The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you hate Americans?

Scroll to see replies

an Siarach
It is a disturbingly large number...one hopes they were actually thinking of American Policy or something like that rather than the American people when they voted yes.

Its sad really, its not a possibility for them to know every single american on the continent. SO they are generalizing. I am an american, and I take the side of the British on alot of issues, some more strongly than others. I consider myself to be one of the good americans, I mean, sure I backed our military when they went into iraq, but I believe that its old news, and we should've been out of there a long time ago. Also.. when you generalize that you hate so many people, sure there are some bad, but there are some good, and because you've generalized your prejudice has and will prevent you from getting to know the better people.
Wise One
I hate Americans in principle because they are more powerful than us British. Also I am a bit wary of the evangelical Christianity, gun-totingness, and anywhere that curbs civil rights in the name of 'freedom' can't be good. More specifically, I hate American tourists, George Bush, American 'culture' and American multi-national coorperations.

Heh, that is the most ignorant reason that I've ever heard. How stupid is it to say you hate someone because they are more powerful than you are. And most of the time its not even true. We are as powerful as we are because we are united, we have a GOOD, STRONG sense of patriotism, and you know, if you scrutinized us closer.. you'd see that we are equal.. as it is said in the bible, and none of us are stronger than the other. As for American tourists.. we get them here too.. I am an american and I hate tourists from other states because they block trafic, are extremely loud, and liter a great deal. Oh.. and what about Canadian Tourists in america? heh, they come here to SHOP. And instead of paying the tolls when they cross the border with bags full of clothing, they change into their new clothes IN THE STORE PARKING LOTS! Put their old clothes in the bags AND LEAVE THEM IN THE PARKING LOTS!!! I know, I've witnessed this on many many many occasions.
Reply 842
drago di giada
.And most of the time its not even true. We are as powerful as we are because we are united, we have a GOOD, STRONG sense of patriotism, and you know, if you scrutinized us closer.. you'd see that we are equal.. as it is said in the bible, and none of us are stronger than the other.

Personally I don't like the fact that America is very patriotic which is fine because I don't live there. However I do remeber reading a lot of sites after 9/11 which basically stated that everyone who didn't agree with Bush and his actions was unpatriotic and I don't think that is fair. Patriotism is fine as long as it doens't blind you to some of the problems that are in your country (no specifically you just generally a person). I am not sure what you mean about the equality, if you mean in the eyes of the law or in economic terms or what?
It's just jeleousy of the good aspects and disdain of the bad aspects as far as I am concerned. Shallow? Maybe. Honest? Yes.
Reply 844
drago di giada
I dk if this question has been asked yet but I'm asking anyways..
Those of you who answered "yes" to this poll, would you care to explain WHY you answered thus?

coz Americans are stuck up dweebs kinda like you!!
Reply 845
ColdFire
coz Americans are stuck up dweebs kinda like you!!

Its nice you can generalize 280 million people with one post.
Reply 846
Made in the USA
I can't think of one single American that would have voted yes on the "Do you hate Britons?" poll. The feelings are definitely not mutual.

Thank you for pointing this out, i noticed as well. To the post below yours, yes i have irish blood but if i hated you all i still would have voted yes.
PadFoot90
yes i have irish blood

Would having Irish blood have any influencing over your decisions such as hating Britons and others alike?
Reply 848
PadFoot90
Thank you for pointing this out, i noticed as well. To the post below yours, yes i have irish blood but if i hated you all i still would have voted yes.

I agree. Many of us have british blood.
Reply 849
NDGAARONDI
Would having Irish blood have any influencing over your decisions such as hating Britons and others alike?

No it wouldnt. But i voted no as i dont hate you all, and i am not willing to judge so many people i havent met. However it seems there are a lot of people who are willing to do that.
PadFoot90
No it wouldnt.

Good to hear. But people often make history as an excuse for doing so.

PadFoot90
However it seems there are a lot of people who are willing to do that.

Shame really.
PadFoot90
No it wouldnt. But i voted no as i dont hate you all, and i am not willing to judge so many people i havent met. However it seems there are a lot of people who are willing to do that.

Exactly!!

Why should the reputation of the people suffer becuase of politics?
Everdawn
Why should the reputation of the people suffer becuase of politics?

This happens with the British too don't forget, especially when it involves imperialism. Then you have the Irish and.....and it goes on.
Reply 853
NDGAARONDI
This happens with the British too don't forget, especially when it involves imperialism. Then you have the Irish and.....and it goes on.

Yeah, but you wouldnt believe the stuff you take on here for not being british.
PadFoot90
Yeah, but you wouldnt believe the stuff you take on here for not being british.

As I am not American I would not know how it feels like. Although I wonder if you have say an American dominated site and the problem arises with a different nationality to their own. Not necessarily British of course.

But people use politics in a bad way. There was a thread with the ugliest looking girls or something with countries as candidates. Afghanistan came pretty far up top if I remember correctly. I'd like to know how they can judge millions of people they haven't seen. Besides there was an article in The Tiems a while back with an Afghan girl and I thought she was quite pretty. People just make bad reasoning I guess.
NDGAARONDI
As I am not American I would not know how it feels like. Although I wonder if you have say an American dominated site and the problem arises with a different nationality to their own. Not necessarily British of course.

On an American dominated site, a French person might not be treated like royalty, but I find it hard to imagine any nationality would be taking a beating the way the USA and its people do on this site.
I wonder if the America-bashers here would change their minds about us if they knew how Americans felt about them. What makes this site so ironic is that we're your best friends....or at least we all think we are.
Does it make it harder to hate Americans knowing that most of my friends go out of their way to buy anything with a "made in England" label? After helping us overthrow the taliban government, my parents were so appreciative, they bought a 2003 Range Rover. I put a deposit down on a Lotus Elise around the same time.
I won't tell anyone about this site because, if they read some of the postings, it would be too much for them to handle. It's like finding out that a cute girl (or guy, for the women), that you've had a crush on for many years, can't stand you.
Reply 856
Made in the USA
they bought a 2003 Range Rover. I put a deposit down on a Lotus Elise around the same time.

Wll Land Rover are owned by Ford now anyway and Lotus are owned by Proton I believe, Lotus hasn't been owned by a Brit outright since 1986 :wink:
I like Americans :smile: All the ones I've met have been lovely. Even if they hadn't been you couldn't project that experience onto an entire country...

Mind you I don't like the present US foreign policy very much, but I don't like current British foreign policy either!
drago di giada
Heh, that is the most ignorant reason that I've ever heard. How stupid is it to say you hate someone because they are more powerful than you are.

No it isn't really. Historically lots of people hate people more powerful than them and often with justification.

And most of the time its not even true. We are as powerful as we are because we are united, we have a GOOD, STRONG sense of patriotism, and you know, if you scrutinized us closer.. you'd see that we are equal.. as it is said in the bible, and none of us are stronger than the other.

Wow, are you an american communist? I thought they died out in the 50's. The bible says all men are created equal - doesn't mean they stay that way.
American society is vastly uneven; latino and afro-americans are on average much more socially and economically deprived than their WASP counterparts. You have a very poor social and health welfare system and your society is vastly over-litigious.

You are powerful because you sign up small nations to massively unfair trade agreements, usually by sponsoring a particular faction's rise to power. You have even been known to topple elected governments and replace them with military dictatorships to secure your own ends.

As for American tourists.. we get them here too.. I am an american and I hate tourists from other states because they block trafic, are extremely loud, and liter a great deal. Oh.. and what about Canadian Tourists in america? heh, they come here to SHOP. And instead of paying the tolls when they cross the border with bags full of clothing, they change into their new clothes IN THE STORE PARKING LOTS! Put their old clothes in the bags AND LEAVE THEM IN THE PARKING LOTS!!! I know, I've witnessed this on many many many occasions.

Damn Canadians with their beady little eyes and flapping heads, lets bomb 'em! Putting new clothes on in parking lots is morally wrong!

To use an americanism:

DUFUS!
Reply 859
ChemistBoy
No it isn't really. Historically lots of people hate people more powerful than them and often with justification.

I agree that historically lots of people have hated people more poweful than them. This doesn't make it just. Their justification does not come from the virtue of power, but from other, perhaps consequential, factors.

Latest

Trending

Trending