The Student Room Group

Settled graduate schemes

I am not 100% sure what to do with the rest of my life. I am considering many things, but obviously I need a job. I want a graduate scheme, because I want to be settled somewhere, in a job, for two or more years while I figure things out. Not the best reason, I know. However, so many of the schemes require flexibility throughout the UK. Why are they obsessed with sending people all over the country? I just want to be settled and based in London for a few years. Most of the financial services grad schemes are in London, but so many of the others are not, and have regional rotations. It's annoying.
Reply 1
Original post by s.a.u
I am not 100% sure what to do with the rest of my life. I am considering many things, but obviously I need a job. I want a graduate scheme, because I want to be settled somewhere, in a job, for two or more years while I figure things out. Not the best reason, I know. However, so many of the schemes require flexibility throughout the UK. Why are they obsessed with sending people all over the country? I just want to be settled and based in London for a few years. Most of the financial services grad schemes are in London, but so many of the others are not, and have regional rotations. It's annoying.

The more flexible you are, the more opportunities there will be for you.

I'm applying to graduate schemes now for when I graduate next summer and while I would prefer to be based in London or Manchester, I'm just being open minded about it all. Some may not like it, but you'll get to explore different parts of the country, possibly the world. Not ideal to some but just try looking at the positives you can gain.
Original post by s.a.u

I want a graduate scheme, because I want to be settled somewhere, in a job, for two or more years while I figure things out.

However, so many of the schemes require flexibility throughout the UK. Why are they obsessed with sending people all over the country?

Sorry, who is misunderstanding the situation here? Most graduate schemes are nothing but a snazzy title for companies that bulk recruit graduates. They don't tend to move people around the country, just around departments at Head Offices.

The more competitive graduate schemes move graduates around the country and the world, to expose them to all aspects of the business, to test their calibre in a range of situations, and to ensure they are then put on the best fit career track after that.

There are probably 50 non 'graduate scheme' opportunities to every place on a so called 'graduate scheme', and only about 2% of graduate roles require you to move to more than one location.
Mate i need help here too

Gonna be graduating but dont know what i want to do. i do law.

all i know is i want a job which is 9-5 ie where i can relax at my home in london, gives me some job prospects in case i do want to get off my arse, and pays maybe 16-k to 20k (not more because i dont what that much responsibility)

Any suggestions
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Mate i need help here too

Gonna be graduating but dont know what i want to do. i do law.

all i know is i want a job which is 9-5 ie where i can relax at my home in london, gives me some job prospects in case i do want to get off my arse, and pays maybe 16-k to 20k (not more because i dont what that much responsibility)

Any suggestions

Hi. Have you got a job now. I really need a job. I feel like I have met a roadblock. I don’t know where to apply. I also studied Law but in Nigeria, though I have my UK citizenship.

Quick Reply

Latest