How the heck do you make a winning art portfolio? Watch

lo-li-ta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi! I've just got the confirmation that unis have got my application, but I'm starting to think about how to put together my fine art portfolio for any interviews. Problem is, there's so much conflicting evidence on the internet - how do I go about it? From presenting it, to what pieces to choose? Some ppl say you need to show progress in an idea, and others say you need to bookend your portfolio with your strongest work, etc... what's the best way?

It's early days, and I guess that the unis will probably detail what they want, but do any of you have tips or advice? My issue as an artist is that I have a few favourite materials and styles, and so showing a very broad skill set is kinda hard for me, unless I drop in random pieces that are more experimental (but aren't necessarily my favourites). Is that good or not so good an idea?

Can you guys talk me through how you organised your portfolios? Any pictures of them that you've got would be rad. Sorry for all the questions.
Tnx in advance!
Carnationlilyrose
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lo-li-ta)
Hi! I've just got the confirmation that unis have got my application, but I'm starting to think about how to put together my fine art portfolio for any interviews. Problem is, there's so much conflicting evidence on the internet - how do I go about it? From presenting it, to what pieces to choose? Some ppl say you need to show progress in an idea, and others say you need to bookend your portfolio with your strongest work, etc... what's the best way?

It's early days, and I guess that the unis will probably detail what they want, but do any of you have tips or advice? My issue as an artist is that I have a few favourite materials and styles, and so showing a very broad skill set is kinda hard for me, unless I drop in random pieces that are more experimental (but aren't necessarily my favourites). Is that good or not so good an idea?

Can you guys talk me through how you organised your portfolios? Any pictures of them that you've got would be rad. Sorry for all the questions.
Tnx in advance!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=974132
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads