Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I think I get it. It's just a dodge to say something like that. No one wants to be labeled a bigot, or someone that makes stereotypical generalizations, so they say something with a bit of PC spin, but it's obvious what the real meaning is. Statements like "I like Americans, but I hate their government" are really just a politically correct way of saying "I hate Americans." How could you hate a democratically elected government, elected by American Citizens, but not hate the people that government represents?
    no i think not, believe it or not, politics is not the only thing in the whole country and some of the other bits of america life we quite like, occasionally you make some good movies, one or two of your bands are abit talented and your tourists keep my cities economy going
    so dont sterotype

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    you hate the issues and ideals of the American people. and you compare your feeling toward them to that one reserves only for racists. i think your opinion of the American public is quite clear.
    ARGH! You're getting on my nerves now. First of all, stop generalising --- not all Americans support their government, therefore it would be unfair to say I hate Americans. Once again, just because I hate somebody's political views, doesn't mean I hate them. If you don't get it this time, I'm not repeating it again for you. You argue like my brother; you say the same thing over and over and over, and eventually you hypnotise me into a stupor.

ReputationRep:
    what else is there?
    I was just trying to point out the role the state seems to have in the states which I would of thought made federal american politics less important. Most Americans I would think are only generally concerned about local issues as the country is so big for them to care about US federal action for all of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Incomplete)
    I was just trying to point out the role the state seems to have in the states which I would of thought made federal american politics less important.
    thats the general idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lehcar)
    ARGH! You're getting on my nerves now. First of all, stop generalising
    where?

therefore it would be unfair to say I hate Americans.
    "I do hate a lot of the issues and ideals they stand for. If I say I hate racists or sexists, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate the individuals, just their bigotry."

you hate the issues and ideals of the American people. and you compare your feeling toward them to that one reserves only for racists. i think your opinion of the American public is quite clear.

ReputationRep:
    where?

"I do hate a lot of the issues and ideals they stand for. If I say I hate racists or sexists, it doesn't necessarily mean I hate the individuals, just their bigotry."

That was a brash typo, I apologise. It was supposed to say "I hate racism and sexism".

ReputationRep:
    That was a brash typo, I apologise. It was supposed to say "I hate racism and sexism".
    so you hate the values and ideals of the average american, likening them to the detest one might have for racism.

how do you feel about paedophiles and rapists? or is it just the concept of paedophilia and sexual violation you dislike?

ReputationRep:
    so you hate the values and ideals of the average american, likening them to the detest one might have for racism.
    Some of those values and ideas are racism, and the other ideals may be more extreme, or less extreme, but I still disagree with the act in a similar way.

how do you feel about paedophiles and rapists?
    I pitty them, and hate their actions.

or is it just the concept of paedophilia and sexual violation you dislike?
    Correct. "Hate the sin, but love the sinner" sort of attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Some of those values and ideas are racism, and the other ideals may be more extreme, or less extreme, but I still disagree with the act in a similar way.
    i dont understand.

I pitty them, and hate their actions.
    you pity them all? yet cant make a generalisation for racists or Americans?

Correct. "Hate the sin, but love the sinner" sort of attitude.
    and love? no one actually loves you, but you appreciate the concept?

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand.

you pity them all? yet cant make a generalisation for racists or Americans?

and love? no one actually loves you, but you appreciate the concept?
    I'm so lost now. When we whittle it all away, are you telling me I hate Americans (which includes several family members and friends)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so lost now. When we whittle it all away, are you telling me I hate Americans (which includes several family members and friends)?
    no, im trying to establish what exactly you meant.

i personally dont believe that you can hate someones values and ideals and not have it effect your judgement of them. can you easily apply the same logic to love, morality, kindness? to follow your assertion you feel the child rapist is no worse a person than youre own mother.

ReputationRep:
    no, im telling you what you typed significies and trying to establish what exactly you meant.

i personally dont believe that you can hate someones values and ideals and not have it effect your judgement of them. can you easily apply the same logic to love, morality, kindness? to follow your assertion you feel the child rapist is no worse a person than youre own mother.
    have you been studying psychology recently?

ReputationRep:
    no, im trying to establish what exactly you meant.

It does effect my opinion of a lot them, of course. This does not mean, however, that I hate them.

ReputationRep:
    It does effect my opinion of a lot them, of course. This does not mean, however, that I hate them.
    fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, i would like to point out that i dont hate americans, i hate the views of amricans that support bush. I believe the american people are being lead down a road that dosnt have any signs. If you look deeply into Bush's foreign policy, its a total joke. Iraq and afganistan are failures, free trade still hasnt been established, and the U.S. dosnt seem to want to lead the way. The whole oil scandal over the summer was mostly caused by Iraq. Most countries look at bush as an idoit. Canada and mexico agree, many polititians there seem to make those type of remarks, but a guess veinna 95 dosnt seem to think so. She must be so smart, she must be best friends with president bush, because no one seems to know what that administration is doing.

well thats it for now, bye bye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Firstly, i would like to point out that i dont hate americans, i hate the views of amricans that support bush. I believe the american people are being lead down a road that dosnt have any signs. If you look deeply into Bush's foreign policy, its a total joke. Iraq and afganistan are failures, free trade still hasnt been established, and the U.S. dosnt seem to want to lead the way. The whole oil scandal over the summer was mostly caused by Iraq. Most countries look at bush as an idoit. Canada and mexico agree, many polititians there seem to make those type of remarks, but a guess veinna 95 dosnt seem to think so. She must be so smart, she must be best friends with president bush, because no one seems to know what that administration is doing.

well thats it for now, bye bye
    Well thank the lord you are here to save them all :rolleyes: But i agree with almost everything else you said.

ReputationRep:
    The whole oil scandal over the summer was mostly caused by Iraq.
    no, mostly caused by the UN and Saddam. throw insults at the US all you want, but I object highly to blaming the terrible levels of poverty and opportunity that 95% of Iraqis suffered over decades, on themselves. especially when such claims are made void of any substantiation, justification or suggestion of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Most countries look at bush as an idoit.
    Why do you assign high value to mob opinions? Because it suits your argument? Most people around the world see no difference between Canadians and Americans, does that mean there aren't any differences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuvatar)
    Do you?
    Yes. They should really just go back home with their stupid little maps and cameras! Get out of my way! oops...I've been in London for too long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Why do you assign high value to mob opinions? Because it suits your argument? Most people around the world see no difference between Canadians and Americans, does that mean there aren't any differences?

I do this because it shows how frustrated the worlds polititians are with bush. It is rare that a canadian polititian would insult an american president, but since bush has been in power, it seems to happen frequently. Why wouldnt a canadian polititian insult an american president? Simple, because 80 billion dollars worth of trade passes between our borders.

Vienna 95, you can blame saddam for rising oil prices over the summer, what a stupid arguement. What was to blame? Well terrorists blowing up pipelines in Iraq, seige of najaf, Russian oil scandal. Veinna 95, do you watch world bussiness report? Because i do, and that is what it said.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.