Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101mphfastball)
    Gee this is so old the World Series was named after its original Sponsor the World Newspaper.
    2nd where do all the worlds best baseball players play??? Not the UK, some teams have 50% or more players from other countries so if it actually did refer to the world (as in this planet) it would be corrct!!
    Are you arguing the point behind this example or just over the baseball?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Are you arguing the point behind this example or just over the baseball?
    The original refering to the title of the thread, or just the fact someone made a reference to the World Series? I was just clarifying where the name came from.

ReputationRep:
    Ok - let me ask this ... There is a sport and "bob" is by far the best... he beats everyoen he plays - he wins the championship and is crowned ... there is no way for anyone to beat him... he is in a differnet class...

However Bob takes a break for a year and doesnt play in the Championship...

Can he still say he is the champion?

No - because he hasnt competed - its not a matter of whether he WOULD be the champion - its a matter of him BEING the champion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    Ok - let me ask this ... There is a sport and "bob" is by far the best... he beats everyoen he plays - he wins the championship and is crowned ... there is no way for anyone to beat him... he is in a differnet class...

No - because he hasnt competed - its not a matter of whether he WOULD be the champion - its a matter of him BEING the champion
    In baseball because no one else plays it as they have better things to do with their time, America is quite clearly the best country in the world to be playing in. Thus it is fair to assume that the winner of the world series is also the best team in the world whether or not they have played everyone in the world or not. If other countries actually played the sport to any real level i would agree with you however in baseball they dont. The same applies to American football.

ReputationRep:

Well of course not the Bulls lost 2 NBA Championships during MJ's 2 years in baseball and in those 2 years they were not NBA champs and neither was MJ the greatest active basketball player alive.

I don't get your point. The Rockets won both years MJ was playing baseball, but if the rockets decided they weren'y gonna play, they would be the Champs, and Chicaho werent the Champs cause they didn't have MJ, and M wasn't the best active player cause he werent playing. So if you aint playing you can't be the champ, though as an individual athlete it doesnt stop you from being the greatest ever. Nolan Ryan retired in 93 but to this day he is still by far the greatest strikeout pitcher of all time.

I don't get you point, if you don't play, you can't be a current champ, only a former one.

ReputationRep:
    In baseball because no one else plays it as they have better things to do with their time, America is quite clearly the best country in the world to be playing in. Thus it is fair to assume that the winner of the world series is also the best team in the world whether or not they have played everyone in the world or not. If other countries actually played the sport to any real level i would agree with you however in baseball they dont. The same applies to American football.
    So in my example "Bob" is world champion even though he wasnt playing?

ReputationRep:
    Well of course not the Bulls lost 2 NBA Championships during MJ's 2 years in baseball and in those 2 years they were not NBA champs and neither was MJ the greatest active basketball player alive.

I don't get your point. The Rockets won both years MJ was playing baseball, but if the rockets decided they weren'y gonna play, they would be the Champs, and Chicaho werent the Champs cause they didn't have MJ, and M wasn't the best active player cause he werent playing. So if you aint playing you can't be the champ, though as an individual athlete it doesnt stop you from being the greatest ever. Nolan Ryan retired in 93 but to this day he is still by far the greatest strikeout pitcher of all time.

I don't get you point, if you don't play, you can't be a current champ, only a former one.

The point is a simple one - You are saying that to be champion it is enough that you are the best by far ... if thats the case, then playing a competition comprising the people that you claim to be champion of is unecessary

ReputationRep:
    So in my example "Bob" is world champion even though he wasnt playing?
    no i don't get this point either?!!? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    no i don't get this point either?!!? :confused:
    Everyone is Justifying the term "world Champions" on the basis that no one is nearly as good as the US teams.

If that is the case then what makes you a champion is ability - NOT beating everyone else

ReputationRep:
    A ton of countries play baseball. Holland, Italy, Sweden all have pro-ball.
    Japan no.1 sport second highest level only to the US.
    Australia has pro-ball, so does Tiawan.
    France and Germany play baseball.
    Mexico has pro-ball.
    Cuba no.1 sport funded by the state which is why their national team is the best amateur team in the world.
    I could go on, oh year there are about maybe 50 adults teams in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    The point is a simple one - You are saying that to be champion it is enough that you are the best by far ... if thats the case, then playing a competition comprising the people that you claim to be champion of is unecessary
    firstly he didnt say the first bit, secondly no thats not what he is saying either, the people around the rest of the world are so bad at baseball compared to america that the winner of the world series does need to play them to be preceived as the world champions. If i am the best sprinter in England i dont need to run against everyone in England to prove it.

ReputationRep:
    No you are playing against all the other best teams in the world which are in MLB. Therefore if you win the championship you are the best in the world.

ReputationRep:
    A ton of countries play baseball. Holland, Italy, Sweden all have pro-ball.
    Japan no.1 sport second highest level only to the US.
    Australia has pro-ball, so does Tiawan.
    France and Germany play baseball.
    Mexico has pro-ball.
    Cuba no.1 sport funded by the state which is why their national team is the best amateur team in the world.
    I could go on, oh year there are about maybe 50 adults teams in the UK.
    ok generalisation was wrong, hardly anyone plays baseball since it is boring compared to other sports in these countries
    50 teams- thats almost as many as there are in 3 divisions of one sunday league in one city- hardly any

ReputationRep:
    firstly he didnt say the first bit, secondly no thats not what he is saying either, the people around the rest of the world are so bad at baseball compared to america that the winner of the world series does need to play them to be preceived as the world champions. If i am the best sprinter in England i dont need to run against everyone in England to prove it.
    You are missing the point entirely... in my example Bob is just as superior to everyone else as US teams are to the rest of the world...

If US teams are crowned world Champions without beating teams from around the world - then that would mean that BOB in the example would be also....

You fail to see the difference between "The best" and "Champion"

You can be the best sprinter in the UK - but if you dont beat the rest of us - you arent the champion

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is Justifying the term "world Champions" on the basis that no one is nearly as good as the US teams.

If that is the case then what makes you a champion is ability - NOT beating everyone else
    well normally when you have the best abliity you do beat everyone else or prehaps you can provide a consistant example where this doesnt happen

ReputationRep:
    You are missing the point entirely... in my example Bob is just as superior to everyone else as US teams are to the rest of the world...

If US teams are crowned world Champions without beating teams from around the world - then that would mean that BOB in the example would be also....

You fail to see the difference between "The best" and "Champion"

You can be the best sprinter in the UK - but if you dont beat the rest of us - you arent the champion
    ok so who would be the champion in my example since some one is?

ReputationRep:
    well normally when you have the best abliity you do beat everyone else or prehaps you can provide a consistant example where this doesnt happen
    Easy - the "World series"

They are clearly the best teams int he world - but they DONT beat the rest of the teams in the world

ReputationRep:
    ok so who would be the champion in my example since some one is?
    The person who competes against the rest and wins

ReputationRep:
    You would have had to run against them at some point in time, to know you were the best. But that is about being an individual. The best individual baseball player in the world maynot play in the states if he so wishes, but the best collection of the best ball players does.
    However, if you are that damn good at baseball you don't play for the Richmond Dragons you play for a MLB team, unless you wanna play for the Dragons of course.

ReputationRep:
    Dictionary definition:

cham·pi·on ( P ) Pronunciation Key (chmp-n)
    "One that wins first place or first prize in a competition."

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.