Do you hate Americans?

Watch
Apollo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Considering that the trial of Jesus was illegal and it was actually the Jews who pressed for crucifixion instead of imprisonment, you point is not valid.
And it was the roman governor, Pilot, who ok'ed it, so your point isnt valid either
wiwarin_mir
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
And it was the roman governor, Pilot, who ok'ed it, so your point isnt valid either
Actually he washed his hands of the case therefore he neither abstained from a decision and allowed the Jewish leaders to choose the sentence.
Apollo
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by wiwarin_mir)
Actually he washed his hands of the case therefore he neither abstained from a decision and allowed the Jewish leaders to choose the sentence.
He still could have stopped it.

Anyway, back to the real debate :p:
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Talk about going off on a tangent. What does any of this have to do with hating americans? *looks confused*
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Which will last longer, this thread or the Undying Lands?
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Right now the US is the country that Europe (particularly France and Germany) loves to hate so I'm not surprised the thread has been around for so long.

I'm not sure how long it will take for Europe to realize that we aren't the bad guys. Russia is drifting back into an autocracy, rogue nations are acquiring nuclear weapons, and we all need to deal with Islamic fascism. This thread will last for a while until our common problems force us back into bed with one another, like communism in the '80s did.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
The thread, people go off on so many tangents its barely about hating americans anymore.. It's pretty much a free-for-all.. where you can voice concerns, or piss and moan about pretty much anything.
indian
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no they just have their way of life just like any other race of people
Haras Sarah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Hate is too strong a word..I do not like the way some are portrayed on TV..but that can be influenced by bias!

Met some nice ones..they tend to have very good manners and a good sense of humour! But I cannot generalise from the few I have met...I will be sure for deff after been to Florida (going tomoz!).

Think has more to do with conflicting cultures...but also in the US competition is more emphasized than here and other places..so they can come across as slightly arrogant..but this is the way they have been brought up..to succeed!
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by indian)
no they just have their way of life just like any other race of people
I'd never thought of Americans as being a "race" before.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I'd never thought of Americans as being a "race" before.
lol, sarcasm..
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
lol, sarcasm..
I always thought it (being American) as more of a "club" really.
Douglas
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
Like the cheyenne social club ?
djchak
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Well, it's a nationality by any means, and can therefore be subject to prejudice...
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
lol, really? A club? like.. a bunch of 9 yr old boys sitting in a tree house wearing red capes and singing koombyah? (or however it's spelled?):p:
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by djchak)
Well, it's a nationality by any means, and can therefore be subject to prejudice...
These days, there's a huge confusion between ethnicity, nationality, citizenship and race.

I've seen censuses for Canada (not the US unfortunately) and when people have to list their ethnic origin, they have to choose between English, Scottish, French, Inuit, Polish but then you have Canadian. This basically indicates that Canadian to some people has become an ethnicity. This is also the case of the US where people like to refer to themselves as "All-American" which is a bit of an extension of the WASP term. I can imagine that American people who have origins from the first colonials have such a mixed background that talking about ethnicity by looking back so far is not worth it.
psychic_satori
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
These days, there's a huge confusion between ethnicity, nationality, citizenship and race.

I've seen censuses for Canada (not the US unfortunately) and when people have to list their ethnic origin, they have to choose between English, Scottish, French, Inuit, Polish but then you have Canadian. This basically indicates that Canadian to some people has become an ethnicity.
I think the "Canadian" ethnicity is for people who descend from Native American tribes but who do not consider themselves Inuit (They switch it to Canadian to avoid confusion with being a USA American). It's not really a category for your average Joe Canadian.

This is also the case of the US where people like to refer to themselves as "All-American" which is a bit of an extension of the WASP term. I can imagine that American people who have origins from the first colonials have such a mixed background that talking about ethnicity by looking back so far is not worth it.
Actually, most people I've ever encountered are obsessive about all of their little bits of ethnicities. It's an individuality thing. I've never actually heard of anyone who didn't say "Oh, I'm part German, Polish, etc."
katiesado
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by SamTheMan)
This is also the case of the US where people like to refer to themselves as "All-American" which is a bit of an extension of the WASP term. I can imagine that American people who have origins from the first colonials have such a mixed background that talking about ethnicity by looking back so far is not worth it.
Calling yourself "All-American" is only for politicians and beauty queen hopefuls. It's also a good way to sell trucks with 4 wheel drive. "American" is only a cultural identity in an ideological sense.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
Russia is drifting back into an autocracy...
And it's meant to be a member of the EU soon.
drago di giada
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by katiesado)
Calling yourself "All-American" is only for politicians and beauty queen hopefuls. It's also a good way to sell trucks with 4 wheel drive. "American" is only a cultural identity in an ideological sense.
"Melting Pot".. think about it.. no matter WHO you talk to.. (maybe with the exception of Native Americans.. depending on how you look at it.. they/we were here first BUT they/we migrated from europe etc. back in the day.) No matter WHO you talk to.. they all have mixed ancestry (most americans anyways).. you ask someone.. "ethnicity?" you get.."russian, german, italian, czech, etc etc..." you very rarely come across an "american" with a set ancestry.. "Italian" and if you notice.. not "american"...

(sorry for the confusing aspect but eh, whatever.. lol.)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads