Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Whoa, have you not realized that politicians are about the last people Americans look to as a moral compass?! Our country exists because our ancestors didn't want to pay taxes! Politicians aren't expected to be good people; they're just expected to work very hard pretending to be good people.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Hey Satori, what's goin' on?
    All I said was...........the Limeys say..........is it not a good day
    the Yanks say.................It is a good day.
    Shoot! I'm exceedingly negative. Well, now I've got to go kill myself for being a cursed traitor. :p:

(Original post by psychic_satori)
    Shoot! I'm exceedingly negative. Well, now I've got to go kill myself for being a cursed traitor. :p:
    Blimey mate, don't go killing yerself, I wouldn't fancy that at all.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, hmm. seems i've misinterpreted your statement doug. here's a cookie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Oh, hmm. seems i've misinterpreted your statement doug. here's a cookie.
    Well, they do come off as negative, but most Europeans come off as negative, in comparison to Americans, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Blimey mate, don't go killing yerself, I wouldn't fancy that at all.
    hehe :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    i couldnt rly b bothered reading the start of this thread but i dont get why anyone would hate americans in general.

ReputationRep:
    I've not yet met an American that I haven't liked, the leaders of America, on the other hand, have a great deal to answer for.

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate americans, why would I, they havent done anything to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuvatar)
    Do you?
    no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milbrodt)
    The Americans are not bad people. If you are unhappy the way they dominate the world then you should take a moment to realise that G.W.Bush has taken control as it has lead to more stability in the Western world. Its these extremists that are jealous that its the west and not the east that has the mojority of the power. If you take a look at this matter on a local scale you will see the brighter side. A small city is run by someone who has many other representatives in the area helping them out (under them). The world is a hierachy or power and that is the only way in which democracy can work.
    eejit

ReputationRep:
    I knew it was just a matter of time before this thread came back from the dead. I've noticed that there are less anti-american threads as of late. This thread used to grow very quickly but I think western Europe hates us a lot less than they used to. I can only think of a few reasons why:

1) Radical Islam has distracted for the time being (the cartoons, the french riots, etc)

2) After the elections western Europe was too frustrated to even care anymore.

3) Anti-Americanism has fallen out of fashion

4) Americans like Britain, so it's hard to hate someone that's always kissing your ass.

5) People feel sorry for us because an area the size of England was completely leveled by a very powerful hurricane

Any other ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I like Americans a lot, and their culture too. However, I dislike their egotistical view on the rest of the world and how they feel they are superior to Europeans. Yet, a large marjority still thinks the US is the largest nation on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I knew it was just a matter of time before this thread came back from the dead. I've noticed that there are less anti-american threads as of late. This thread used to grow very quickly but I think western Europe hates us a lot less than they used to. I can only think of a few reasons why:

1) Radical Islam has distracted for the time being (the cartoons, the french riots, etc)

2) After the elections western Europe was too frustrated to even care anymore.

3) Anti-Americanism has fallen out of fashion

4) Americans like Britain, so it's hard to hate someone that's always kissing your ass.

5) People feel sorry for us because an area the size of England was completely leveled by a very powerful hurricane

Any other ideas?
    i didnt really hate america ever

who could hate a country that produces such fine tv as lost and scrubs? (check the sig lol)

i dont really agree with alot of your political stance atm but that doesnt really mean the same thing as hating america does it?

certainly i draw a huge line between america and americains. because i know a large proportion of you are just as dis-satisfied with the way things are going in the world as non americans are.

i hate this idea that some people think all americans are blindly patriotic and think america owns the world

ReputationRep:
    I really do detest the thread of this.

I don't hate America personally. I've never gone there myself, but i'm a big fan of the humour that they come up/out with...good film, tv series, comedy etc...I'm not a fan of George Bush, so thats as far as my 'anti-americanism' goes - just to the confines of the administration in the USA. The five americans i've only ever spoken with, socialized with, have been very cool, funny, lively people, so i have absolutely no objections to the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    i didnt really hate america ever

who could hate a country that produces such fine tv as lost and scrubs?
    I've never seen scubs, but Lost is pretty amazing isn't it? I just got into the show in January and bought the entire first season to catch up. I'm watching the first season again for the second time and am amazed by how many "clues" I missed the first time through.

(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I really do detest the thread of this.

I don't hate America personally. I've never gone there myself, but i'm a big fan of the humour that they come up/out with...good film, tv series, comedy etc...
    Doesn't the fact that you can enjoy our humor show that we aren't really that different at the end of the day? it's more than just that you understand the language - watch most films from other countries dubbed in English and they are still about as entertaining as watching paint dry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)

Doesn't the fact that you can enjoy our humor show that we aren't really that different at the end of the day? it's more than just that you understand the language - watch most films from other countries dubbed in English and they are still about as entertaining as watching paint dry.
    I don't know. Depends on the person, but I find most American programs quite hard to relate to. And some French films are good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WokSz)
    how they feel they are superior to Europeans.
    ... how you can even say that when it's far more arguable that the average Brit today thinks that the average American is fat, lazy and stupid is beyond me. Europeans look down on Americans, not the other way around, a lot of Americans bemoan the lack of "history" and "culture" in their own country and love the fact that Europe has it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuvatar)
    Do you?
    Urr no? ^o)

ReputationRep:
    I just got back from New York, and although they were reasonable, most were crazy.
    Especially the teenagers.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.