The Student Room Group

How do you pay for the accomodation costs?

I went to an open day a week ago, and while I realise, students don't exactly live in palaces with maids and stuff, a price tag of £80 (minimum) a week without catering makes me wonder if university is only easy for the rich parents kids.

Given we have £80, and students are being paid £5.13 an hour, you're looking at working 16 hours a week just to pay the bare minimum.

That doesn't include food, entertainment , books etc.

I know parents are available to help I was just wondering how hard it really gets.
Well most people will also get maintenance loans to cover these costs anyway, so if you're sensible with your money it shouldn't be hard at all.
This is what I'm wondering too. I heard you can cover accommodation costs (rent) with a student loan but what about food/everything else???
Original post by Shadow2009
This is what I'm wondering too. I heard you can cover accommodation costs (rent) with a student loan but what about food/everything else???

You'll still have money left once you've paid accommodation costs with your student loan, its a matter of budgeting or getting a job
Original post by fieldy_xo
You'll still have money left once you've paid accommodation costs with your student loan, its a matter of budgeting or getting a job

Depends how much loan you get and the cost of the halls you are allocated at your chosen uni. If your loan is £3.5k and your halls are £4k you won't have money left over!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending