Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Why?
    Why do you think that person believes that? Is it really that hard to guess.

(Original post by A_master)
    Oh the credibility of the CNN!!!
    They're the same as Al-Jazeera!!!
    A_master, statements like this erodes your credibility. It happens that CNN is one of the most liberal media outlets in the U.S.

(Original post by Kondar)
    "The tax cuts will make the economy grow. As people do better, they start voting like Republicans--unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing." - Rove
    Rove was talking about the liberals in academia. They're an anomaly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Why do you think that person believes that? Is it really that hard to guess.
    no, but we're not here to guess each others convictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Keep in mind that I differentiate between sane democrats and insane democrats.
    I am suprised you think there is a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    I am suprised you think there is a difference

(Dictionary.com, Student Room Lounge edition): "insane Democrat"

Definition:_____________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ ______

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2004/pag.../epolls.0.html

So according to CNN, Bush had the majority of College Grad, Some College Grad and High School leavers(80% of the vote) while Kerry had the majority of those without any High School education at all.
    I was comparing the highest educated with the lowest educated. Satori's comment was that Republicans were smarter than Democrats. Well, the most educated people voted more democratically while the least educated voted republican.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Prof. James Lindgren of Northwestern:
    Look at the statistics from the last election regarding the highest levels of education comapred with the lowest.

Also try this one on for size.
    State Avg. IQ 2000 and whom the state voted for in 2000. These numbers are based on an estimated IQ taken from selective questions in the ACT and SAT tests administred to high school students every year. (Kondar's note: this has been critisised, but hey, there is some truth to it as it is based on factual statistics.)

1 Connecticut 113 Gore
    2 Massachusetts 111 Gore
    3 New Jersey 111 Gore
    4 New York 109 Gore
    5 Rhode Island 107 Gore
    6 Hawaii 106 Gore
    7 Maryland 105 Gore

8 New Hampshire 105 Bush
    9 Illinois 104 Gore
    10 Delaware 103 Gore
    11 Minnesota 102 Gore
    12 Vermont 102 Gore
    13 Washington 102 Gore
    14 California 101 Gore
    15 Pennsylvania 101 Gore
    16 Maine 100 Gore

17 Virginia 100 Bush
    18 Wisconsin 100 Gore
    19 Colorado 99 Bush
    20 Iowa 99 Gore
    21 Michigan 99 Gore

22 Nevada 99 Bush
    23 Ohio 99 Bush

24 Oregon 99 Gore
    25 Alaska 98 Bush
    26 Florida 98 Gore
    27 Missouri 98 Bush
    28 Kansas 96 Bush
    29 Nebraska 95 Bush
    30 Arizona 94 Bush
    31 Indiana 94 Bush
    32 Tennessee 94 Bush
    33 North Carolina 93 Bush
    34 West Virginia 93 Bush
    35 Arkansas 92 Bush
    36 Georgia 92 Bush
    37 Kentucky 92 Bush

38 New Mexico 92 Gore
    39 North Dakota 92 Bush
    40 Texas 92 Bush
    41 Alabama 90 Bush
    42 Louisiana 90 Bush
    43 Montana 90 Bush
    44 Oklahoma 90 Bush
    45 South Dakota 90 Bush
    46 South Carolina 89 Bush
    47 Wyoming 89 Bush
    48 Idaho 87 Bush
    49 Utah 87 Bush
    50 Mississippi 85 Bush

Karl Rove was speaking of the intellectual elitism that is so prevalent amongst the highly educated. You know, the sort of people who can explain the intricacies of the Crimean War, but can never remember where they put their car keys. These same people tend to be very fond of a nanny-style government, in the hopes the the government can step in and help them with all of their problems.
    Oh is that what he meant, Im glad your here to tell us these things. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Keep in mind that I differentiate between sane democrats and insane democrats.
    Of all your daily liberal bashing I have not once seen you refer to liberals as 'insane democrats' but rather liberals this and liberals that- as if we are all one homogenous voice.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the statistics from the last election regarding the highest levels of education comapred with the lowest.

State Avg. IQ 2000 and whom the state voted for in 2000. These numbers are based on an estimated IQ taken from selective questions in the ACT and SAT tests administred to high school students every year. (Kondar's note: this has been critisised, but hey, there is some truth to it as it is based on factual statistics.)
    Those statistics aren't valid because they are state averages. They include Democrats, Republicans, and non-voters. How a state votes and the average IQ within has no direct correlation with the IQs of the winning party. Furthermore, there is even room for greater criticism because at least some of the states involved in those statistics have not had average IQ compilations for decades (Utah being one of them). So, someone took some liberties with their data.

ReputationRep:
    I was comparing the highest educated with the lowest educated. Satori's comment was that Republicans were smarter than Democrats. Well, the most educated people voted more democratically while the least educated voted republican.
    that's not a very valid method of comparison either. The great education level of a small portion of the democratic party does not compensate for lack of education by the majority. And, actually, the least educated people would be high school drop outs, right? Overwhelmingly, high school dropouts vote for Democrats...so, you could say that the most educated and the least educated voted for Democrats...which probably further illustrates the significance of Rove's quotation earlier. :p:

ReputationRep:

1 Connecticut 113 Gore
    2 Massachusetts 111 Gore
    3 New Jersey 111 Gore
    4 New York 109 Gore
    5 Rhode Island 107 Gore
    6 Hawaii 106 Gore
    7 Maryland 105 Gore

8 New Hampshire 105 Bush
    9 Illinois 104 Gore
    10 Delaware 103 Gore
    11 Minnesota 102 Gore
    12 Vermont 102 Gore
    13 Washington 102 Gore
    14 California 101 Gore
    15 Pennsylvania 101 Gore
    16 Maine 100 Gore

17 Virginia 100 Bush
    18 Wisconsin 100 Gore
    19 Colorado 99 Bush
    20 Iowa 99 Gore
    21 Michigan 99 Gore

22 Nevada 99 Bush
    23 Ohio 99 Bush

24 Oregon 99 Gore
    25 Alaska 98 Bush
    26 Florida 98 Gore
    27 Missouri 98 Bush
    28 Kansas 96 Bush
    29 Nebraska 95 Bush
    30 Arizona 94 Bush
    31 Indiana 94 Bush
    32 Tennessee 94 Bush
    33 North Carolina 93 Bush
    34 West Virginia 93 Bush
    35 Arkansas 92 Bush
    36 Georgia 92 Bush
    37 Kentucky 92 Bush

38 New Mexico 92 Gore
    39 North Dakota 92 Bush
    40 Texas 92 Bush
    41 Alabama 90 Bush
    42 Louisiana 90 Bush
    43 Montana 90 Bush
    44 Oklahoma 90 Bush
    45 South Dakota 90 Bush
    46 South Carolina 89 Bush
    47 Wyoming 89 Bush
    48 Idaho 87 Bush
    49 Utah 87 Bush
    50 Mississippi 85 Bush

Oh is that what he meant, Im glad your here to tell us these things. :rolleyes:

Also, the states listed in red are the most religous too.

I find odd about american politics, is that the impoverished states of the U.S., like Kansas, seem to be heavy supporters of republicans, and far more religous than states like Washington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Also, the states listed in red are the most religous too.

I find odd about american politics, is that the impoverished states of the U.S., like Kansas, seem to be heavy supporters of republicans, and far more religous than states like Washington.
    Oh, now you're just taking that from that latest liberal gab-piece, "What's Wrong with Kansas?" aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    that's not a very valid method of comparison either. The great education level of a small portion of the democratic party does not compensate for lack of education by the majority. And, actually, the least educated people would be high school drop outs, right? Overwhelmingly, high school dropouts vote for Democrats...so, you could say that the most educated and the least educated voted for Democrats...which probably further illustrates the significance of Rove's quotation earlier. :p:
    That is incorrect, look at Vienna's numbers, she pulled those from my same source. It was about 50-50 for high school dropouts.

The average IQ does not neccessarily translate into who votes, but can give insight into the overall picture based on such large and consistant numbers. Look at my information. Blue at the top, red at the bottom. Looking just at the 2004 election from my own state. The Blue areas are places that are known for the education levels of the people that live there; Research Triange park- which has the highest concentration of PHDs in the southeast, every college town- Durham, Chapel Hill, Winston Salem. Bush, on the other hand, won the back country areas where pigs outnumber people 5 to 1.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, now you're just taking that from that latest liberal gab-piece, "What's Wrong with Kansas?" aren't you?

Yes, jab at the lefty **** again.

Nothing is wrong with Kansas, just puzzles me how improverished they are compared to the northern states, and still vote the same party for 50 years.

ReputationRep:

Nothing is wrong with Kansas, just puzzles me how improverished they are compared to the northern states, and still vote the same party for 50 years.
    Canuck you have just discovered the entire strategy of the republican party. There is an elderly lady that lives across the street from my moms store in North Carolina. She is a hard core republican, she hates everything democrats stand for- she has pro republican bumper stickers all over the back of her 1985 box car. She lives off social security and spends a decent amount of money every month on prescription drugs- ie the stereotypical democratic demographic. When I asked her why she was so against the democrats this was her answer: "If the democrat have their way then theres going to be gay people getting married all over the place and everyone will start having abortions." I asked her if she knew a single gay couple that wanted to get married and she did not. I went on to explain to her that the only way the republican party could get an elderly lady living off social security to vote for them is to scare them with these 'guns' 'gays' and 'god' crap. How none of these issues directly effected her life and how the most important ones were the ones represented by the democratic party. I dont know if she really understood or not.

Scrap the IQ's they don't mean sh*t.

Do you agree that the minorities are likely to be the least educated ??
    If so, we know that 55% of the Hispanics voted for gore, and that 89% of the Blacks voted for Gore.
    I don't have statistics on the least educated Whites, however, I see no reason to believe that they didn't vote like the Hispanics.

ReputationRep:
    Canuck you have just discovered the entire strategy of the republican party. There is an elderly lady that lives across the street from my moms store in North Carolina. She is a hard core republican, she hates everything democrats stand for- she has pro republican bumper stickers all over the back of her 1985 box car. She lives off social security and spends a decent amount of money every month on prescription drugs- ie the stereotypical democratic demographic. When I asked her why she was so against the democrats this was her answer: "If the democrat have their way then theres going to be gay people getting married all over the place and everyone will start having abortions." I asked her if she knew a single gay couple that wanted to get married and she did not. I went on to explain to her that the only way the republican party could get an elderly lady living off social security to vote for them is to scare them with these 'guns' 'gays' and 'god' 'crap'. How none of these issues directly effected her life and how the most important ones were the ones represented by the democratic party. I dont know if she really understood or not.
    I have known this for some time, i didnt really want to dig into it, mainly because most "Bush lovers", who prowl the debating forum, to defend america, dont desire to hear the oppinon of a Canadian who is assumed a "lefty"

I would like to point out that in Canada, nationalism dosnt even exist. We give up peices of our heritage with hesitation, so that newly arrived immigrants dont feel alienated. Instead of saying "Merry Christmas" on T.V. it now "Happy Holidays", even though 90% of canadians are christian.

Right now, on another forum, im debatiing whether or not the Canadian army should keep the scarlet dress "red coat." In one day, 150 posts have been posted. The people of Canada love the scarlet dress, but some in the military find it too British and favour a more american looking uniform.

Not saying nationalism is bad, Canada needs it dearly and the U.S. should tone its down.

ReputationRep:

How was that a jab? Because I said "liberal gab-piece"? Are you not aware that many prominent liberals are using this book to explain Kerry's election loss? It's the blame game, as usual.

ReputationRep:
    That is incorrect, look at Vienna's numbers, she pulled those from my same source. It was about 50-50 for high school dropouts.
    It is correct. We are talking about party affiliation and the correlation with education and, indirectly, intellect. Party affiliation has nothing to do with whom you voted for in the 2004 or 2000 presidential election. My statistics are based upon studies solely looking at the education levels of people, organized by their political party affiliation. My statistics are a better measurement of what we are discussing.

The average IQ does not neccessarily translate into who votes, but can give insight into the overall picture based on such large and consistant numbers. Look at my information. Blue at the top, red at the bottom. Looking just at the 2004 election from my own state. The Blue areas are places that are known for the education levels of the people that live there; Research Triange park- which has the highest concentration of PHDs in the southeast, every college town- Durham, Chapel Hill, Winston Salem. Bush, on the other hand, won the back country areas where pigs outnumber people 5 to 1.
    The idea that average IQ of a state can translate into a correlation of the intelligence of party members of the presidential winner is laughable at best. The IQ average is based on the numbers for the entire state, including non-voters. If a substantial portion of a state's population is both moronic and does not vote (which could be thought to go together), it will lower the IQ average, but have no impact on the voting outcome. Also, if a state has a large portion of well-educated (and most likely well-employed) people, the average IQ score will go up, whether these people make the time to vote, or not. Furthermore, you do not take into account anyone who votes against his own party, or people who are independents. There is just no way that you could ever try to say that there is any way to use your little IQ statistics in a credible manner to make any claims regarding the intelligence generalizations based upon political party designation.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.