Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lehcar)
    I dislike America and a lot of what it stands for, but I wouldn't like to paint all Americans with the same brush. That is a very unfair generalisation, so I voted "No". If the question had been "Do you hate America?", the answer may have been different.
    define America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    define America.
    oh please, not again!

ReputationRep:
    I dislike America and a lot of what it stands for, but I wouldn't like to paint all Americans with the same brush. That is a very unfair generalisation, so I voted "No". If the question had been "Do you hate America?", the answer may have been different.
    How can you hate America without hating Americans? Americans are america. I just don't get it. People so they hate our government but the government is the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Moncal)
    How can you hate America without hating Americans? Americans are america. I just don't get it. People so they hate our government but the government is the people.
    That's somewhat debatable at the moment. Anyway, as I said, I wouldn't want to paint all of you with the same brush. The intelligent ones might catch something.I do hate your government (for legitamte reasons) but I don't think I could fathom enough hatefulness from within to "hate" the people simply because they may have bad politics, or are ignorant to what's around them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    why would the answer be different? Do you hate all of America?...etc this is crazy
    Crazy indeed. I meant the American government, although I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate the people that make up the government or who vote for them, but I do hate a lot of the issues and ideals they stand for. If I say I hate racists or sexists, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate the individuals, just their bigotry.

ReputationRep:
    That's somewhat debatable at the moment. Anyway, as I said, I wouldn't want to paint all of you with the same brush. The intelligent ones might catch something.I do hate your government (for legitamte reasons) but I don't think I could fathom enough hatefulness from within to "hate" the people simply because they may have bad politics, or are ignorant to what's around them.
    The government is made up of American people elected by the American people.

What is it that you hate about the government?

ReputationRep:
    How can you hate America without hating Americans? Americans are america.
    quite.

ReputationRep:
    The intelligent ones might catch something.I do hate your government. the people simply because they...are ignorant to what's around them.
    let me guess, like everyone else, you dont really have anything bad to say about the American people? let alone sweeping generalisations?

ReputationRep:
    Crazy indeed. I meant the American government,
    which is American.
    who are Americans.
    who are supported by Americans
    who were bought into power by Americans

I do hate a lot of the issues and ideals they stand for. If I say I hate racists or sexists, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate the individuals, just their bigotry.
    you hate the issues and ideals of the American people. and you compare your feeling toward them to that one reserves only for racists. i think your opinion of the American public is quite clear.

ReputationRep:
    how many people in america actually care about the federal government? I would think that quite a big share couldnt give a toss as long as the federal gov stays out of state issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    how many people in america actually care about the federal government? I would think that quite a big share couldnt give a toss as long as the federal gov stays out of state issues.
    You'd be surprised. Lots of us care. If you notice, almost all americans on here are involved in discussions about our government on here.

ReputationRep:
    You'd be surprised. Lots of us care. If you notice, almost all americans on here are involved in discussions about our government on here.
    yeah unsprisingly I would want ot try and defend my country's policies against those from abroad if I felt they were going to far from the truth.

And also not all the people in america voted for bush so there are some people with some sense in america

what was the voter turnout for your last election nationwide?

ReputationRep:
    yeah unsprisingly I would want ot try and defend my country's policies against those from abroad if I felt they were going to far from the truth.

And also not all the people in america voted for bush so there are some people with some sense in america

what was the voter turnout for your last election nationwide?
    Better than before, but not very good. There are way to many that are not exercising their right.

ReputationRep:
    I think I get it. It's just a dodge to say something like that. No one wants to be labeled a bigot, or someone that makes stereotypical generalizations, so they say something with a bit of PC spin, but it's obvious what the real meaning is. Statements like "I like Americans, but I hate their government" are really just a politically correct way of saying "I hate Americans." How could you hate a democratically elected government, elected by American Citizens, but not hate the people that government represents?

ReputationRep:
    Oh FFS vienna95. Just because I hate the American government doesn't mean I hate all Americans. My dad is from Missouri and I certainly do not hate him. A lot of his family vote Republican, I'm a bleeding heart Liberal, but it doesn't mean I hate them.

ReputationRep:
    Better than before, but not very good. There are way to many that are not exercising their right.
    that would surely suggest what i said orginally was true, I will clarify further, Its my impression that most americans arent too bothered about federal gov. as long as it
    1. dont pass to much legislation concerning domestic issues and leaves this too the states
    2. have a strong FP
    3. keeps the economy in shape
    would you agree with this or am i wildly off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I think I get it. It's just a dodge to say something like that. No one wants to be labeled a bigot, or someone that makes stereotypical generalizations, so they say something with a bit of PC spin, but it's obvious what the real meaning is. Statements like "I like Americans, but I hate their government" are really just a politically correct way of saying "I hate Americans." How could you hate a democratically elected government, elected by American Citizens, but not hate the people that government represents?
    You're only saying that so you can claim the American persecution complex. Also, read my above post.

ReputationRep:
    that would surely suggest what i said orginally was true, I will clarify further, Its my impression that most americans arent too bothered about federal gov. as long as it
    1. dont pass to much legislation concerning domestic issues and leaves this too the states
    2. have a strong FP
    Most people care more than that but can't be bothered to actually do anything to change it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh FFS vienna95. Just because I hate the American government doesn't mean I hate all Americans. My dad is from Missouri and I certainly do not hate him. A lot of his family vote Republican, I'm a bleeding heart Liberal, but it doesn't mean I hate them.
    you hate the issues and ideals of the American people. and you compare your feeling toward them to that one reserves only for racists. i think your opinion of the American public is quite clear.

ReputationRep:
    2. have a strong FP
    what else is there?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.