Gym advice Watch

LookIts_Liam
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I joined a gym a couple of days ago, and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice with the routine I have going on.

I'm 18, 5'6, 58, and am really aiming to build muscle and put on weight. I'm already fairly lean and play a lot of sport, my cardio is good and I have good stamina but I'd like to get stronger and just generally increase muscle mass all over my body.

The programme that was created for me at the gym is as follows:

Treadmill - 15 minutes
-------
Leg press 80kgs/ 3x10
Leg extension 30kgs/ 3x10
------
Bench press 45kgs/ 3x10 (<--- the gym only has a smith machine - is this a problem?)
Chest Fly 8kgs each arm/ 3x10
V-traction 40kgs/ 3x10
Shoulder press 12.5kgs/ 3x10
------
Lat raise 6kgs each arm/ 3x10
Bicep curl 10kgs each arm/ 3x10
Tricep extension 12kgs/3x10

This is what I have so far. Is there anything I should add to this in order to gain mass more quickly?

One final thing, I'm going to buy some supplements from Bulk Powders - but there's so much choice and I don't know what is needed. Should I be taking creatine? And should I be taking something like this: http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by...y-protein.html or http://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/shop-by...y-protein.html It's quite confusing when you've never really done this sort of training before.

Thanks in advance for helping
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's pretty ****, gym staff generally know nothing about lifting. Only having a smith is a problem, it's just not as good as a bar, so try to find a gym with a bar. Look up ice cream fitness 5x5, in the short term use the smith if you must.

Don't try and gain mass too quickly, you'll get fat. Eat a surplus and make an effort to get a decent bit protein in every meal- 1.5g per kg body weight is plenty if you want to count. You should be able to get it from actually foods which is better since it has more nutritional value but get protein powder if you'd find it more convenient. There's no need to take creatine if you don't want to, it gives you a little more in the tan for strength. Don't bother with anything else
yo radical one
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The gym staff created that? :curious:

I don't mean to sound arrogant, but I've had no form sports science training and I could create a better routine that that rubbish
Balloon Baboon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Want to build solid muscle?

5x5
Squats
Deadlift
Bench Press

80% of your maximum lift. Forget wasting money of supplements. Wait until you hit a plateau then consider Creatine. Until then just eat a clean, high protein diet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (329)
37.3%
No - but I will (71)
8.05%
No - I don't want to (63)
7.14%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (419)
47.51%

Watched Threads