Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    whats wrong with americans?! any american ive met has been just like anyone i know in the uk...they just said "y'all" which was much more cool than wen we say "you all".

(Original post by icklehc)
    whats wrong with americans?! any american ive met has been just like anyone i know in the uk...they just said "y'all" which was much more cool than wen we say "you all".
    I like it when the Brits say ...."spot on ol' chap", OR, "I fancy that bloke".....or..."my flat mate", I always visualize a person who's been run over by a steam roller....my *flat* mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    I like it when the Brits say ...."spot on ol' chap", OR, "I fancy that bloke".....or..."my flat mate", I always visualize a person who's been run over by a steam roller....my *flat* mate.
    Ironic that, since flat came into use over here from the US, old English it was referred to as "dwellings".

ReputationRep:
    I support the US's system of health service, where i would pay my rate of insurance and don't have to pay for others who decide to mistreat their bodys through smoking and being a lardarse. I like the idea of a system where the unemployed arn't supported because they quite simply don't deserve to be, unlike here where hard working citzens like my parents get the privelage of paying for somebody to live who isn't going to benifit anybody through living an extra year. I support anything that means that deserving people get better health care and people like gypsies get sod all.

I will admit to being a bit of a Bush hater, just because of his pure spokesman ship, everybody goes on about how much they hate him because he started the war and things like this but at the end of the day he is just a front man for his party and wouldn't be able to start a war on his own now would he?

As far as Americans go as people i would say theres nothing wrong with them apart from their strange interpretations of a language we invented lol.

(Original post by Elipsis)
    As far as Americans go as people i would say theres nothing wrong with them apart from their strange interpretations of a language we invented lol.
    Wait a second, we learned our English from your great, great, great, great Grandfather and Grandmother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Wait a second, we learned our English from your great, great, great, great Grandfather and Grandmother.
    His comment is especially amusing considering that America and Britain have altered the English language about equally since our separation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    His comment is especially amusing considering that America and Britain have altered the English language about equally since our separation.
    Never really thought of it like that, but yeah

By the way, did anyone see the George Carlin special on HBO this weekend? He really trashed America in some ways I haven't heard before. Very thought provoking.

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    Yer right Satori, I've been on this forum long enough to see substantial "English" abuse by the Limey's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I support the US's system of health service, where i would pay my rate of insurance and don't have to pay for others who decide to mistreat their bodys through smoking and being a lardarse. I like the idea of a system where the unemployed arn't supported because they quite simply don't deserve to be, unlike here where hard working citzens like my parents get the privelage of paying for somebody to live who isn't going to benifit anybody through living an extra year. I support anything that means that deserving people get better health care and people like gypsies get sod all.
    Elipsis, after reading your post, something occurred to me that I hadn't thought of before. I have a friend that lost his job and he is dying to go back to work to get a better health insurance plan than the one he has.

Maybe one of the reasons the US has relatively high productivity and less than five percent unemployment is that people don't want to deal with private insurance or our publicly funded healthcare options.

Europeans often criticise the US because our government doesn't offer as many safety nets, but the advantage of our system is that people want to stay unemployed for the shortest amount of time possible.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE= but the advantage of our system is that people want to stay unemployed for the shortest amount of time possible.[/QUOTE]

Well, the disadvantage could be that people who have chronic conditions might not get hired as much, becuase thier healthcare costs more...but to be honest I don't know if that's the case. If anyone could tell us some facts then we would know...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=djchak][QUOTE= but the advantage of our system is that people want to stay unemployed for the shortest amount of time possible.Well, the disadvantage could be that people who have chronic conditions might not get hired as much, becuase thier healthcare costs more...but to be honest I don't know if that's the case. If anyone could tell us some facts then we would know...[/QUOTE]As a cancer survivor, I have been repeatedly warned to omit my medical history prior to obtaining a job.

ReputationRep:
    you have an etnire thread dedicated to ahting americans!?! what sort of a person would even vote yes!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    As a cancer survivor, I have been repeatedly warned to omit my medical history prior to obtaining a job.
    so wait a minute...you can omit it, basically de facto getting around the problem...so it's only if you are unemployed that you have to "admit" it....?
    That's a strange turn, giving sredence to the "keep unemployment low" argument.

Navindu, as you can see, over 31 percent voted that they hate americans (and not the "american government" , which I could understand) :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    so wait a minute...you can omit it, basically de facto getting around the problem...so it's only if you are unemployed that you have to "admit" it....?

Navindu, as you can see, over 31 percent voted that they hate americans (and not the "american government" , which I could understand) :confused:
    Its not something I would bring up during a job interview. Later, after I am offered the position I will obviously infrom the health insurance company.

Basically, I bring it up after I have the job and the insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Well, fair enough...

Oh, glad to see your old icon (avatar) Dexter has returned.

ReputationRep:
    As a cancer survivor, I have been repeatedly warned to omit my medical history prior to obtaining a job.
    Ditto for me. I don't mention my crohn's disease, seizures, or back surgery. I'm a mess.

Maybe I wouldn't be discriminated against if my employers knew, but why take the chance?

--------------

(Original post by djchak)

Isn't hating the government really the same thing as hating americans?

How can you hate our politicians without hating the people that put them in power?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Ditto for me. I don't mention my crohn's disease, seizures, or back surgery. I'm a mess.

Maybe I wouldn't be discriminated against if my employers knew, but why take the chance?
    I hear that.

How can you hate our politicians without hating the people that put them in power?
    Not at all. Look at China, I hate the government but not the people. I hate Pat Robertson and his nazi henchmen, but I dont hate all the people that live on my island that watch his garbage tele programme.

ReputationRep:
    I hear that.Not at all. Look at China, I hate the government but not the people. I hate Pat Robertson and his nazi henchmen, but I dont hate all the people that live on my island that watch his garbage tele programme.
    Ditto for Burma. Love the peeps, hate the dicts.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Look at China, I hate the government but not the people. I hate Pat Robertson and his nazi henchmen, but I dont hate all the people that live on my island that watch his garbage tele programme.
    The US is a democracy, China isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)

when it comes to politicians you can rely on people to be easily duped. pity them for it, don't hate them for it :p:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.