The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Best and worst thing about studying at this uni?

Have been accepted here, but before making my choice, would like to know the highlight of the university or city of Southampton as well as the main compromise of the University!
Reply 1
Really nice campus. Cheap living. Great university with superb research facilities and reputation across the board.

Though I've only been here two months so far.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Am also a 1st year. Southampton is clearly a world class international university which means academically it is a very interesting place to study. I had heard about this before going to university and didn't know what people meant but now I know what they mean. The atmosphere is constructive, the library is nice and I also have access to a subject specific study area which is nice. I think the weather is great, although I guess I cant compare to around the UK at the same time but being in the south it generally should have better weather than further north. The sports facilities are good, I like that the athletics track is relatively nearby.
My issues with the university are that, my accommodation isn't great as people and pipes are noisy which make it harder to sleep but then again it is cheap and I think you get that anywhere. I'm sure if you pay for good accommodation it will be better(I've heard Highfield Halls are great!). The town is also not very well equipped for cycling around, drivers just aren't aware! The students union is not a member of the NUS which I find silly.
But overall it is great!
Original post by speedstar_mm
Am also a 1st year. Southampton is clearly a world class international university which means academically it is a very interesting place to study. I had heard about this before going to university and didn't know what people meant but now I know what they mean. The atmosphere is constructive, the library is nice and I also have access to a subject specific study area which is nice. I think the weather is great, although I guess I cant compare to around the UK at the same time but being in the south it generally should have better weather than further north. The sports facilities are good, I like that the athletics track is relatively nearby.
My issues with the university are that, my accommodation isn't great as people and pipes are noisy which make it harder to sleep but then again it is cheap and I think you get that anywhere. I'm sure if you pay for good accommodation it will be better(I've heard Highfield Halls are great!). The town is also not very well equipped for cycling around, drivers just aren't aware! The students union is not a member of the NUS which I find silly.
But overall it is great!

You know, I never thought much of Southhampton. But looking at the rankings now, it seems it's gone up a lot to being quite respectable now. Though still not world class.
Reply 4
Original post by speedstar_mm
But overall it is great!

I wouldn't worry about not being us not being with NUS. SUSU would have to pay an extortionate amount per year to be a member. Personally I would rather they kept it and spent it on important things at the University. You can use your student card pretty much anywhere and there are tons of discount codes online!

Original post by busybody4
Have been accepted here, but before making my choice, would like to know the highlight of the university or city of Southampton as well as the main compromise of the University!

Highlight: Damn, there are quite a few. It's very cheap to live here, the nightclubs are great, great sports facilities, very green, loads of funding, tons of societies... the list goes on!

Compromise: I would probably say it's quite far from the city... but it's not a big deal. Supermarkets are dotted all around us (5-10 mins max.) and so are nightclubs. You might just need to go to the city for shopping but it's just jumping on a bus (with your free bus pass!). I've only been to the city 5/6 times since I started in September.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Sorry but could someone explain me what's the drawback of student union not being in the NUS? (also, what is NUS?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending