Postgraduate Choices? Watch

Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello,

I'm currently studying Law via The Open Universirty, course code Q79. I have always been a forward thinker and planner and I have decided that I would like to go further and study at Master's level.

My question. Is it possible or viable to finsish studying Law to then study a Master's Degree in Criminology? or would I have to say within the Law subject?

Thank you
nonswimmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It would depend how much overlap there is between law and criminology.

Doing a Masters degree is not like doing another first degree. They build on knowledge you have already acquired, either through professional studies or an undergraduate degree.
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
(Original post by nonswimmer)

Doing a Masters degree is not like doing another first degree. They build on knowledge you have already acquired, either through professional studies or an undergraduate degree.

I see. Thank you for your reply. :-)
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lee R)
Hello,

I'm currently studying Law via The Open Universirty, course code Q79. I have always been a forward thinker and planner and I have decided that I would like to go further and study at Master's level.

My question. Is it possible or viable to finsish studying Law to then study a Master's Degree in Criminology? or would I have to say within the Law subject?

Thank you
If in doubt its worth emailing universities to see if they consider a Law degree appropriate. Do make sure you consider funding in your plans though, there are no tuition fee loans from student finance available, only a career development loan which you pay back one month after study and isn't guaranteed. And do be warned that for most careers a masters is not usually necessary.
noodlepie83
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I am currently studying for an MA Criminology & Criminal Justice at Keele University. There are people on my course who did just Law and another who did International Relations and Politics. I think it would depend greatly upon where you want to go. My course is block taught so you can still work (its 3 days 9-5 every 2-3 months.. 12 days total) you then go away and do the assignments. If your used to distance learning I reccomend it as you need to be very self motivating. Due to the naure of it, and the level of independent reading, having a different background wouldnt be an issue (they have given new people an introductory reading list). What it has doen is enhanced the class discussion as it adds new perspectives, they learn of us and we from them. However, other universities may not be as open to graduates with a narrow understanding of criminological theory. As stated above, best way is to e-mail potential universities and ask! Best of Luck. Nic
c2uk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nonswimmer)

You'll find that quite often this isn't actually the case. There are a considerable amount of programmes out there that accept applicants from related subjects, and even master programmes where it doesn't matter what subject you studied.

Anyhow, OP, any reason you want to go to Criminology instead of sticking with Law?
Balloon Baboon
Rep:
?
(Original post by c2uk)
You'll find that quite often this isn't actually the case. There are a considerable amount of programmes out there that accept applicants from related subjects, and even master programmes where it doesn't matter what subject you studied.

Anyhow, OP, any reason you want to go to Criminology instead of sticking with Law?

I'm hoping to one day become a Criminal Profiler or work within investigations. I believe Psychology and Criminology would be most beneficial, however, I have already started my degree in Law.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (227)
39.27%
No - but I will (40)
6.92%
No - I don't want to (41)
7.09%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (270)
46.71%

Watched Threads