Turn on thread page Beta

Do you hate Americans? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Personally I have been very hostile towards the actions of the American adminstration (I don't think I'll forgive them, or my own government, for invading a country based on wrong intelligence). However, I'm warming to Bush in his second term.

ReputationRep:
    no americans can be great... honestly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Promoted constructive discussion.
    *sharp intake of breath* OMG! That's so terrible! :eek: :ahhhhh:

lol, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. *sighs* Was it some constructive criticism towards the mods?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    *sharp intake of breath* OMG! That's so terrible! :eek: :ahhhhh:

lol, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. *sighs* Was it some constructive criticism towards the mods?
    I rephrased a question in reply to an existing post after my previous question had been deleted for not being constructive enough.

I rephrased a question in reply to an existing post after my previous question had been deleted for not being constructive enough.
    Are they wire tapping or using video surveillance on all your posts??

Or do they just assign a detective to follow you around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Douglas)
    Are they wire tapping or using video surveillance on all your posts??

Or do they just assign a detective to follow you around?
    off topic: hehe, no just various Heydrich wannabees

off topic: hehe, no just various Heydrich wannabees
    If it's off topic, I expect to see a warning shortly.

ReputationRep:
    lol, oh heaven forbid! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss kitty)
    no americans can be great... honestly
    ?
    What do you mean? How can not having Americans be great?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    ?
    I thought she just didn't use punctuation to serve her point "No, Americans can be great...honestly." But, I could be wrong. that was just my interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    ?
    I think her post was just a problem of comma placement--

"no, American's can be great..."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    I thought she just didn't use punctuation to serve her point "No, Americans can be great...honestly." But, I could be wrong. that was just my interpretation.
    beat me to it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Okay thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

ReputationRep:
    ?
    what would the world be like with no Americans? or if America had never become powerful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiesado)
    what would the world be like with no Americans? or if America had never become powerful?
    There wouldn't be a war in Iraq, but also half the world would belong to Japan and the other half would belong to Germany.

ReputationRep:
    There wouldn't be a war in Iraq, but also half the world would belong to Japan and the other half would belong to Germany.
    And let's not forget that there would have been nowhere to send all of the fringe religious groups...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiesado)
    what do you mean by no americans? do you mean no brittish emigrants (e.g. the north american land mass probably being occupied by a french or spanish colony), or no european settlers at all (e.g. just native americans)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    what do you mean by no americans? do you mean no brittish emigrants (e.g. the north american land mass probably being occupied by a french or spanish colony), or no european settlers at all (e.g. just native americans)?
    I guess I mean if American culture wasn't as predominant worldwide as it is now or if America wasn't powerful like it is now. If America was no more important on the world front than say Uzbekistan or some other smaller country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    I think she meant America as we know it today, not 100 years ago or 1000 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illuvatar)
    Do you?
    I think young people, myself included, get too carried away with left-wing notions....and do not consider the other side to things - this was my case with regards to the war....something needed to be done/does need to be done - but a war? Never the answer - also shows the priorities of American administration....what about crisis of sudan, with the militias, what about aids crisis, world poverty etc....global warming.

Do i "hate" Americans?

No I don't....
    The people? In regards to politics, its clear that generally they are right-wing (booooo!!!!!!!!!!......they are TOO right wing)
    For example, right-wing religion, anti-abortion (in all circumstances),pro-death penalty, anti-gay/lesbian.....and i feel that their patriotism is ridiculous - yes its nice to have SOME pride, but they go over the top because they want to stand out and show everyone "we are a superpower, we embody democracy"....all that razzmattaz etc - just like rocky anthology- its a false atmosphere.

What encapsulates it for me is the example of that blonde bimbo britney spears and her little cameo in farenheit 9/11 - saying she will trust anyone who occupies the white house and has her unabiding loyalty and trust - to me thats búllshit.....shes a sheep, doesn't have a mind of her own, doesn't think about what she is all about, and believes because its America, "it" makes all the decisions correctly... WRONG!!!! Thats arrogance in my book.

So i would argue that there are too many americans like this, but importantly not all are. Ive met some nice americans at my uni, who are anti-war! Anti-war doesn't mean pro-saddam or anti-democracy or anti-america as some would have it (bush in usa slaughtering american citizens who were anti-war) and the like but there are alot of americans who i wouldn't get along with because of their personalities...and peoples personalities, in many arenas, stem from their subjective political ideologies.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.