Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Also, you have to note the regional variation and sheer size of the USA.
    In the UK we live in this pokey little country that you can get from one end to the other in pretty much a matter of hours, hopping to other countries seems usual.
    In the US they have a huge country and 50 different States, if you want a holiday and a new experience, you can get that in the US without leaving the country because there's such diversity. You can also get thousands of miles from "home" and still be in the US and have everything from a great beach holiday (Florida, Cali) to a skiing holiday (Rockies) or just about anything else without leaving the country. In this country if we want beaches or skiing, we head to the Continent, it's just not necessary for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I think most of your fellow country men would disagree. How else could you explain the insatiable appetite for our entertainment?
    They probably would, just a personal thing......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    They probably would, just a personal thing......
    Your TV works for us, but maybe only because we remake them to suit us. Who wants to be a millionaire, the weakest link, Big Brother, Survivor, and Pop idol were all British shows. I don't think anyone watched Big Brother, but American Idol is currently the biggest show on television. The only show that beats AI in ratings is the Super Bowl.

One show we're currently working on remaking is Top Gear, per the finalgear.com website. I'm already cringing at the thought of this. The hosts are what makes the show and I've never heard of any of these Americans:

"Bruno, a professional drag racer with casual tales of crashing at 230mph. John, the super keen jock, blessed with quaint ’sir and m’am’ good manners that only Americans can do. And, Johnny, a former reality show winner with a nice line in wierd humor."

"Fortunately some reference points remained, including Star In A Reasonably Priced Car. But, to set the power laps, there could be no substitue - the Stig was flown to the US and stunned everyone with his blistering pace as he hammered the CLS55, Charger, and Mustang round the circuit."
    I wish they could just bring it over as is. We know you call the windsheild a windscreen, a trunk is a boot, a hood is a bonnet, and a sedan is a saloon. I'm not sure how Americans would cope with being insulted throughout the program or the fact-checking problems though. Every show has at least one mistake resulting from poor fact checking, but that's understandable because poor fact checking is the hallmark of anything the BBC touches.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Made in the USA]Your TV works for us, but maybe only because we remake them to suit us. Who wants to be a millionaire, the weakest link, Big Brother, Survivor, and Pop idol were all British shows. I don't think anyone watched Big Brother, but American Idol is currently the biggest show on television. The only show that beats AI in ratings is the Super Bowl.

One show we're currently working on remaking is Top Gear, per the finalgear.com website. I'm already cringing at the thought of this. The hosts are what makes the show and I've never heard of any of these Americans:
    [QUOTE]

Did you ever see 'Fitz' , the US remake of 'Cracker'?

I think some have to be remade because of accents and expressions, cultural references etc. But we take them in US films, much more interesting than watching a rehashed version IMO. Apart from in the case of the kind of game shows you mention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)

I wish they could just bring it over as is. We know you call the windsheild a windscreen, a trunk is a boot, a hood is a bonnet, and a sedan is a saloon. I'm not sure how Americans would cope with being insulted throughout the program or the fact-checking problems though. Every show has at least one mistake resulting from poor fact checking, but that's understandable because poor fact checking is the hallmark of anything the BBC touches.
    Do many people in the US watch BBC America?

ReputationRep:
    America-The land of extremities.

ReputationRep:
    No. I don't think it's part of basic cable, even. And, most of the programs are tirelessly repeated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    Also, you have to note the regional variation and sheer size of the USA.
    In the UK we live in this pokey little country that you can get from one end to the other in pretty much a matter of hours, hopping to other countries seems usual.
    In the US they have a huge country and 50 different States, if you want a holiday and a new experience, you can get that in the US without leaving the country because there's such diversity. You can also get thousands of miles from "home" and still be in the US and have everything from a great beach holiday (Florida, Cali) to a skiing holiday (Rockies) or just about anything else without leaving the country. In this country if we want beaches or skiing, we head to the Continent, it's just not necessary for them.
    Just to add to that, only slightly more Canadians (as percentage of the population) have passports than Americans, and yet I never see the Canucks being called ignorant because of that.

ReputationRep:
    grr i hate it when people discuss a whole nation as if everyone in it are all the same. If its about specific Americans, well i think Jake Gylenhaal is hard to take a disliking too lol.
    i just think you cant box a whole nation up and judge them in that way cos your only judging them only stereotypes formed from the media, I bet some people say "yeah I hate americans" without even knowing a single one! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've got hundeds of stations and I know I have it, just am not sure what station number it is on. When I'm channel surfing I sometime find it and watch for a few minutes before changing the channel. The format is quite dull and I tire of the endless barrage of global warming stories. It's amazing how the media can shape public opinion. After a steady diet of global warming hysteria, no wonder all you Euros think the earth is going to explode in a giant fireball any second now.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could also argue that the US media have in a way shaped your opinion thinking that its not a big issue

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever see 'Fitz' , the US remake of 'Cracker'?
    I think that show ran for about a year and was cancelled. I never saw it, but heard that the US version was unwatchable.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...The UK version was classic. The adaptation I thought was bad, but thought I may've been biased.....

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...The UK version was classic. The adaptation I didn't think was great, but thought I may've been biased.....
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118290/...mments?start=0

Most of the comments are from people living in the USA and the consensus seems to be that it's one of the worst shows to ever grace the small screen.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, pretty much unanimous

ReputationRep:
    I would rather eat a baby then be American or speak to an Full breed American however the Mixed breeds ok normally if you get an Amercian/Labrador there normally smarter than the average full breed human version p.s proof of Obama= Partly from Keyna Arnie= Germany/Superhuman they dont even trust themselves to run their own country

ReputationRep:
    how could I hate Americans, arnold schwarzenegger is one.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the comments on this thread (Ok I have read 2 pages out of 162, but that's enough for me) have cracked me up, keep up the good work guys. It's a fantastic country with some fantastic people. Some of them are ignorant but in a country the size of that it is to be expected. But asking if you hate americans is like asking if you hate muslims. Some are *******, but the majority are reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    Why revive the thread people?

ReputationRep:
    We are Gods.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.