merit, as an advantage. Why should white males today suffer just because they may have been advantaged in the past, it's not something they can control or help, why must they suffer for it?
Reply 2881
JonathanH
"Y’all don’t know what it’s like
Being male, middle class and white"
- Ben Folds Five, Rocking the Suburbs

Anyway, I'd like to tell a little story.
I got an email yesterday, sent round to all the First Year Law Students here at Nottingham Uni from the Careers Department guy.

The subject was: [Law-firstyear] Female students and students from Black and Ethnic Minority communities

The content then followed: You may wish to look at the following site for placement opportunities with major legal and non legal firms.

Now, I think being Jewish with foreign-born and foreign-nationality parents qualifies me as some sort of "ethnic minority", but I damn well don't want to be given an advantage purely on factors I have no control over, such as ethnicity.

Look at the casual, acceptable discrimination. Females and minorities are given a service to help them with placements. What about white males? They need placements too, and are going to have just as much problem as anyone else finding them, why aren't they given a service? Especially as many firms are already on drives for "diversity" which mean that white males are rather undesirable compared to ethnic minorities and females.
Now, I am entirely in favour of ethnic minorities and females having equal rights and not being discriminated against, but those things should not be a deployable advantage on their own. Placements etc. should be given out to the best students, not just in academic terms, but in overall terms. It's not like University entry, where allowance has to be made for different quality secondary-schools, we're ALL having the same standard of Law education! It's ridiculous that some people should be able to use pure factors of appearance, rather than merit, as an advantage. Why should white males today suffer just because they may have been advantaged in the past, it's not something they can control or help, why must they suffer for it?

Bacially, you dont like positive discrimination. But the fact is white males dont need so much help because still in so many situations, racism and sexism still exists on certain levels of many people - so white males get picked. If this were not true, society would have evolved past positive discrimination.

Also, I wouldnt mind being positive discrimination towards me!! You should be happy that you are advantageous!

and Finally: Americans are GREAT!
If Americans will hail us Brits, I see no reason for conflict between us nations.
Reply 2883
I dont hate American people, only American government and their foreign policy which seems to be dictated by thirst for oil...
Oil very probably plays a part - how significant a part I don't know - but it's certainly not that simple.
Americans are slaves.
Reply 2886
reckless
Americans are slaves.

In what sense are they slaves, that the rest of humanity is not? :confused:
Reply 2887
God, I can't belive 33% have said yes, how can people generalise to that extent?! Shocking!
Reply 2888
Yes I dislike Americans.

All American tourists are loud, obnoxious, superficial and brash.
djchak
In what sense are they slaves, that the rest of humanity is not? :confused:

Americans don't have a right to live, if they are not willing to commit to slavery.
zooropa
Yes I dislike Americans.

"American tourists" ≠ "Americans in general". While seeing unpleasant tourists may be the only experience of Americans you have had, it's a bit of a leap to apply it to all the ones you haven't seen.
--------------
reckless
Americans don't have a right to live, if they are not willing to commit to slavery.
What?
Reply 2891
So what? They're all bad.
How do you know?
Reply 2893
I know.
How? Intuitively? You can't have met them all. And you can't judge just on the example of their government, because with such a tightly-fought election it only represents about 50% of the 80% (I think - correct be if this turnout figure is wrong) of Americans who voted.
Reply 2895
I just don't like them.

People are allowed irrational prejudices, you know.
OK.
Reply 2897
I'm glad it's OK!
Reply 2898
zooropa

No, all American tourists THAT YOU NOTICE are those things. Logically, you would notice ones like that to a far larger extent than you would notice American tourists who may be quieter, more reserved and keep more to themselves. Which renders your viewpoint entirely pointless with a huge flaw in the reasoning. Who knows why you have 6 red blocks...

Oh, and my girlfriend is American.

Agent Smith
it only represents about 50% of the 80% (I think - correct be if this turnout figure is wrong) of Americans who voted.

You are wrong, Agent Smith :smile:
Turnout in the US is nowhere near the 80% mark. In the 2004 Presidential election it was only around 60% and that was significantly up on the turnout in 2000 which was only around 50%.
Illuvatar
Do you?

No, because you cannot blame a whole nationality for what a small percentage of the nation have done to other countries etc

and usually they are ashamed to even consider what happened, I know my American cousins are, and its 'some what similar' to the whole of Germany getting blamed for everything whilst it was someone in power who ordered people and Germans still today are ashamed over what happened xoxo

Latest

Trending

Trending