Do you hate Americans?

Watch
lil groovy dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
no i dont! its not their fault they have bush as president! actually it is, they voted for him! :s: but i dont hate them as many americans dont like bush!
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
Slypie, I'd give you the title of the most anglophobic American on TSR. You'd have to compete with Victoria (psychic_sartori) though.
Greg, we've gone over this before... I'm an anglo-realist. AND, I try to provide a bit of balance to the American side of the forum, which, unsurprisingly, is mostly fawning over Merry Olde.

And I'm a contrarian, so it's my natural tendency to critize the UK on a UK forum.
SlyPie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
AND, I try to provide a bit of balance to the American side of the forum, which, unsurprisingly, is mostly fawning over Merry Olde.
Very true.
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SlyPie)
Thanks. I am now one of the most facetious, one of the most *****y, and most Anglophobic.

Truth be known though, I have spent all of my breaks in the past 3 years in England and my boyfriend is English.

Shock, isn't it?
Well maybe that's why you feel the need to make anglophobic comments. :confused: Ask Victoria why she's so anglophobic.

An English boyfriend? God, you have bad taste.
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Ask Victoria why she's so anglophobic.
Once again, ANGLO-REALIST!
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by psychic_satori)
Once again, ANGLO-REALIST!
An Anglo-Realist or whatever you want to call it, who hasn't even spent one second on British soil... :rolleyes:
psychic_satori
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
An Anglo-Realist or whatever you want to call it, who hasn't even spent one second on British soil... :rolleyes:
Well, that's just because I'm not remotely interested in visiting such a cess pool of rot and decay j/k

I don't really favor the idea of travelling to any country in which ice hockey is not considered to be a major sport. So, you work on that, and then I'll consider it.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
An English boyfriend? God, you have bad taste.
har har I know.

Additionally, my stepfather is Cockney--he was from the ghetto of London, more particularly Walthamstow--, and most of the nasty hospital business I heard from him...
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Kondar)
I dont think that she is talking about the hopsitals so much as she is talking about the sytem. And in the US, the system is beyond broken. There are estimated to be over 50 million Americans who currently have no health insurance.
And yet British healthcare doesn't prevent 2,000 Brits from dying unnecessarily at the hands of their doctors every year.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
And yet British healthcare doesn't prevent 2,000 Brits from dying unnecessarily at the hands of their doctors every year.
Are you asserting that the United States is free from malpractice and physician error?

Just because there wasnt a BBC artile on the subject doesnt mean that similiar mistakes occur in the US.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are you asserting that the United States is free from malpractice and physician error?
No, but the threat of lawsuits has perhaps made our system more efficient and less prone to error.

If the British themselves criticize NHS, why can't Americans?
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thanks. I am now one of the most facetious, one of the most *****y, and most Anglophobic.

Truth be known though, I have spent all of my breaks in the past 3 years in England and my boyfriend is English.
Well then, they should just hand you a degree.

If the scope of your information is limited to 'your friends' sister' and 'some movie star' you read about somewhere then I recommend a library card. It is people like you that feed the image of the ignorant American.

I am not defending the NHS, rather reiterating what should be an obvious fact, that the US health care system is in dire need of reform.
Bismarck
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Just because there wasnt a BBC artile on the subject doesnt mean that similiar mistakes occur in the US.
This many? I doubt it.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
This many? I doubt it.
Maybe not proportionally, but Im sure the numbers are there.
Jianren
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by djchak)
"ENTIRELY unable to do."

Um, if they are unable to afford it, they can get medicaid and not pay a cent...I know of at least 5 people that basically got surgeries for free. Becuase they could not afford to pay for it.

And this is a quite ironic subject, considering the original topic. I would think if a third of this forum voted that they hate americans, then they would WANT them to have dismal healthcare.

If anything id pushing premiums up, it might be that people are basically getting treated "for free", while the rest of the people that pay for insurance pay the remainder...de facto.

If the US tried to institute an NHS, it would have to be one that no one could legally sue. Too many lawsuit crazy cretins.
Speaking on behalf of myself, some of my best friends are Americans and I want them to have the best health care possible.

And no. The main girl who's in debt was stolen from, but not in a way that can be rectified or have charges pressed. She can't declare anything through taxes (long story), she has an issue with being declared as a dependant, and although she's incredibly, incredibly broke, they're refusing to treat her because she has no way to pay. The government won't look closely enough at her situation to provide her with benefits and so on. So she's stuck. She thinks she's bleeding internally, cries to me every day, and because of your 'system', she just has to live with it because she's explored every avenue towards healthcare and come up to a dead end.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well then, they should just hand you a degree.

If the scope of your information is limited to 'your friends' sister' and 'some movie star' you read about somewhere then I recommend a library card. It is people like you that feed the image of the ignorant American.

I am not defending the NHS, rather reiterating what should be an obvious fact, that the US health care system is in dire need of reform.
Actually my "scope" of the information I received derives from primary sources: my British stepfather and my British boyfriend, not something I read out of a magazine.

Thank you for insinuating that I am an "ignorant" American while ignoring the fact that I spend much of my time in the UK and that I associate with British people on a daily basis in real life, given the previous circumstances. You've also ignored the fact that China=/= England as I had stated in another post yet quote me on 2 statements that I have made prior and attempt to perpetuate this argument on those.

So you are stating what, that both the NHS and the US health care system need reform? Or that we should shut up because the US hcs needs reform? Frankly I don't see how the two are intertwined: why can't these two be seen as mutually exclusive and thus the critique of one doesn't affect the other?

The US health care system is privatized and that should allow for it to be more progressed. However lawsuits--which ultimately have increased doctors' insurance fees and thus costs for care --have somewhat ruined the system by discouraging students from becoming doctors and by increasing costs for the patients. At the same time though, these lawsuits have called for better healthcare and better, more careful doctors that are more observant than say a system that goes unnoticed.

So which is better?

One is privatized; the other isn't. NHS is putting the British government into more debt and can't be funded for a long period of time. The US health care system--which is privatized--has its own problems.

What's your point exactly? That we can't criticize NHS simply because the US health care system needs reforms?

The quality of healthcare itself is indubitably better in the US because of this privatization. People,after all, get what they pay for.
RieLouise
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Actually my "scope" of the information I received derives from primary sources: my British stepfather and my British boyfriend, not something I read out of a magazine.

Thank you for insinuating that I am an "ignorant" American while ignoring the fact that I spend much of my time in the UK and that I associate with British people on a daily basis in real life, given the previous circumstances. You've also ignored the fact that China=/= England as I had stated in another post yet quote me on 2 statements that I have made prior and attempt to perpetuate this argument on those.

So you are stating what, that both the NHS and the US health care system need reform? Or that we should shut up because the US hcs needs reform? Frankly I don't see how the two are intertwined: why can't these two be seen as mutually exclusive and thus the critique of one doesn't affect the other?

The US health care system is privatized and that should allow for it to be more progressed. However lawsuits--which ultimately have increased doctors' insurance fees and thus costs for care --have somewhat ruined the system by discouraging students from becoming doctors and by increasing costs for the patients. At the same time though, these lawsuits have called for better healthcare and better, more careful doctors that are more observant than say a system that goes unnoticed.

So which is better?

One is privatized; the other isn't. NHS is putting the British government into more debt and can't be funded for a long period of time. The US health care system--which is privatized--has its own problems.

What's your point exactly? That we can't criticize NHS simply because the US health care system needs reforms?

The quality of healthcare itself is indubitably better in the US because of this privatization. People,after all, get what they pay for.
Interesting. I know an academic couple who left their (grown up) child who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia in the UK because they felt she'd get better care here. Anecdotes, anecdotes and more anecdotes.
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by BellaCat)
Interesting. I know an academic couple who left their (grown up) child who suffers from paranoid schizophrenia in the UK because they felt she'd get better care here. Anecdotes, anecdotes and more anecdotes.
Well the remainder of my post deals with private versus public health care, and thus the institutions themselves, rather than merely anecdotes.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
You've also ignored the fact that China=/= England
Are you trying to assert that you are a knowledgeable source regarding the NHS or simply, more knowledgeable than myself? How would spending a year in China discount me from commenting? I too, have spent a decent amount of time in the UK. Get over it.

As for the latter comment: my friend's sister gave birth in Winchester hospital and she said that they left her right afterwards covered in blood and told her to get up and clean her own baby. They also didn't bother cleaning up the baby either.

Lovely NHS.

Oh and I heard that some celebrities went in for treatment for minor illnesses and then died after contracting more severe diseases in the hospitals.
Let's just say I'd wait the 5 hours to fly back to America to go to a hospital rather than risk my life in one of those eh.

Maybe I'd be safer injecting myself with used needles from heroine addicts than getting injections from those hospitals eh.
This is garbage
The US health care system is privatized and that should allow for it to be more progressed. However lawsuits--which ultimately have increased doctors' insurance fees and thus costs for care --have somewhat ruined the system by discouraging students from becoming doctors
BS, is that why med school applications have continually increased over the past few years?
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporte...edicalapps.htm
and by increasing costs for the patients. At the same time though, these lawsuits have called for better healthcare and better, more careful doctors that are more observant than say a system that goes unnoticed.

This is actually informative
SlyPie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Are you trying to assert that you are a knowledgeable source regarding the NHS or simply, more knowledgeable than myself? How would spending a year in China discount me from commenting? I too, have spent a decent amount of time in the UK. Get over it.
How much time exactly? Get over what exactly?
(Original post by kondar)
BS, is that why med school applications have continually increased over the past few years?
The article states it has declined in the past 6 years prior to 03 and has only increased that year. What about the information after dec03? At least read the site if you are going to post it.
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporte...edicalapps.htm
(Original post by kondar)
This is actually informative
Cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads