Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djchak)
    Well, it's a nationality by any means, and can therefore be subject to prejudice...
    These days, there's a huge confusion between ethnicity, nationality, citizenship and race.

I've seen censuses for Canada (not the US unfortunately) and when people have to list their ethnic origin, they have to choose between English, Scottish, French, Inuit, Polish but then you have Canadian. This basically indicates that Canadian to some people has become an ethnicity. This is also the case of the US where people like to refer to themselves as "All-American" which is a bit of an extension of the WASP term. I can imagine that American people who have origins from the first colonials have such a mixed background that talking about ethnicity by looking back so far is not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    These days, there's a huge confusion between ethnicity, nationality, citizenship and race.

I've seen censuses for Canada (not the US unfortunately) and when people have to list their ethnic origin, they have to choose between English, Scottish, French, Inuit, Polish but then you have Canadian. This basically indicates that Canadian to some people has become an ethnicity.
    I think the "Canadian" ethnicity is for people who descend from Native American tribes but who do not consider themselves Inuit (They switch it to Canadian to avoid confusion with being a USA American). It's not really a category for your average Joe Canadian.

This is also the case of the US where people like to refer to themselves as "All-American" which is a bit of an extension of the WASP term. I can imagine that American people who have origins from the first colonials have such a mixed background that talking about ethnicity by looking back so far is not worth it.
    Actually, most people I've ever encountered are obsessive about all of their little bits of ethnicities. It's an individuality thing. I've never actually heard of anyone who didn't say "Oh, I'm part German, Polish, etc."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    This is also the case of the US where people like to refer to themselves as "All-American" which is a bit of an extension of the WASP term. I can imagine that American people who have origins from the first colonials have such a mixed background that talking about ethnicity by looking back so far is not worth it.
    Calling yourself "All-American" is only for politicians and beauty queen hopefuls. It's also a good way to sell trucks with 4 wheel drive. "American" is only a cultural identity in an ideological sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Russia is drifting back into an autocracy...
    And it's meant to be a member of the EU soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiesado)
    Calling yourself "All-American" is only for politicians and beauty queen hopefuls. It's also a good way to sell trucks with 4 wheel drive. "American" is only a cultural identity in an ideological sense.
    "Melting Pot".. think about it.. no matter WHO you talk to.. (maybe with the exception of Native Americans.. depending on how you look at it.. they/we were here first BUT they/we migrated from europe etc. back in the day.) No matter WHO you talk to.. they all have mixed ancestry (most americans anyways).. you ask someone.. "ethnicity?" you get.."russian, german, italian, czech, etc etc..." you very rarely come across an "american" with a set ancestry.. "Italian" and if you notice.. not "american"...

(sorry for the confusing aspect but eh, whatever.. lol.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drago di giada)
    "Melting Pot".. think about it.. no matter WHO you talk to.. (maybe with the exception of Native Americans.. depending on how you look at it.. they/we were here first BUT they/we migrated from europe etc. back in the day.) No matter WHO you talk to.. they all have mixed ancestry (most americans anyways).. you ask someone.. "ethnicity?" you get.."russian, german, italian, czech, etc etc..." you very rarely come across an "american" with a set ancestry.. "Italian" and if you notice.. not "american"...

(sorry for the confusing aspect but eh, whatever.. lol.)
    yes, you only get "American" if you're abroad but within our own country we don't really think of "Americanness" as a state of mind or as a culture that actually exists. our lack of roots and tradition is confusing to us so we try to attach ourselves to something, our perceived ancestry and "heritage".

ReputationRep:
    yes, you only get "American" if you're abroad but within our own country we don't really think of "Americanness" as a state of mind or as a culture that actually exists. our lack of roots and tradition is confusing to us so we try to attach ourselves to something, our perceived ancestry and "heritage".
    Hmm, I would have to disgree with "our lack of roots and tradition is confusing "

Our traditions and roots are based on american history and ideaolgy, good or bad, and so that defines our culture...while ethnicity plays a part, it does not solely define being an american....

But that said, I agree with some of the ideas in the comment.

Anyway, you can love us or hate us, but "Americans" (citizens of the USA in particular) have a distinct culture, that doesn't fit in to any other culture, and therefore cannot be defined easily....

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would have to disgree with "our lack of roots and tradition is confusing "

Our traditions and roots are based on american history and ideaolgy, good or bad, and so that defines our culture...while ethnicity plays a part, it does not solely define being an american....

But that said, I agree with some of the ideas in the comment.

Anyway, you can love us or hate us, but "Americans" (citizens of the USA in particular) have a distinct culture, that doesn't fit in to any other culture, and therefore cannot be defined easily....
    So what does this culture that 'doesn't fit into any other culture' consist of then?

ReputationRep:
    Most likely because america has so many different cultures all in one, we can't find just one and call it the "american culture." So we attach to different ancestries... Italian, German, Irish, etc. Places with established cultures.. fixed.. what have you.

ReputationRep:
    so do 230 people on here hate all americans?? we might have a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaeda)
    so do 230 people on here hate americans?? we might have a problem
    yes, its concerning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    yes, its concerning
    It's not the statistic that concerns me, more the hypocricy.

I can well imagine a poll asking "Do you hate Indians/Pakistanis/Romanian Gypsies/ etc"? and the reply posts would quickly fill up with the normal bed wetting responses........."How can anyone make such "sweeping generalizations?......there are good and bad ones......blah, blah, blah.....I've just poo'd my pants......etc"

But when it comes to hating Americans these lunatics can hit the "yes" button without any reservation. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of evil in the world and I don't think America is worthy of so much hatred. I think these 230 people need to put things in perspective.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of evil in the world and I don't think America is worthy of so much hatred. I think these 230 people need to put things in perspective.
    I think they need to seek medical help.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it's called stupidity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    yes, its concerning
    I think people are taking it a little too seriously...
    I dont think you should be that concerned, its probably just a non-serious vote...because USA are hugely influential and powerful, and not seen as "the victim" people feel they can handle a bit of stick, and some people resent SOME of their politicians arrogance in the manner they have dealt with other countries, but i don't think its indicative of any hatred towards individual Americans, its more of just a reflex sport to bash the USA, as it has been with the Americans towards the French

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I think people are taking it a little too seriously...
    I dont think you should be that concerned, its probably just a non-serious vote...because USA are hugely influential and powerful, and not seen as "the victim" people feel they can handle a bit of stick, and some people resent SOME of their politicians arrogance in the manner they have dealt with other countries , but i don't think its indicative of any hatred towards individual Americans, its more of just a reflex sport to bash the USA, as it has been with the Americans towards the French
    I don't think you can resent the US politicians without resenting the majority of the American people that voted for them.
    I voted for Bush in November because I support his foreign and most of his domestic policies. If you don't like Bush, wouldn't it make sense to also dislike me, as an individual American, for voting him into power?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can resent the US politicians without resenting the majority of the American people that voted for them.
    I voted for Bush in November because I support his foreign and most of his domestic policies. If you don't like Bush, wouldn't it make sense to also dislike me, as an individual American, for voting him into power?
    I just meant you cannot generalise certain behaviours to every American...whether you can like someone on a personal level when you dislike their political beliefs is another debate for another thread....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I just meant you cannot generalise certain behaviours to every American...whether you can like someone on a personal level when you dislike their political beliefs is another debate for another thread....

Honestly I'm not suprised that 230 people voted this way. I think if we did have a poll among students in the UK, the results would come out the same.

I believe there was similar results in a student poll in Canada, back in Nov. I'll try to find a link for clarification.

Let's face it, outside the US, america bashing is the "hip new thing".

You would have to be pretty bolkd to say you liked something about the US, just out of the blue...

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I'm not suprised that 230 people voted this way. I think if we did have a poll among students in the UK, the results would come out the same.

I believe there was similar results in a student poll in Canada, back in Nov. I'll try to find a link for clarification.

Let's face it, outside the US, america bashing is the "hip new thing".

You would have to be pretty bolkd to say you liked something about the US, just out of the blue...
    I like loads of American music...and the films of Martin Scorcese, and Robert De Niro tons of stuff

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.