Jamii
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi!

I'm thinking about taking IB next year and so far these are the subjects I'm thinking of choosing:

HL:
- History
- English Lit
- Biology or Psychology

SL
- Maths
- French or German ab initio (which of these is better for someone who isn't great amazing at languages!)
- Biology or Psychology

I know you're meant to take an art or something but my sister, who does IB, says that I would be able to switch it..

Are these good subject choices? I'm not sure whether to do Biology or Psychology as my third higher level subject.. I've heard there is an awful lot to remember with Biology HL and I was worried about that mixed with History?

Is this a good set of subjects?

Thank you very much everyone!
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jamii)
Hi!

I'm thinking about taking IB next year and so far these are the subjects I'm thinking of choosing:

HL:
- History
- English Lit
- Biology or Psychology

SL
- Maths
- French or German ab initio (which of these is better for someone who isn't great amazing at languages!)
- Biology or Psychology

I know you're meant to take an art or something but my sister, who does IB, says that I would be able to switch it..

Are these good subject choices? I'm not sure whether to do Biology or Psychology as my third higher level subject.. I've heard there is an awful lot to remember with Biology HL and I was worried about that mixed with History?

Bump :hat2:
pbunny
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jamii)
Hi!

HL:
- History
- English Lit
- Biology or Psychology

SL
- Maths
- Biology or Psychology

You're subject combo is great if you want to study law, a social science or english. However, you won't be able to study a science/medicine etc at university (you need HL chemistry in addition to HL biology). You also won't be able to study a maths related course (maths, engineering, economics etc). What are you intending on studying? It's important to inform us as different courses have different higher level subject requirements.

Biology or Psychology HL: I take both at higher level. I personally think psychology is easier thus far (bear in mind i only started IB in September so my opinion may very well differ this time next year). Both are extremely heavy on memorisation. However, one major pro about psychology is that you already know the questions before the exam - the syllabus points (learning outcomes) are the only possible things you can be tested on. So you prepare a sample essay for every essay when you're going through each learning outcome in class, and you're assured some of those learning outcomes will show up in your exam. However, the catch is that there is way to much information to remember (case studies to be specific) and writing the essays within the time limit is not easy. Judging from your subject combo it seems like essay writing is something you're good at so you shouldn't struggle too much.

Biology is super interesting and I love how everything is so much more detailed now! However, with that being said there is so much to remember that exam time will be hell. Biology HL is known to be the subject with the most amount of information to memorise. Because of the how strict the marking of the exam is (all your answers must correlate to those in the marking scheme, as in if you're answer is correct but isn't on the marking scheme then you don't get the mark(s)) and the sheer amount of information you need to recall to do well in the exam it's quite hard to get a 7 (i think if I remember correctly that the same % of candidates got 7's in bio/psychology). I personally find biology more interesting than psychology but this of course may not apply to you as I'm a maths/science oriented student and you seem like you're not.

With hat being said, take psychology HL and biology SL. I say this because you literally need to learn double the content if you take biology HL. Where as with psychology, there is very little difference between SL/HL. So doing biology SL and psychology HL will reduce your workload significantly plus you'll have an easier time getting a higher score in biology.

French or German ab initio: Ehh this a hard choice! I actually opted for spanish ab intio instead of continuing on with french. I wasn't bad at french, in fact I got an A* in IGCSE french, I just wanted to take the easier way out. And so far the ab initio class is proving to be much easier than language B. Several of my friends take french B (SL) and all I hear them moan about is how hard french is. I sure dodged a bullet there! However, unlike you i'm good at learning languages so picking up spanish from scratch hasn't proven to be difficult but I fear that it will be hard for you. Therefore, I recommend you stick with french if you're not confident in your language skills. The ab intio classes go at a really fast pace so if that isn't something you fancy, don't take German. I think you should discuss this with your teacher, he/she will be able to tell you how they think you'll perform in French B. If they say you've got a good chance of doing well then stick with french. And take advantage of the time you've got. Start learning extra vocab and practice your oral as much as possible as it's a big component of language B.

Good Luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (130)
59.09%
No (48)
21.82%
Not sure (42)
19.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise