Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    Isn't it common knowledge that politicians are corrupt though? I could've sworn that it was.
    The responsibility for their election to power remains with the populace(im assuming were still talking about democracies here).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    The responsibility for their election to power remains with the populace(im assuming were still talking about democracies here).
    But what if they put on a facade up until they are elected? They act perfect.. heh.. not a possibility.. but perfect none-the-less.. and when they are elected they become gruesom despots? Is it seriously the job of the average.. highschool diploma-level american to weed out the ********s from the.. lol.. angels?

ReputationRep:
    Is it seriously the job of the average.. highschool diploma-level american to weed out the ********s from the.. lol.. angels?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    I don't believe it should be. It is.. I agree.. but why should stupid people be held responsible to decide the fate of their fellow countrymen. There are a select few smart people.. leave it up to them. Gov't is screwed up enough... why let stupid people run it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe it should be. It is.. I agree.. but why should stupid people be held responsible to decide the fate of their fellow countrymen. There are a select few smart people.. leave it up to them. Gov't is screwed up enough... why let stupid people run it?
    That's democracy for you...

In the wise words of some character in "Spiderman": 'With great power comes great responsibility'.

Power to the people means that the average American is responsible for what America does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizero)

In the wise words of some character in "Spiderman": 'With great power comes great responsibility'.

Power to the people means that the average American is responsible for what America does.
    And unfortunately the average american is stupid!
    Hey zizy.. lmao.. how you been? lol.

ReputationRep:
    And unfortunately the average american is stupid!
    Hey zizy.. lmao.. how you been? lol.

Yeah I'm alright. I've been away for a while. Exams being over I went on holiday and I spent less and less time online...

BTW, do you know what "zizi" means in French?

ReputationRep:

haha.

ReputationRep:
    lol... nuking england.. lmao.. thats funny. But yeah, Bush keeps his political debating to the facts, while Kerry attacks Bush personally. Calling him a turn-coat and whatnot.. Its pathetic when someone has to resort to name-calling to win a election.
    Are you kidding? Bush has done just as much, if not more attacking then Kerry! Kerry and Edwards all the way

ReputationRep:

Yeah I'm alright. I've been away for a while. Exams being over I went on holiday and I spent less and less time online...

Nope, never took french, I took spanish, german, and italian. Yeah.. I had some major exams.. state-wide.. *rolls eyes* yuck! And had alot of my local exams.. so I hadn't been on here for over a month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Are you kidding? Bush has done just as much, if not more attacking then Kerry! Kerry and Edwards all the way
    MUAH HA HA HA HA... I think you're nuts! lol.. Bush is a better president than clinton.. who had the need to lie to everyone. And he is a better president than Kerry would ever be. Kerry's just a redneck hick.. I know bush is too.. but he's still by FAR a better person.

ReputationRep:
    My American friend in NY said along the lines that USA hasn't had a great president for some time. Make what you will of that comment.

ReputationRep:
    MUAH HA HA HA HA... I think you're nuts! lol.. Bush is a better president than clinton..
    Definately one of the most amusing things ive ever read on D&D.

Kerry's just a redneck hick.. I know bush is too.. but he's still by FAR a better person.
    Nonsense, from what proof we have of character Bush is a coward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    My American friend in NY said along the lines that USA hasn't had a great president for some time. Make what you will of that comment.
    True. I'd say since Reagan.

It is quite worrying actually.

The worst thing is that it doesn't look as though a potentially "great" president is coming up.

To me, neither Bush nor Kerry look likely to fall into that category.

Another thing: Suppose Bush wins the election. Then, it is very likely that Hillary Clinton will go for the presidency in 2008. After 8 years of conservatism, it is likely that the Americans will want change. So Clinton would have a good chance.

Now, suppose she wins as well. Then, for 24 (perhaps even 28) years America will have had presidents coming exclusively from the same two families.

I know this is just speculation, but it is a likely scenario. And it would be deeply unhealthy as the US would slowly slip into some kind of oligarchy.

ReputationRep:
    Then again, it's also possible that Britain may never have a great PM for some time either.

ReputationRep:
    I think its fairly justifiable to judge a nation by the actions of its politicians (in the case of a democracy at least) as these representitives are put forward by the general populace after all,though perhaps America (at least from 2000-2004) could be an exception as the politicians were put forward by the electoral college/supreme court rather than the general populace.
    It is highly irrational to judge a populace by politicians. It is common knowledge that all polliticians care about is increasing political power, wealth, and getting re-elected. The politicians are normally from the upper class, even in a democracy, if it wasn't so early in the morning, I would take the time to look up a quote from a philosopher about how the classes can't be judged by the actions of another class but why have someone else say it when I can say it myself?

ReputationRep:

That was a quote from Roosevelt.

ReputationRep:
    MUAH HA HA HA HA... I think you're nuts! lol.. Bush is a better president than clinton.. who had the need to lie to everyone. And he is a better president than Kerry would ever be. Kerry's just a redneck hick.. I know bush is too.. but he's still by FAR a better person.
    I hate how bad a name clinton has given arkansans. Who could possibly be bothered to read his book? He is still messing up the country. As a former president he is entitled to office space, so he gets an office in a skyscraper in new york that costs $200,000 a month.

I would hate to see the country run by Mr. Ketchup. Then, all of the schools would be sued for serving catsup.

ReputationRep:
    Definately one of the most amusing things ive ever read on D&D.
    I believe he is better than kerry would ever be.

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)

I agree.. we haven't had a trully GREAT president for some time. But in reality.. Bush is much better than clinton, and Kerry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I hate how bad a name clinton has given arkansans. Who could possibly be bothered to read his book? He is still messing up the country. As a former president he is entitled to office space, so he gets an office in a skyscraper in new york that costs $200,000 a month.

I would hate to see the country run by Mr. Ketchup. Then, all of the schools would be sued for serving catsup.
    lmao, seriously.. not to mention the fact that retired presidents get HOW much money as compensation after they are out of office? I mean.. wow.. its like.. $500,000 a year... or somewhere in that ball-park.. and what do the lazy-asses do? Sit on just that.. and do absolutely nothing.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.