Do you hate Americans?

Watch
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Howie, the Mormans are famous for their geneological record keeping. A former co-worker of mine (a morman) told me that many people have traced themselves back to the time of Christ, after that (he claims) they use biblical records to trace you back to Adam and Eve. At that time, he was in the process of tracing his geneological records....never found out if he got back to A&E.
No doubt they made most of it up. It would be quite extraordinary to trace your family back 3000 years - usually only descendants of the old aristocracy can usually trace theirs back over 1000 years. Also, how cn they have traced themselves back to Adam and Eve when they didn't actually exist? It's all subject to their personal beliefs.
Howard
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Douglas)
Howie, the Mormans are famous for their geneological record keeping. A former co-worker of mine (a morman) told me that many people have traced themselves back to the time of Christ, after that (he claims) they use biblical records to trace you back to Adam and Eve. At that time, he was in the process of tracing his geneological records....never found out if he got back to A&E.
That's just *******s I'm afraid.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LH)
No doubt they made most of it up. It would be quite extraordinary to trace your family back 3000 years - usually only descendants of the old aristocracy can usually trace theirs back over 1000 years. Also, how cn they have traced themselves back to Adam and Eve when they didn't actually exist? It's all subject to their personal beliefs.
Exactly. If the families of Aristocrats are very hard pressed to go back beyond 1066 it's very difficult for me to believe a Morman, basically a Puritan commoner, can go back to Christ or even further. I think there's a certain amount of wishful thinking and self-delusion going on here.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LH)
As Douglas said they do that by biblical analysis. Adam begot Cain who begot so-and-so who begot so-and-so............ :rolleyes:
drago di giada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
Some would say "realist"
unfortunately you're right..

would you say the glass is half empty or half full? :p:
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Since we are on the subject of family trees, I thought you all would find this very interesting. Bush and Powell are actually related!

http://msn.ancestry.com/landing/msn/...bush3/tree.htm
drago di giada
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
Since we are on the subject of family trees, I thought you all would find this very interesting. Bush and Powell are actually related!

Do you think that is a reliable site? That is most likely a joke.. do the research yourself.. then you'll have no doubts.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

And both members of the Royal family......apparently. :rolleyes:
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

So are Bush and Kerry.

Though that family tree looks higly suspect to me.
G_S
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
cant put my view across
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
And both members of the Royal family......apparently. :rolleyes:
Bush is related to five kings: Henry I, Henry II, Robert II of Scotland, William I of Scotland and Edward I of England.

You can read more here: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/...in255808.shtml

It's from CBS news, but I know it is accurate, having read similar stories about Bush's royal ancestry in other places.
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by drago di giada)
Do you think that is a reliable site? That is most likely a joke.. do the research yourself.. then you'll have no doubts.
It's MSN, so it's definitely a reputable source.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It's MSN, so it's definitely a reputable source.
It seems to me that Bush is distantly related to just about every famous person in the world. 17th cousin to Lady Diana? 17th cousin! Any idea how difficult that is to prove and what a tenuous relationship that is? If it's true of Bush it must be true of just about everybody......I suppose I'm related distantly to William the Conquerer. :rolleyes:
naivesincerity
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
It seems to me that Bush is distantly related to just about every famous person in the world. 17th cousin to Lady Diana? 17th cousin! Any idea how difficult that is to prove and what a tenuous relationship that is? If it's true of Bush it must be true of just about everybody......I suppose I'm related distantly to William the Conquerer. :rolleyes:
I'm distantly related to Owambe the Orangatang, from near Nairobi, Kenya
Made in the USA
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ironically, he may be distantly related to a lot of the people on this forum who hate him.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
I'm distantly related to Owambe the Orangatang, from near Nairobi, Kenya
I think you can dispense with "distantly"
SamTheMan
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Half English and half Irish.....(not half Brit)
It's perfectly fine to say your ethnicity is half British and half Irish. Saying half English, might be more specific. British is an ethnic origin you can claim.
at least lara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ironically, he may be distantly related to a lot of the people on this forum who hate him.
bush and kerry were pretty closely related as well
Douglas
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Agent Smith)
The word 'reliability' springs to mind. How on earth can the Mormons be so sure, so far back?
Good question Smith, I've heard that many people (not necessarily Mormans) use the Morman archives to trace their family history. I just googled "mormon genealogy", seems like a lot of stuff there.
Douglas
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by LH)
Also, how cn they have traced themselves back to Adam and Eve when they didn't actually exist? It's all subject to their personal beliefs.
To my knowledge, they use the bible,.....you know, Mary begat Jesus, solomon's wife bagat so and so, Eve (of adam and eve) begat Abel and Cain etc etc etc. Certainly, you have to be a bible bouncer to believe this stuff.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads