snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm currently working at a Big Four, finishing my ACA in the audit department. My real dream is to work in Investment banking (ECM/DCM/M&A) or equity research (buy or sell side).

Although the direct jump from one to the other has been made (including colleagues from my firm) I know its a bit of a long shot so I'm probably doing some time at my firm's Transactions service line as that will give me more relevant skills.

The thing I'm wondering is which of the many possible departments would give me the best option for transferring to a career at a bank in the aforementioned fields. My choices are:

- Business Modelling: with this on my CV I will definitely qualify on grounds of having good financial modelling skills/experience. My only concern is that I might not get enough commercial/analytical experience but that might be unfounded.

- Transaction Services: this is due diligence. A lot of thorough analysis, seems like an ok lead in to equity research. Only problem is that there is no direct modelling experience, perhaps only reviewing some models.

- Valuations: valuing companies. Seems quite interesting, but limited on the financial modelling.

- Infrastructure advisory: I guess this would be a good lead in to an infrastructure/project finance analyst/associate job, will also get a fair bit of modelling experience.

- M&A. Funnily enough this is last on my list since when I inquired about what they do in this department at my firm, it seemed mostly just project management with minimal analytical work.

Any thoughts?
Classical Liberal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by snakesnake)
- Transaction Services: this is due diligence. A lot of thorough analysis, seems like an ok lead in to equity research. Only problem is that there is no direct modelling experience, perhaps only reviewing some models.
Curious, what makes you think this?
snakesnake
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Classical Liberal)
Curious, what makes you think this?
Met with someone who works in TS and they explained to me what they did.

Basically they review a company's financials, both historical and forecasts in great detail. I think that's not too unlike equity research, certainly some transferable skills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (665)
33.52%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (845)
42.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (385)
19.41%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (89)
4.49%

Watched Threads