Turn on thread page Beta

Do you hate Americans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Youve heard one story, no service is perfect, there are thousands of procedures carried out each day nationwide that go off without a hitch, the person lives and is very thankful to be alive (And they're not broke). The two system cannot be compared anyway, The NHS is not a business, it treats everyone equally, even the bloke that has lived in the gutter half of his life is still entitled to health care as a British citizen. And I find that fact very comforting, that if I ever got into dire straits, I wouldnt be left out in the cold.

ReputationRep:
    Shows what you know about the demographic differences of NY and LA. LA is largely Hispanic, and you'll find a HUGE number of Spanish-language entertainment that you only find to a much lesser extent in NY. Oh, and fast-food chains are not all national. For instance, they have In-n-Out Burger on the west coast, but there aren't any in the east. The pace of life is entirely different. Different accents. Different style of dress. Different weather. Oh, and you can't get a decent bagel in LA to save your life.
    Fair enough. But you really can't compare US cities to European Countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlyPie)
    Well, you should take it not as a complement, but as a compliment eh.

As for the latter comment: my friend's sister gave birth in Winchester hospital and she said that they left her right afterwards covered in blood and told her to get up and clean her own baby. They also didn't bother cleaning up the baby either.

Lovely NHS.

Oh and I heard that some celebrities went in for treatment for minor illnesses and then died after contracting more severe diseases in the hospitals.
    Let's just say I'd wait the 5 hours to fly back to America to go to a hospital rather than risk my life in one of those eh.

Maybe I'd be safer injecting myself with used needles from heroine addicts than getting injections from those hospitals eh.
    Wow Slypie, sounds like your grasp of foreign medical care is both extensive and thorough.

Are you twelve years old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Fair enough. But you really can't compare US cities to European Countries
    But the point is that they're entirely different cities. It's not as if LA is New York-West. That's the way the entire country is with geographic differences. It's always the people who have never been to America, or have been on one or two tourism excursions to Orlando or New York, who try to claim that America is homogenous throughout.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    But the point is that they're entirely different cities. It's not as if LA is New York-West. That's the way the entire country is with geographic differences. It's always the people who have never been to America, or have been to one or two tourism excursions to Orlando or New York, who try to claim that America is homogenous throughout.
    Yeah go Victoria!...

Actually I'm not even following this debate but I know what you mean. Almost all the Brits I know who have been to the US have only been to Florida and seem to think that they can talk about the US :rolleyes: (well I guess they have more to say than those kids who believes that life in teen series from the WB is so great so that must been that life in the US is great :rolleyes: ).

It's like someone from Britain or German saying they know something about Spanish culture because they went to Ibiza or the Costa Del Sol. Tourist places are tourist places. They're always different from the rest of the country.

I've just seen the difference between Washington, New York and New England and the differences are phenomenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    Wow Slypie, sounds like your grasp of foreign medical care is both extensive and thorough.

Are you twelve years old?
    Since you are obviously incapable of reading my age despite your vast wisdom and such developed maturity, I won't bother answering your question.

My grasp of the English medical system is probably better than yours since I have actually spent some time there.

China=/= England, now is it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, you should take it not as a complement, but as a compliment eh.

As for the latter comment: my friend's sister gave birth in Winchester hospital and she said that they left her right afterwards covered in blood and told her to get up and clean her own baby. They also didn't bother cleaning up the baby either.

Lovely NHS.

Oh and I heard that some celebrities went in for treatment for minor illnesses and then died after contracting more severe diseases in the hospitals.
    Let's just say I'd wait the 5 hours to fly back to America to go to a hospital rather than risk my life in one of those eh.

Maybe I'd be safer injecting myself with used needles from heroine addicts than getting injections from those hospitals eh.
    Slypie, I'd give you the title of the most anglophobic American on TSR. You'd have to compete with Victoria (psychic_sartori) though.

People, like you, full of prejudice, will always focus on what they want and will hear what they want. Even if those stories (which sound more like rumours) were true, they're just incidents. If you wanted to demonise the health system of the US, it wouldn't be hard to find a few stories to make it look absolutely awful too.

I've seen people come to the UK with all kinds of prejudiced ideas (I'm even surprised that some of these people come to the UK if they hate Brits so much). Well it takes a long time for people to get rid of their prejudice. Say, they have that typical idea that "English girls are ugly". You can show them total stunners, but it'll still be hard to convince them because they'll want to focus on the less attractive ones to prove their point.

At the end of the day, people believe what they want to when it comes to whether a country is great or not, it really has very little to do with the reality of things.

It's only when you visit a country with an open-mind that you can end up knowing it and loving it. If you want to hate a country, you always will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Slypie, I'd give you the title of the most anglophobic American on TSR. You'd have to compete with Victoria (psychic_sartori) though.

Thanks. I am now one of the most facetious, one of the most *****y, and most Anglophobic.

Truth be known though, I have spent all of my breaks in the past 3 years in England and my boyfriend is English.

Shock, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    no i dont! its not their fault they have bush as president! actually it is, they voted for him! :s: but i dont hate them as many americans dont like bush!

ReputationRep:
    Greg, we've gone over this before... I'm an anglo-realist. AND, I try to provide a bit of balance to the American side of the forum, which, unsurprisingly, is mostly fawning over Merry Olde.

And I'm a contrarian, so it's my natural tendency to critize the UK on a UK forum.

ReputationRep:
    AND, I try to provide a bit of balance to the American side of the forum, which, unsurprisingly, is mostly fawning over Merry Olde.
    Very true.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I am now one of the most facetious, one of the most *****y, and most Anglophobic.

Truth be known though, I have spent all of my breaks in the past 3 years in England and my boyfriend is English.

Shock, isn't it?
    Well maybe that's why you feel the need to make anglophobic comments. :confused: Ask Victoria why she's so anglophobic.

An English boyfriend? God, you have bad taste.

ReputationRep:
    Ask Victoria why she's so anglophobic.
    Once again, ANGLO-REALIST!

ReputationRep:
    Once again, ANGLO-REALIST!
    An Anglo-Realist or whatever you want to call it, who hasn't even spent one second on British soil... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    An Anglo-Realist or whatever you want to call it, who hasn't even spent one second on British soil... :rolleyes:
    Well, that's just because I'm not remotely interested in visiting such a cess pool of rot and decay j/k

I don't really favor the idea of travelling to any country in which ice hockey is not considered to be a major sport. So, you work on that, and then I'll consider it.

ReputationRep:
    An English boyfriend? God, you have bad taste.
    har har I know.

Additionally, my stepfather is Cockney--he was from the ghetto of London, more particularly Walthamstow--, and most of the nasty hospital business I heard from him...

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that she is talking about the hopsitals so much as she is talking about the sytem. And in the US, the system is beyond broken. There are estimated to be over 50 million Americans who currently have no health insurance.
    And yet British healthcare doesn't prevent 2,000 Brits from dying unnecessarily at the hands of their doctors every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    And yet British healthcare doesn't prevent 2,000 Brits from dying unnecessarily at the hands of their doctors every year.
    Are you asserting that the United States is free from malpractice and physician error?

Just because there wasnt a BBC artile on the subject doesnt mean that similiar mistakes occur in the US.

ReputationRep:
    Are you asserting that the United States is free from malpractice and physician error?
    No, but the threat of lawsuits has perhaps made our system more efficient and less prone to error.

If the British themselves criticize NHS, why can't Americans?

ReputationRep:

Well then, they should just hand you a degree.

If the scope of your information is limited to 'your friends' sister' and 'some movie star' you read about somewhere then I recommend a library card. It is people like you that feed the image of the ignorant American.

I am not defending the NHS, rather reiterating what should be an obvious fact, that the US health care system is in dire need of reform.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.