Paying bills Watch

Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I just paid my first bill ever having used key metres in the past and I put their account in, sort code etc but I put my name as a reference. When I was posted the bill they spelt my surname wrong, no idea how they got my name because I certainly never contacted them before moving into this student house.

Is this right? I have two separate references but you can only put one reference on one payee. If I've done it wrong can I get my money back? I also paid gas and electric in one payment, seeing as it's to the same account.

Will they automatically return the money if there's no valid reference, aka the numbers? Also how am I supposed to attached multiple references to the same payee?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I have paid fuel bills online I've always had to put the account number in as the reference. If you have a separate gas and electric bill you may have to pay separately. Contact your energy company to check where the payment has been received and if you can merge the two accounts into one dual fuel one.

Then set up direct debit, it's so much easier!
Yemiisii
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know about all this stuff. I get my Sugar Daddy to pay for my bills :jiggy:
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
if you get separate bills it's better to make two payments with the account number from your bill as the reference. As it is the whole amount may go against one bill and they may think you haven't paid the other.

You can't easily get money back if you do it wrong and it can take ages on the phone to convince then you have actually paid when the red bills arrive. If you are lucky an actual person will review the payment and have the sense to know what you wanted to do. If you are unlucky they will send the payment back for lacking the right reference. If you are very unlikely their computer will slide it off somewhere where no-one can trace it for weeks,

When you aren't sure what to do about a bill phone their customer services and ask.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (490)
37.69%
No - but I will (100)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (88)
6.77%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (622)
47.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise