Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    Thanks for the explanation.

Im just saying that liberal is used much much more than neocon
    Still, neocon is more the "trendy" term of the moment. Liberal has been widely used for decades, so to say that it is over-used is a matter of opinion. However, considering that the phrase neo-con only recently came into existence, it isn't really feasible that the widespread usage of the term would coincide with widespread ideology.

ReputationRep:
    I don't hate Americans, that would be racist. The only ones I hate are George Bush and his warmongering, oil-grabbing cronies, and greedy multinationals. Most ordinary Americans are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Still, neocon is more the "trendy" term of the moment. Liberal has been widely used for decades, so to say that it is over-used is a matter of opinion. However, considering that the phrase neo-con only recently came into existence, it isn't really feasible that the widespread usage of the term would coincide with widespread ideology.
    however long it may have been around, GWB couldn't have explioted it anymore then he did.

[QUOTE=Douglas]Agreed....but with modifications in red
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    To us, there is a big difference between the democrat party and the republican party, but from your perspective, you may see the two as right wing and far-right wing. I'll try to be as objective as possible (I'm a registered republican) in describing the differences between the two parties.

I'm over simplifying things, but some of the issues a republican is for are:

•Less Abortion...against partial abortion
    •The use of the death penalty for heinous crimes...yup
    •Free market economy and low taxes...yes
    •Competition in education (vouchers that allow parents to send their kids to private schools)....more disipline in schools
    •Preservation of traditional marriage....yep
    •The right to bear arms (Guns)...definitely
    •Privatized health care.....affordable
    •A strong military/defense...with abundant funding for R&D
    •Free Trade....yep
    gay rights, but no gay marriage

Democrats support:

•Unrestricted abortion...up to, and including the 9th month
    •More government regulation of the economy and higher taxes to support the big government....with redistribution of wealth
    •Gay rights....gay marriage
    •Socialized medicine/healthcare.....Hillary style
    •Strict gun control laws....far left wants NO GUNS
    •Environmental regulations/laws...save the cockroach, save the dandilions, no nuclear power, no drilling for oil on American soil, but Ok on foreign soil.
    •Social programs....lazy folks earned that free money
    •Affirmative action....]yes, and banning the creche[/QUOTE
    I love how when you say 'democrats support' you actually are referring to people so extreme they think of greenpeace as 'part of the establishment'.
    And what do you mean by 'hillary style' exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Democrats support:

•Gay rights....gay marriage
    •Socialized medicine/healthcare.....Hillary style
    •Strict gun control laws....far left wants NO GUNS
    •Environmental regulations/laws...save the cockroach, save the dandilions, no nuclear power, no drilling for oil on American soil, but Ok on foreign soil.
    •Social programs....lazy folks earned that free money
    •Affirmative action....]yes, and banning the creche[/QUOTE[/QUOTE]

ok...come on douglas, that was an incredibly biased statement you made there! I happen to be a democrat. I also happen to know that kids whose parents may not earn enough money to pay for healthcare (because costs are going up) should have health care, just like you and I. Also, take into consideration that healthcare costs go up when people cannot afford to pay back the hospital because they couldn't afford health care in the first place! by having a nationwide healthcare system for children, costs would decrease....

yes, I want to get rid of guns. I think we don't need them, AND ALL THE HUNTERS WHO SAY WE DO can stop bloody killing animals, it's wrong to kill something that has done nothing to you.

we SHOULD have enviromental regulations, not enough republicans are responsible to own gas-efficent cars so we should try to stop polution while we can. Think about the effects polution have on the populace.....higher rates of asthma ect. plus, DON'T you WANT your kids to be able to enjoy nature? yeah, I thought so!

I'm all for nuclear power, used responsibly and monitered carefully, it's one of the cleanest sources we have.....however, I'm not for drilling in the US. personally, I think that if all the people in this nation (who drive SUVs and trucks) which accounts for 50% of vehicles <or close to it> were to drive cars that actually got a decent gasmilage, say 25-30mph, our gas consumption would go down by 25%. then we wouldn't need to drill in the US so badly.

and all I can say about social programs, is that there are a TON of hardworking americans on welfare that really DON'T spend it on beer and drugs. my nana, for one, was left by her husband, and had four children to raise. she worked 18 hour days as a waitress and was on welfare, even though IT KILLED HER TO ACCPET money. I suggest you actually know something more about welfare than widespread stereotypes the republican party likes to put out before you shoot your mouth off again....

You know you're a Republican when...

You think "proletariat" is a type of cheese.
    You've named your kids "Deduction one" and "Deduction two"
    You've tried to argue that poverty could be abolished if people were just allowed to keep more of their minimum wage.
    You've ever referred to someone as "my (insert racial or ethnic minority here) friend"
    You've ever tried to prove Jesus was a capitalist and opposed to welfare.
    You're a pro-lifer, but support the death penalty.
    You think Huey Newton is a cookie.
    The only union you support is the Baseball Players, because heck, they're richer than you.
    You think you might remember laughing once as a kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    I love how when you say 'democrats support' you actually are referring to people so extreme they think of greenpeace as 'part of the establishment'.
    And what do you mean by 'hillary style' exactly?
    heeeyyyyy,
    I'm a member of greenpeace, and PETA, AND Amnesty International! I am most DEFINATLY part of the establishment!

ReputationRep:
    HELL NO! American politics, I'm not a big fan of. Some of my best friends however, are Americans. Depending on the individual, I can quite adore them.

ReputationRep:
    however long it may have been around, GWB couldn't have explioted it anymore then he did.
    Um...i think the term was invented post-9/11 to describe the tactics that some conservatives in the altered geopolitical landscape. I don't think Bush was rubbing his hands together upon hearing some new term and said "Yeah, I'll be that! It'll fool everyone!"

ReputationRep:
    Um...i think the term was invented post-9/11 to describe the tactics that some conservatives in the altered geopolitical landscape. I don't think Bush was rubbing his hands together upon hearing some new term and said "Yeah, I'll be that! It'll fool everyone!"
    I was referring to the campaign.

ReputationRep:

ugh neocons AND republicans BOTH are detestable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curryADD)
    yes, I want to get rid of guns. I think we don't need them, AND ALL THE HUNTERS WHO SAY WE DO can stop bloody killing animals, it's wrong to kill something that has done nothing to you.
    Um, without hunting, many ecosystems would be overrun with certain types of game. Which is the better option--shooting the animal so that it dies quickly, or letting it starve from famine due to overpopulation? Also, overpopulation increases transmission disease within the animal population.

Pennsylvania has lots of hunters (more per capita than any other state, last I heard), but most of the state is still overpopulated with white-tail deer (the primary game in PA). Each year thousands of acres of public land has to be red-flagged, meaning that it is any hunter with a license is permitted to hunt there, because the deer threaten to strip the land of grass and leafy plants.

You may not like it, but hunting is a very important necessity in keeping animal populations in check, especially the larger game that lack natural predators.

ReputationRep:
    I still don't see how someone can exploit a term, especially one that most non-journalists don't even use.

ReputationRep:
    ugh neocons AND republicans BOTH are detestable!
    hey!

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    agreed, you cant hate someone because of their political beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Um, without hunting, many ecosystems would be overrun with certain types of game. Which is the better option--shooting the animal so that it dies quickly, or letting it starve from famine due to overpopulation? Also, overpopulation increases transmission disease within the animal population.

Pennsylvania has lots of hunters (more per capita than any other state, last I heard), but most of the state is still overpopulated with white-tail deer (the primary game in PA). Each year thousands of acres of public land has to be red-flagged, meaning that it is any hunter with a license is permitted to hunt there, because the deer threaten to strip the land of grass and leafy plants.

You may not like it, but hunting is a very important necessity in keeping animal populations in check, especially the larger game that lack natural predators.
    no they wouldn't. actually, the system would go back to equilibrium.....because the predators would boom also, eat the animals that were overpopulated and then diminish again. the way nature should be. animals don't need us to keep their food systems in line, it always balances itself back out.

ReputationRep:
    no they wouldn't. actually, the system would go back to equilibrium.....because the predators would boom also, eat the animals that were overpopulated and then diminish again. the way nature should be. animals don't need us to keep their food systems in line, it always balances itself back out.
    Humans are the only predators for many types of hunted game--like deer.

What about for foxes in texas?

ReputationRep:
    maybe if humans hadn't killed their natural predators.....like wolves....

and mountain lions

and bobcats

and blackcats

and bears

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    sorry! :p:

ReputationRep:
    maybe if humans hadn't killed their natural predators.....like wolves....

and mountain lions

and bobcats

and blackcats

and bears
    i'm sorry, but you know very little about wildlife, apparently.

Pennsylvania has both bear, mountain lions and bobcats, but none of those creatures can kill deer, unless the deer is sick or wounded. Bears are omnivores, but their diet is mainly berries and small game, not deer. Bobcats and mountain lions are not large enough to down a deer, which normally stand about 5-6 feet tall. Both felines normally prey on small game--rabbits, pheasant, grouse, groundhog, etc.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.