Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    It is correct. We are talking about party affiliation and the correlation with education and, indirectly, intellect. Party affiliation has nothing to do with whom you voted for in the 2004 or 2000 presidential election. My statistics are based upon studies solely looking at the education levels of people, organized by their political party affiliation. My statistics are a better measurement of what we are discussing.
    My statistics were based on the 2004 national election (which Bush won btw, so he would have the advantage in this scale as more people voted for him.) The numbers between Gore and Bush are even more in my favor. Your whole argument stems from a paper that some proffesor wrote. Remember the Duke article- dont bring weak arguments here. I for one do not think that one party is generally any smarter than the other. I was simply disbuting your claim.
    The idea that average IQ of a state can translate into a correlation of the intelligence of party members of the presidential winner is laughable at best. The IQ average is based on the numbers for the entire state, including non-voters. If a substantial portion of a state's population is both moronic and does not vote (which could be thought to go together), it will lower the IQ average, but have no impact on the voting outcome. Also, if a state has a large portion of well-educated (and most likely well-employed) people, the average IQ score will go up, whether these people make the time to vote, or not. Furthermore, you do not take into account anyone who votes against his own party, or people who are independents. There is just no way that you could ever try to say that there is any way to use your little IQ statistics in a credible manner to make any claims regarding the intelligence generalizations based upon political party designation.
    It encompasses everyone- voters and non voters alike- it is a sample study, but so far wide reaching that it does gain a sense of truth. I even said that I could not use them in a credible manner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    I was comparing the highest educated with the lowest educated. Well, the most educated people voted more democratically while the least educated voted republican.
    Firstly, those least educated, with no high school education, voted for Kerry.
    Secondly, your comparison accounts for only 20% of the population.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the statistics from the last election regarding the highest levels of education comapred with the lowest.

Also try this one on for size.
    State Avg. IQ 2000 and whom the state voted for in 2000. These numbers are based on an estimated IQ taken from selective questions in the ACT and SAT tests administred to high school students every year. (Kondar's note: this has been critisised, but hey, there is some truth to it as it is based on factual statistics.)

1 Connecticut 113 Gore
    2 Massachusetts 111 Gore

48 Idaho 87 Bush
    49 Utah 87 Bush
    50 Mississippi 85 Bush

Oh is that what he meant, Im glad your here to tell us these things. :rolleyes:

These IQ scores have been conclusively debunked time and time again. They are of no value.

ReputationRep:
    My statistics were based on the 2004 national election (which Bush won btw, so he would have the advantage in this scale as more people voted for him.) The numbers between Gore and Bush are even more in my favor.
    The entire point is that your stats have no value to the argument at hand, which was not "Were Bush-voters smarter than Kerry-or-Gore-voters," but "Are Republicans smarter than Democrats."

Your whole argument stems from a paper that some proffesor wrote. Remember the Duke article- dont bring weak arguments here. I for one do not think that one party is generally any smarter than the other.
    An academic document written based upon studies that investigated the educational backgrounds of Americans based upon party affiliation. Yeah, that's very weak compared to the astounding accuracy of exit polls. :rolleyes: Who did they slate to win the presidency again? And who actually won?

I was simply disbuting your claim.It encompasses everyone- voters and non voters alike- it is a sample study, but so far wide reaching that it does gain a sense of truth. I even said that I could not use them in a credible manner.
    How can this bogus IQ data possibly provide any sense of truth when there is no data regarding the voting populace separate from the non-voters.

Furthermore, the 2000 Bush-Gore race DOES NOT back up your claim. http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2000/epolls/US/P000.html

Vote by Education | % of All Voters | Gore | Bush |

No H.S. Degree | 5% | 59% 39%

High School Graduate | 21% | 48% 49%

Some College | 32% | 45% 51%

College Graduate| 24% | 45% 51%

Post-Graduate Degree| 18%| 52% 44%
    Overall, Bush-voters win, by a slight margin. Not that it really matters, since that is no barometer of party intellect. I just felt the need to correct your lack of information.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, speciez.. been a while, hope everything's good with you and school.

And sparrowhawk.. wow.. someone liked "Earthsea."

Oh and Wolf.. thanks for the rep.. the concert was amazing. We kicked azz. I even got to see a friend of mine who I haven't seen in a few months.. so all was good.

ReputationRep:
    /puts on politically correct cap

THEM STATES WITH LOWER IQs HAVE HIGHER ETHNIC MINORITY PERCENTAGES. YOU ARE BEING RACIST.

/end

see how BULLS!-!IT this IQ thing is?
    hopefully you'll all decist now. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    /puts on politically correct cap

THEM STATES WITH LOWER IQs HAVE HIGHER ETHNIC MINORITY PERCENTAGES. YOU ARE BEING RACIST.

/end

see how BULLS!-!IT this IQ thing is?
    hopefully you'll all decist now. thanks
    *nods agreement* In saying states whith higher ethnic minority percentages have lower IQ's, or whichever way you wish to word it, you are being racist. yup yup.. I agree fully.

And if you don't, explain to technik and I how you are not being racist with that statement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuvatar)
    Do you?
    Nope, but I do disagree with some of their policies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    Nope, but I do disagree with some of their policies.
    I think this should be the catchphrase for this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Although I strongly disagree with loads of their policies and the way that their society works, I don't think you can claim to 'hate' the whole race just because of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    I think this should be the catchphrase for this thread.

OoO.. vienna.. what'd you do to warrant a warning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    OoO.. vienna.. what'd you do to warrant a warning?
    Promoted constructive discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoisinHan)
    Although I strongly disagree with loads of their policies and the way that their society works, I don't think you can claim to 'hate' the whole race just because of that.
    how does our society work? do you even know? the US is a pretty complex place where individual states can be almost as dissimilar as separate countries. i can't believe people are still responding to this thread. i'm also incredulous that nearly 200 people answered "yes" they hate americans. why does the rest of the world feel entitled to sit around *****ing about us and condemn us all when most of them don't even know what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiesado)
    how does our society work? do you even know? the US is a pretty complex place where individual states can be almost as dissimilar as separate countries. i can't believe people are still responding to this thread. i'm also incredulous that nearly 200 people answered "yes" they hate americans. why does the rest of the world feel entitled to sit around *****ing about us and condemn us all when most of them don't even know what they're talking about.
    Because ignorance is bliss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Because ignorance is bliss.
    so you're saying that hating America and constantly moaning about her every move makes the rest of the world happy? it's nice to think we're making strides.

ReputationRep:
    so you're saying that hating America and constantly moaning about her every move makes the rest of the world happy? it's nice to think we're making strides.
    Erm.....no. I'm saying that a lot of people critisize/hate America because they are ignorant. Can you read? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes whereas you can't. You answered my question: "why does the rest of the world feel entitled to sit around *****ing about us and condemn us all when most of them don't even know what they're talking about." with "Because ignorance is bliss."

There are ignorant people in America just as there are everywhere else but if you're going to make the claim that we're more ignorant as a whole than any other nation and therefore merit your hatred you can hardly appear credible.

ReputationRep:
    Yes whereas you can't. You answered my question: "why does the rest of the world feel entitled to sit around *****ing about us and condemn us all when most of them don't even know what they're talking about." with "Because ignorance is bliss."

There are ignorant people in America just as there are everywhere else but if you're going to make the claim that we're more ignorant as a whole than any other nation and therefore merit your hatred you can hardly appear credible.
    I'm answering your question by telling you that the reason "the rest of the world feel entitled to sit around *****ing about us" is because they are ignorant. Is English your second language? What is it you don't understand?

ReputationRep:
    why does the rest of the world feel entitled to sit around *****ing about us and condemn us all when most of them don't even know what they're talking about.
    Everyone *****es about everyone else, fact of life. People's ire is not restricted to the americans, and certainly the americans do their fair share of shameless *****ing too (ask the french).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Everyone *****es about everyone else, fact of life. People's ire is not restricted to the americans, and certainly the americans do their fair share of shameless *****ing too (ask the french).
    That's very true. Sit in any bar in America and you'll find few good words spoken of anyone who isn't American.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.