Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    I think young people, myself included, get too carried away with left-wing notions....and do not consider the other side to things - this was my case with regards to the war....something needed to be done/does need to be done - but a war? Never the answer - also shows the priorities of American administration....what about crisis of sudan, with the militias, what about aids crisis, world poverty etc....global warming.
    You are aware that out of all singular nations, the United States has done more for each of these causes than any other single nation...

Do i "hate" Americans?

No I don't....
    Goody

The people? In regards to politics, its clear that generally they are right-wing (booooo!!!!!!!!!!......they are TOO right wing)
    For example, right-wing religion, anti-abortion (in all circumstances),pro-death penalty, anti-gay/lesbian.....and i feel that their patriotism is ridiculous - yes its nice to have SOME pride, but they go over the top because they want to stand out and show everyone "we are a superpower, we embody democracy"....all that razzmattaz etc - just like rocky anthology- its a false atmosphere.
    "right-wing religion" -- last I checked there is no such thing as a political affiliation for a religion. As for your comment of being "too right wing" it seems that you just wish Americans thought more like you. Not one for diversity, eh?

"anti-abortion (in all circumstances)" -- Actually, most Americans (even those right-wing ones that you're booing, only disapprove of convenience abortions. Abortions as a result of a health risk or rape are understandable.

"pro-death penalty" -- You see this as a negative connotation, but there are people who would prefer there to be a capital punishment deterrent for criminals. If you'd much rather that a multiple murderer be sentenced to anger management sessions and had his ice cream taken away for a week, then you just happen to disagree with the majority of Americans.

"anti-gay/lesbian" -- No, the difference is that the American public doesn't like having talk of sexuality (of any kind, heterosexual, homosexual, etc) shoved down its throat constantly. Most who you would deem "anti-gay" simply don't want to hear the private activity of other people.

"patriotism" -- You only consider it odd because patriotism is not a part of your own culture. Americans tend to like where they live, should they apologize to you for it?

What encapsulates it for me is the example of that blonde bimbo britney spears and her little cameo in farenheit 9/11 - saying she will trust anyone who occupies the white house and has her unabiding loyalty and trust - to me thats búllshit.....shes a sheep, doesn't have a mind of her own, doesn't think about what she is all about, and believes because its America, "it" makes all the decisions correctly... WRONG!!!! Thats arrogance in my book.
    Gee, a pop star that has millions of dollars is arrogant?! OMG! It says something about your inherent bias against Americans if you assume that every American can be spoken for by Britney Spears.

The irony is that just a paragraph ago, you were complaining about Americans and how they are too right wing, etc, and they don't think the way you want them to. And yet, now you seem to equate Americans as mindless sheep. Are you only unhappy because Americans don't think the way that you wish they did?

So i would argue that there are too many americans like this, but importantly not all are. Ive met some nice americans at my uni, who are anti-war! Anti-war doesn't mean pro-saddam or anti-democracy or anti-america as some would have it (bush in usa slaughtering american citizens who were anti-war) and the like but there are alot of americans who i wouldn't get along with because of their personalities...and peoples personalities, in many arenas, stem from their subjective political ideologies.
    So, you cannot get along with someone if you disagree with their politics? How sad for you. I'm sure you'll really learn to grow as a person by only surrounding yourself with people of the same mind as you. Baa! :sheep:

ReputationRep:
    what a surprise...the respondent to my post is American.
    I feel that you will be in the minority with your views...you are biased and slanted - try to appreciate an independent stance - that of a neutral.

Multi-cultural - yes your social base is more so than ours.
    Patriotism? I and we, i feel, as a nation do have a good level of pride....you just want to stand out and "be the best"....which is utter búllshit....you might have the power but those in charge do not have the brains, America is a brainless/braindead operation...full stop.....what a joke. I'll give you the example of a military operation you "carried" out. This involvedn setting off a missile in the Iraq war, but no, it didn't get there but to a neighbouring country - yoy might have all the power in the world, you might..well you do, abuse such a privilege, particularly with relevance to recent events....but boy can you fúck things up and make matters worse.

USA can be good and bad....right now its being a bad boy...in need of a good spanking and i'm sure tones will be more than willing to pepper the president with a good áss whipping sesh.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that you will be in the minority with your views...you are biased and slanted - try to appreciate an independent stance - that of a neutral.
    Where is the bias? What country do neutrals come from?

Patriotism? I and we, i feel, as a nation do have a good level of pride....you just want to stand out and "be the best"
    Says who?

....which is utter búllshit....you might have the power but those in charge do not have the brains, America is a brainless/braindead operation...full stop.....what a joke.
    According to you. Are you a neutral?

I'll give you the example of a military operation you "carried" out. This involvedn setting off a missile in the Iraq war, but no, it didn't get there but to a neighbouring country - yoy might have all the power in the world, you might..well you do, abuse such a privilege, particularly with relevance to recent events....but boy can you fúck things up and make matters worse.
    Or you can turn on you TV and see that Iraqis are thanking US and UK soldiers for bringing them democracy.
    Im not actually sure what you are talking about or any relevance it might have to the American people.

USA can be good and bad....right now its being a bad boy...in need of a good spanking and i'm sure tones will be more than willing to pepper the president with a good áss whipping sesh.
    Are you a neutral and what "spanking" would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    Never the answer
    Military action is never the answer? Are you willing to condemn military action taken by British forces throughout history?

What part of US action in Sudan to you find unsatisfactory and as such, how would you assess the contribution of the UK, the EU and the UN.

No I don't....
    The people? In regards to politics, its clear that generally they are right-wing (booooo!!!!!!!!!!......they are TOO right wing)
    Too right wing for who or what?

So i would argue that there are too many americans like this, but importantly not all are. Ive met some nice americans at my uni, who are anti-war! Anti-war doesn't mean pro-saddam or anti-democracy or anti-america as some would have it (bush in usa slaughtering american citizens who were anti-war) and the like but there are alot of americans who i wouldn't get along with because of their personalities...and peoples personalities, in many arenas, stem from their subjective political ideologies.
    So would you define nice Americans as those who share your political ideologies?
    As a Briton who is pro-Iraq intervention, pro-US, pro-Israel, pro-Republican, Atlanticist and who shares some neoconservative views, how do you view the British people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Where is the bias? What country do neutrals come from?

Says who?

According to you. Are you a neutral?

Or you can turn on you TV and see that Iraqis are thanking US and UK soldiers for bringing them democracy.
    Im not actually sure what you are talking about or any relevance it might have to the American people.

Are you a neutral and what "spanking" would you suggest?

I would love to know where you get your information from what the iraqis say....its all very fúcked up and a confused case with Iraq...its sad that it was us and the USA that provided the wmds...but they disappeared! Ermmm...anyways something perhaps did need to be done but i don't feel war is the best answer...particularly with regards to Iraq.for starters has Iraq threatened America? If the UN felt it was necessary then it would have my support, but not a two-pronged invasion - not truly reflective or representative of the real truth i feel. Extremists are extremists for a reason, some say they take the form of a perverted interpretation of Islam....what the US, and other bits of western world have failed at...is asking why they are not happy? I think reason, on most cases, underpins action....perhaps a greater front on aid effort to Iraq, which was pretty poor to begin with...the war has screwed things up further in this sense....its difficult really.... i have to admit im "newish" to politics, picking up things and thinking through as i go along....i think i would need to take a visit to war-torn areas to see what really is going on...the first casualty of war is truth and the search for it is very difficult, as is arriving at conclusions.

i think global hatred is around, largely because of the differentials in terms of wealth distribution, and the respective political ideologies/systems in place, with what each entail. Its good,and inevitable, that global consciousness is increasing (expansion of ICTs et al) but its difficult to decide what to do with regards to foreign affairs - do we have a case for war just because that country isn't what we would like it to be? Doesn't it have the freedom to be the system it wants to be....it may be "bad" in the eyes of western civilisations only because we are so, perhaps "insular" and too comfortably trapped in wealth and blind ignorance of less fortunate civilisations? Perhaps we (the West largely) are more to blame than what many believe...

As you can probably decipher from this wild account, i am only starting to get to grips with politics and international politics...its only been a couple of years since i started taking interest, i had absolutely no interest previously.

I apologise for my somewhat wild comments i made earlier about americans...i was unjustifiably harsh/cruel regarding the American people...its the administration im not really happy with - i understand that "America" is often all to easily taken as the one entity - i understand that its diverse with a flood of opinions but i feel the admin itself is too strong in one particular stance....im a bit set against western consumer culture - but fact is we are not really forced to embrace it...we seem to readily accept it all.

I would like to gain more knowledge what the american people are like...do they swallow up all that they are told, how much do they question things etc. I think i have taken too parochial outlook on american life and culture, but not on the politics to the same degree...i think the media in this country are or "is" quite anti-america, not just in terms of bush at present but aspects of globalized americanization, fast food as an arena for example - not seen as positives by many, yet an awful lot of people still seem to embrace, what for me is a taccy, horribly manufactured convenience and "want culture" - too much want in this increasingly growing ideal of consumerism - reflects what for me is human nature - a desire for luxurious ways - i don't have a big problem with this but i do with greed, greed and comfortable living are entirely seperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    Military action is never the answer? Are you willing to condemn military action taken by British forces throughout history?

What part of US action in Sudan to you find unsatisfactory and as such, how would you assess the contribution of the UK, the EU and the UN.

Too right wing for who or what?

So would you define nice Americans as those who share your political ideologies?
    As a Briton who is pro-Iraq intervention, pro-US, pro-Israel, pro-Republican, Atlanticist and who shares some neoconservative views, how do you view the British people?

Ok...i apologise for my choice of words - "never" is too strong...military action is and has been justified on occasions...

ReputationRep:
    With America though with regards to the recent presidential election.....

Is there that much of a difference between the republican and the democratic? From the reportage i read/heard, i couldn't distinguish a huge amount of difference? Whats the US equivalent of the lib dem party just out of curiousity?

ReputationRep:

Is there that much of a difference between the republican and the democratic? From the reportage i read/heard, i couldn't distinguish a huge amount of difference? Whats the US equivalent of the lib dem party just out of curiousity?
    I think that the third party candidate was a bit more to the left politically but I could be wronge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I think that the third party candidate was a bit more to the left politically but I could be wronge.
    Ralph Nader's green party would be closest.

Although there is really nothing like the republican party outside of the USA. And I don't mean that they are all "neocons" either, that's an overused media catchphrase.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to gain more knowledge what the american people are like...do they swallow up all that they are told, how much do they question things etc.
    The only way you can learn about a country without visiting is, unfortunately, from what you hear in the media. Some papers, such as the Guardian, which I read online for a laugh, are filled with mistakes that anyone who has ever spent a day in the USA would not make. They mix up republicans and democrats all the time, which is hard to do when we only have, for the most part, a two party system. I'm not surprised when I hear so many Euros telling me they don't understand the difference between our two parties. Their newspapers don't know the difference either!!

Forget what the media tells you and hop on a plane and check out the USA. If you visit a state in the south, I can guarantee every stereotype you have about the "red states" will be refuted. People are very warm and friendly in these places. As they say in Charleston, "You can get away with almost anything as long as it's done with good manners."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Ralph Nader's green party would be closest.

Although there is really nothing like the republican party outside of the USA. And I don't mean that they are all "neocons" either, that's an overused media catchphrase.
    whats "liberal" then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    whats "liberal" then?
    That can mean anything from "left wing" to "libertarian"

Also, if you are very right wing and cionservative..your defintion of "liberal" can be construed as "moderate"

If you say you are "liberal", you are...but the difference lies more in the approach...

You could call, for example, John McCain a liberal republican. But that might all depend on how "conservative" or 'Right wing" you are.

What i'm trying to say is...it's all relative, and most of the people in the UK can get the wrong idea, especially if they haven't spent at least a few months in the US.

ReputationRep:
    I love America, and I love Americans, for the person who made that silly comment about them being fake, well being English and living in England many people are just miserable and fake here too.

I love every thing about America. I don't care much for George Bush but I live in England and think more about Tony Blair and what a prat he is.

I know I would immigrate tomorrow if I could. England is just getting more expensive and the people are getting ruder, or is it just me?

ReputationRep:
    That can mean anything from "left wing" to "libertarian"

Also, if you are very right wing and cionservative..your defintion of "liberal" can be construed as "moderate"

If you say you are "liberal", you are...but the difference lies more in the approach...

You could call, for example, John McCain a liberal republican. But that might all depend on how "conservative" or 'Right wing" you are.

What i'm trying to say is...it's all relative, and most of the people in the UK can get the wrong idea, especially if they haven't spent at least a few months in the US.
    Oh please. Neocon is overused and liberal isnt? Get real.

ReputationRep:
    >HATE< is a very strong word.... and if you would hate all of them just because u have bad experiences with some it would be just a sign of your intelectual immaturity because making fast conclusions and creating negative stereotypes based on few experiences doesnt make any sence..

I personally have some unpleasant experiences with ppl from USA... but i can not tell that i hate them..
    i dont hate anybody
    there are just some ppl a rather prefer to stay away from

ReputationRep:

Is there that much of a difference between the republican and the democratic?
    To us, there is a big difference between the democrat party and the republican party, but from your perspective, you may see the two as right wing and far-right wing. I'll try to be as objective as possible (I'm a registered republican) in describing the differences between the two parties.

I'm over simplifying things, but some of the issues a republican is for are:

•Less Abortion
    •The use of the death penalty for heinous crimes
    •Free market economy and low taxes
    •Competition in education (vouchers that allow parents to send their kids to private schools)
    •Preservation of traditional marriage
    •The right to bear arms (Guns)
    •Privatized health care
    •A strong military/defense
    •Free Trade

Democrats support:

•Unrestricted abortion
    •More government regulation of the economy and higher taxes to support the big government
    •Gay rights
    •Socialized medicine/healthcare
    •Strict gun control laws
    •Environmental regulations/laws
    •Social programs
    •Affirmative action

Agreed....but with modifications in red
    [QUOTE=Made in the USA]To us, there is a big difference between the democrat party and the republican party, but from your perspective, you may see the two as right wing and far-right wing. I'll try to be as objective as possible (I'm a registered republican) in describing the differences between the two parties.

I'm over simplifying things, but some of the issues a republican is for are:

•Less Abortion...against partial abortion
    •The use of the death penalty for heinous crimes...yup
    •Free market economy and low taxes...yes
    •Competition in education (vouchers that allow parents to send their kids to private schools)....more disipline in schools
    •Preservation of traditional marriage....yep
    •The right to bear arms (Guns)...definitely
    •Privatized health care.....affordable
    •A strong military/defense...with abundant funding for R&D
    •Free Trade....yep
    gay rights, but no gay marriage

Democrats support:

•Unrestricted abortion...up to, and including the 9th month
    •More government regulation of the economy and higher taxes to support the big government....with redistribution of wealth
    •Gay rights....gay marriage
    •Socialized medicine/healthcare.....Hillary style
    •Strict gun control laws....far left wants NO GUNS
    •Environmental regulations/laws...save the cockroach, save the dandilions, no nuclear power, no drilling for oil on American soil, but Ok on foreign soil.
    •Social programs....lazy folks earned that free money
    •Affirmative action....]yes, and banning the creche[/QUOTE

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i do. With a passion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Oh please. Neocon is overused and liberal isnt? Get real.
    Where did I say the "liberal" isn't overused?

What are you getting at?

I'm trying to provide a balanced viewpoint here, stating that all republicans are not the "neocon" types, and there is a mix of views...You can compare someone like Donald Rumsfeld to Andrew Sullivan and see that there is a spectrum...

Anyway, I'm really more intrested on how 33% of the 600+ people that responded to this are anti american...or why they feel the bad about the USA would outweigh the good.

It's also intresting to ask about thier perceptions on the USA...especially if thev'e never been here for a visit... I would assume that they would usually visit Spain, France, or other countries much closer to them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by need_money)
    Yes, i do. With a passion.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Where did I say the "liberal" isn't overused?

What are you getting at?
    Im just saying that liberal is used much much more than neocon

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.