Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    If someone does not like 40 Americans, that person concludes that he does not like Americans.

If someone does an experiment 40 times and find the results all negatively correlated, the person concludes that the results are negatively correlated. Although the scientist has only test 40 times, but is it not correct to EVER put out a conclusion because you have not tested it infinite amount of times?

Yes - people assume things, and i think they should have the right to assume, just has they have the right to say .'Americans are cool'...etc, no matter how politically incorrect and ingnorant that assumption is.
    In the case of science, the experiment would be considered invalid, and that it doesn't work. But in the case of people.. How could you justify hating EVERYONE becuse you've met a select few.

ReputationRep:
    If someone does not like 40 Americans, that person concludes that he does not like Americans.

If someone does an experiment 40 times and find the results all negatively correlated, the person concludes that the results are negatively correlated. Although the scientist has only test 40 times, but is it not correct to EVER put out a conclusion because you have not tested it infinite amount of times?

Yes - people assume things, and i think they should have the right to assume, just has they have the right to say .'Americans are cool'...etc, no matter how politically incorrect and ingnorant that assumption is.
    Come on wolf, test results and people are totally different, you cannot compare the two situations. The test results are all the result of the same experiment. Everything there is the same 40 times to get that result. Everything is the same, which is not the case with people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Come on wolf, test results and people are totally different, you cannot compare the two situations. The test results are all the result of the same experiment. Everything there is the same 40 times to get that result. Everything is the same, which is not the case with people.
    I agree fully.. people are ALL different. Even identical twins can be the exact opposites. Its not justifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Ok, so you should never give any opinions? I cannot say i like icecream, because i have not tasted every icecream in the world. You can say icecream as an example right? Every icecream is different in flavour and in quality one way or another.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so you should never give any opinions? I cannot say i like icecream, because i have not tasted every icecream in the world. You can say icecream as an example right? Every icecream is different in flavour and in quality one way or another.
    You're digging wolf. Pawing at thin air.

I understand your stance here. But I still believe its unjustified.

ReputationRep:
    wolf, people and test results cannot really be compared, nor can people and ice cream. I understand your point, and yes it works in some cases, but not with people i am afraid.

ReputationRep:
    this is not about whether you like or dislike, this is about making an accusation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    You're digging wolf. Pawing at thin air.

I understand your stance here. But I still believe its unjustified.
    Yes its unjustified, because we have feelings. That's what's the difference is between us and icecream :rolleyes: However you have the right to make any assumption you want. It's another matter whether others think your assumption is justified or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    this is not about whether you like or dislike, this is about making an accusation.
    lol, gotta luv vienna's frankness..

ReputationRep:
    Yes its unjustified, because we have feelings. That's what's the difference is between us and icecream :rolleyes: However you have the right to make any assumption you want. It's another matter whether others think your assumption is justified or not.
    I don't recall telling people what they had the right to do.

ReputationRep:
    GAH! *screams and pulls her hair out* I am sick and tired of this anti-american sentiment.

Wolf.. are you one of the ones that voted "yes" on this thread?

ReputationRep:
    GAH! *screams and pulls her hair out* I am sick and tired of this anti-american sentiment.

Wolf.. are you one of the ones that voted "yes" on this thread?
    No. What makes you think i hate Americans?

ReputationRep:
    No. What makes you think i hate Americans?
    You're just soooo set on saying that people who voted yes are justified..... it makes one wonder.

ReputationRep:
    You're just soooo set on saying that people who voted yes are justified..... it makes one wonder.
    No. In fact i was very close to vote yes, but then i don't know enough Americans! So i remain neutral.

ReputationRep:
    No. In fact i was very close to vote yes, but then i don't know enough Americans! So i remain neutral.
    Doesn't seem it to me. .. you seem to be against us. Saying that if someone says they hate every american.. it's justified. That seems hateful towards us... IMO

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't seem it to me. .. you seem to be against us. Saying that if someone says they hate every american.. it's justified. That seems hateful towards us... IMO
    I am not against Americans! Ive lived in New Jersey for 3 years and have many American friends. I was saying it's justified to the choicemaker in making the assumption. And by the way, not directly related to this, but is it necessary to justify every decision you make? Do you?

ReputationRep:
    I am not against Americans! Ive lived in New Jersey for 3 years and have many American friends. I was saying it's justified to the choicemaker in making the assumption. And by the way, not directly related to this, but is it necessary to justify every decision you make? Do you?
    Most of the time.. the person justifies his or her decision.. whether they mean to or not.

ReputationRep:
    Not to steer things too far off topic, but did you get to see other states besides Jersey? I'm not too fond of that state at all, to put it mildly. They call it the garden state, but all they seem to grow there are smoke stacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Not to steer things too far off topic, but did you get to see other states besides Jersey? I'm not too fond of that state at all, to put it mildly. They call it the garden state, but all they seem to grow there are smoke stacks.
    lol...
    "Why do they call New Jersey the "Garden State?'"
    "Because 'Oil and Petrachemical Refinery State' won't fit on a license plate?!?"

ReputationRep:
    lol...
    "Why do they call New Jersey the "Garden State?'"
    "Because 'Oil and Petrachemical Refinery State' won't fit on a license plate?!?"
    Why do they call USA the land of the free? :confused:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.