Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know.

ReputationRep:
    How? Intuitively? You can't have met them all. And you can't judge just on the example of their government, because with such a tightly-fought election it only represents about 50% of the 80% (I think - correct be if this turnout figure is wrong) of Americans who voted.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't like them.

People are allowed irrational prejudices, you know.

ReputationRep:
    OK.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad it's OK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zooropa)
    All American tourists are loud, obnoxious, superficial and brash.
    No, all American tourists THAT YOU NOTICE are those things. Logically, you would notice ones like that to a far larger extent than you would notice American tourists who may be quieter, more reserved and keep more to themselves. Which renders your viewpoint entirely pointless with a huge flaw in the reasoning. Who knows why you have 6 red blocks...

Oh, and my girlfriend is American.

(Original post by Agent Smith)
    it only represents about 50% of the 80% (I think - correct be if this turnout figure is wrong) of Americans who voted.
    You are wrong, Agent Smith
    Turnout in the US is nowhere near the 80% mark. In the 2004 Presidential election it was only around 60% and that was significantly up on the turnout in 2000 which was only around 50%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuvatar)
    Do you?
    No, because you cannot blame a whole nationality for what a small percentage of the nation have done to other countries etc

and usually they are ashamed to even consider what happened, I know my American cousins are, and its 'some what similar' to the whole of Germany getting blamed for everything whilst it was someone in power who ordered people and Germans still today are ashamed over what happened xoxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lone Fox)
    No, all American tourists THAT YOU NOTICE are those things. Logically, you would notice ones like that to a far larger extent than you would notice American tourists who may be quieter, more reserved and keep more to themselves. Which renders your viewpoint entirely pointless with a huge flaw in the reasoning. Who knows why you have 6 red blocks...
    ********. I just don't like Americans.
    Oh, and my girlfriend is American.
    Why should I give a ****?

ReputationRep:
    How? Intuitively? You can't have met them all. And you can't judge just on the example of their government, because with such a tightly-fought election it only represents about 50% of the 80% (I think - correct be if this turnout figure is wrong) of Americans who voted.
    Polls consistently showed Bush in the lead. What makes you think that the 40% who didn't vote didn't support Bush? Just admit that Bush had the support of a majority of the American people instead of playing semantics games. Of course that might lead you to the inevitable conclusion that claiming to hate the American government but not the American people is logically inconsistent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lone Fox)
    You are wrong, Agent Smith
    Turnout in the US is nowhere near the 80% mark. In the 2004 Presidential election it was only around 60% and that was significantly up on the turnout in 2000 which was only around 50%.
    Blimey. I thought the intensity of the contest had pushed the apathy down far more than that. Never mind.
    --------------
    Why would people who supported Bush not vote for him?

That aside, I do concede that he won fairly.

ReputationRep:
    Blimey. I thought the intensity of the contest had pushed the apathy down far more than that. Never mind.
    --------------

Because voting is tallied by state, so if you are a republican living in a solid "blue state," or a democrat living in a solid "red state," you're not going to make much of a difference in the outcome.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't hate Americans as a people, and I even know some people who are nice. I bet most of them are just ordinary people like in any country.

Anyway, I can't hide my unpleasant feelings towards the US leaders and government so I was forced to answer "yes". Sorry mates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    I really don't hate Americans as a people, and I even know some people who are nice. I bet most of them are just ordinary people like in any country.

Anyway, I can't hide my unpleasant feelings towards the US leaders and government so I was forced to answer "yes". Sorry mates.
    So your dislike of the few tarnishes your opinion of the many?

I love the utter lack of reason in this thread.

ReputationRep:

Why would people who oppose Bush not vote against him? Most people just don't care enough about politics to turn out to vote.

As I said, every poll before the election showed Bush with a 5-10% lead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Why would people who oppose Bush not vote against him? Most people just don't care enough about politics to turn out to vote.

As I said, every poll before the election showed Bush with a 5-10% lead.
    By and large, yes. But I would have thought that the tightness of the 2004 election would have made more people care, if only temporarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    So your dislike of the few tarnishes your opinion of the many?
    No, my opinion of your crook politicians (buah) doesn't really change my overall view of Americans. Like I said, my vote was kind of a protest. Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Your country has been stigmatised, I'm afraid. There are lots of foolish and credulous people around there. It's a bit sad actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    No, my opinion of your crook politicians (buah) doesn't really change my overall view of Americans. Like I said, my vote was kind of a protest. Sorry, just couldn't help myself. Your country has been stigmatised, I'm afraid. There are lots of foolish and credulous people around there. It's a bit sad actually.
    There are lots of foolish and credulous people everywhere. Even in Finland.

Edit: It's not much of a protest when 1/3 of the population that agrees with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    What are you protesting against?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    There are lots of foolish and credulous people everywhere. Even in Finland.

Edit: It's not much of a protest when 1/3 of the population that agrees with you.
    Yeah well, Finns are hillbillies, we don't understand anything about anything. Why do you think I'm moving out of here?? :D

Nevertheless, I think there must be a protest if majority still doesn't agree? ;P I think you are taking it a bit too personally. It's not like I was spitting on your face or anything. I just have my twisted opinion on Americans. (But hey, I'm from Finland, what do I know..)
    --------------
    (Original post by Vienna)
    What are you protesting against?
    Stupidity?

ReputationRep:
    By and large, yes. But I would have thought that the tightness of the 2004 election would have made more people care, if only temporarily.
    It did; that's why the turnout increased from 50% to 60%.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.